Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 14,619 times

Advertisements

This whole thread is a wonderful example of the folly of seeking authoritative expert information via Internet discussions and blogs, etc. It's kinda like doing Internal Medicine or getting legal advice by majority vote.

In the U.S. any legitimate, licensed surveyor who provides a "real" survey for less than $1,000 is working at a loss. In some rare situations close to his office in a place already worked that amount may be $750, but that is a exceptional situation.

If you bought a pack of sweets for a nickle 40 years ago it is at least 30 cents now. A car that cost $2,000 then will cost $20,000 or more today. A house worth $25,000 would today sell for $250,000 (without the bubble). Therefore, a survey that might have been done for $250 then ought to require about $2,500 to have the same worth.

ANYONE who thinks $650 is not a good price for a proper survey is "right-on". It should make one suspicious - kinda like a bargain box of fruit, that smells funny when opened.

How much did you pay the real estate agent 7% or more? For what? With what liability? A surveyor will often hear complaints if a layman misinterprets an expectation by minute amounts. His liabilities risk rates are higher than most medical practices. Do you really think it is worthwhile to do business with someone who for some reason is offering services for bargain basement fees?

I assume a "legitimate" survey is desired. If I'm wrong then ...

JAC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What you listed is worth about $550 to me and that is what I paid. Thanks for playing.
I'm sure you got exactly what you paid for, a poorly performed survey that did not consider all of the boundary evidence available, by a person who is likely not willing to stand behind the results should they be challenged.

Most of the other surveyors who have posted here have tried to educate you. None of them have a direct interest in your property or the survey of it.

Like most other lines of work, there are those in surveying who will use inadequate equipment, will not perform the proper research or properly extensive fieldwork, will prepare a poorly made map that, even if it looks nice, provides little useful information. These blue light special surveyors cut corners in many places, including research, insurances... all the things that will ensure that your boundaries were properly identified and ensure that the surveyor will stand behind it.

Unlike most other goods or services you might get for your home, a survey is supposed to be a well reasoned professional opinion by an experienced, educated and properly licensed individual based upon a wide variety of evidence according to applicable law. It's not like getting someone to install a tub and toilet for you.

If a plumber or electrician does a poor job, you will know it as soon as your pipes start leaking or the lights don't work. If your remodeling contractor does poor work, you know it as soon as you see the poor workmanship. With a survey, as with many other professional services, you won't know good from bad until a competent professional has reason to come along and challenge it.

The surveyors who have tried to inform you know the value of their service, which is legitimately well beyond $650. And I suspect that the surveyor you hired knows what his work is worth, and would likely panic if a more expensive and reputable surveyor came in to survey your neighbor's property.

This "lecture" isn't necessarily for you. You've demonstrated that you put no value on informed opinion or quality service. I've taken the time in case someone who may be looking for a properly performed survey by a knowledgeable professional might read this.

BTW, do you also select your doctor, attorney, or even your mechanic based solely on price?

Good luck to you. If you ever find yourself in a boundary dispute, you'll need it.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Funny how these newbies just had to sign up and make their first post on this year old thread. Yeah we can't see through that....

Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
l+e

1 posts, read 3,295 times
Hi!

I just want to know how was ur experience with Frank?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Default Obrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Funny how these newbies just had to sign up and make their first post on this year old thread. Yeah we can't see through that....
Obrero,

As a "newbie" i was unaware new posters were unwelcome here. Being new I didn't notice the age of the thread until your comment. I was reading what seemed an interesting thread that could benefit from some professional input so I posted.

Please excuse me for posting a straightforward reply in an effort to clarify a topic that is too often misunderstood by too many.

I am not sure what it is you see when you look through it, but what I wrote is transparent, open and honest for anyone to read, so I hope you did see through it.

If, as you imply, input from new posters with professional experience in the topic being discussed is not welcome, then so be it. I believe Albert Einstein is quoted, “Doing the same thing, the same way, and expecting a different result is insanityâ€. So be it. Enjoy!

JAC

Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSman View Post
Obrero,

As a "newbie" i was unaware new posters were unwelcome here. Being new I didn't notice the age of the thread until your comment. I was reading what seemed an interesting thread that could benefit from some professional input so I posted.

Please excuse me for posting a straightforward reply in an effort to clarify a topic that is too often misunderstood by too many.

I am not sure what it is you see when you look through it, but what I wrote is transparent, open and honest for anyone to read, so I hope you did see through it.

If, as you imply, input from new posters with professional experience in the topic being discussed is not welcome, then so be it. I believe Albert Einstein is quoted, “Doing the same thing, the same way, and expecting a different result is insanity”. So be it. Enjoy!

JAC

You are welcome to post anywhere you want. However your advice was way off. Your advice was that you have to pay more thans $650 to get a "good" survey and you're wrong. Totally and utterly wrong. I got it done for less than that and it was fine. You must be in the survey business.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 52,767 times
I just had a land survey done (no markers placed) in Montvale, NJ on a property of about 13,000 sq. ft., with a fence, deck, and shed in addition to the house. Cost was $500 and it was a thorough survey.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,200 times
When you say $200 each for the markers, are you talking the tape or the stakes? I need an acre surveyed.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
hnj

4 posts, read 13,356 times
Hey JoJoLopes: Can you give me the number and name of the Land Surveyor you used? I need one. We are putting an addition on our home and the number on our survey from 2004 is disconnected. I googled the name(s) of the surveyors (the drawer and the one who signed off) and I can't get in touch with them. I did find the person who signed off, but he now works for a company that does bridges, tunnels and non residential projects. I left a message for him at this current job and he didn't call me back. I'd hate to start from scratch!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 AM

My advice was not that one couldn't get one done, but rather than the one performing it would not long stay in business if it was in fact a thorough survey. It simply costs too much to do a thorough survey and protect the client to charge so little.

I read several people saying they received a good or thorough survey. What qualifies them to even recognize a good or thorough survey. Have they read the the minimum standards for that jurisdiction? Have they researched the cost of the insurance premium to cover the liabilities he assumed when providing the survey? Did he protect you with proof of professional liability insurance? If so qualified why was a surveyor even engaged?

If those posting are like most, "good" or "thorough" means little more than a piece of paper was exchanged that didn't prevent a mortgage closing. Their opinion would change if later mistakes show up and the surveyor or his insurances is not there to protect. Recent history of the sub-prime housing mortgage and economic speculative markets might be enlightening to those who have the interests of the property owner, debtor in mind.

The first thing lost with the low cost is protection for the client. It may be reduced standard of care, or a profitless company with insufficient assets and no insurance to make right a problem. Best wishes, from a poster who was "Totally and utterly wrong" to believe people might care more for quality then low price.

JAC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey