Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

"Perhaps you should chill out. Your completely pointless lecture offers no value, except for the joy you must obtain from hearing yourself spout off.
My home inspection didn't cost that much and the house is huge and ancient. I guarantee the home inspection will take longer than a survey. I have already done some research and $500-$550 seems to be the going rate, so it seems you got on your high horse for nothing. The $650 quote was $100 too high, as I thought."

There are many factors involved. By the way, do you also feel the same way about architects' and engineers' prices?
Surveyors purchase costly equipment, we undergo years of training, we even pass proficiency tests just to be able to practice our profession. We must attend, on a yearly basis Continuing Education Classes to maintain out licenses.
Just to survey your piece of property, a surveyor has to perform the following tasks:
Obtain records of the ORIGINAL survey, not just the latest.
Acquire deeds and other pertinent information about EVERY piece of property touching your land.
Check with all regulatory entities (county, city, etc) for any regulations affecting the property.
Compile the data into a working file.
Visit the site, locate all property monumentation in the immediate vicinity, measure same, locate and tie fences, buildings, improvements, utilities, etc. This involves removing brush, negotiating steep terrain, climbing fences, etc.
Process the data and prepare a drawing of same.
Possibly write a metes and bounds description.
Present the submittal to the client.
Collect our fee (very important).
Be ready to defend our findings IN COURT.
I really do not believe you had any idea as to what that cost should have been, you just didn't like paying the sum mentioned. By the way, in Texas, ALL monuments must be set, according to our laws, so you might mention that to your surveyor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 12,327 times
Default Surveying cost

"Perhaps you should chill out. Your completely pointless lecture offers no value, except for the joy you must obtain from hearing yourself spout off.
My home inspection didn't cost that much and the house is huge and ancient. I guarantee the home inspection will take longer than a survey. I have already done some research and $500-$550 seems to be the going rate, so it seems you got on your high horse for nothing. The $650 quote was $100 too high, as I thought."

There are many factors involved. By the way, do you also feel the same way about architects' and engineers' prices?
Surveyors purchase costly equipment, we undergo years of training, we even pass proficiency tests just to be able to practice our profession. We must attend, on a yearly basis Continuing Education Classes to maintain out licenses.
Just to survey your piece of property, a surveyor has to perform the following tasks:
Obtain records of the ORIGINAL survey, not just the latest.
Acquire deeds and other pertinent information about EVERY piece of property touching your land.
Check with all regulatory entities (county, city, etc) for any regulations affecting the property.
Compile the data into a working file.
Visit the site, locate all property monumentation in the immediate vicinity, measure same, locate and tie fences, buildings, improvements, utilities, etc.
Process the data and prepare a drawing of same.
Possibly write a metes and bounds description.
Present the submittal to the client.
Collect our fee (very important).
Be ready to defend our findings IN COURT.
I really do not believe you had any idea as to what that cost should have been, you just didn't like paying the sum mentioned. By the way, in Texas, ALL monuments must be set, according to our laws, so you might mention that to your surveyor.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
What you listed is worth about $550 to me and that is what I paid. Thanks for playing.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 AM

3 posts, read 15,697 times
I'm a Surveyor, all licensed and all with the 10 year apprenticeship, graduate degree, all the gear, and I wouldn't touch your property for $650.

I'd make maybe $10 an hour if I charged that. Why bother? It's WAY more involved that any home inspection. So, go for it.

And what are you doing getting "QUOTES" on a professional service? Do you get quotes when you need a Doctor or a Lawyer?

But you are willing to trust a huge investment like a single family property to the low bidder.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by knoxgarden; 12-03-2009 at 04:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What you listed is worth about $550 to me and that is what I paid. Thanks for playing.
Guess what? You just got completely ripped off. NO boundary survey can be done and done correctly for $550. You're out $550 and didn't get the job done correctly.

Surveying is an easy game to rip folks off at because they don't know the first thing about it, can't tell whether the job is done right or not done at all, and the world is full of marks who think they can get something for nothing.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoSurveyor View Post
I'm a Surveyor, all licensed and all with the 10 year apprenticeship, graduate degree, all the gear, and I wouldn't touch your property for $650.

I'd make maybe $10 an hour if I charged that. Why bother? It's WAY more involved that any home inspection. So, go for it.

And what are you doing getting "QUOTES" on a professional service? Do you get quotes when you need a Doctor or a Lawyer?

But you are willing to trust a huge investment like a single family property to the low bidder.

Moderator cut: personal attack
You are actually suggesting that one shouldn't get quotes before a service is performed? You sound very bitter.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 AM

What I'm suggesting is that one do the same thing with Surveyors like you do with any other professional, indeed like one does with most tradesman. Do careful research and find one with an excellent reputation for quality work, and pay them their reasonable fees.

Bitter? Why? Because people who know zilch about Surveying come on the internet and attempt to make some point to the effect that a professional fee too low to even begin to perform the service correctly is a rip-off?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Obrero, you should spend as much time researching the surveyors as you did their fees. A $500-$600 survey isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Educate yourself and stop throwing your money away!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,934 times
Obrero is already done with the survey. For all practical purposes on a 0.9 acre property (assuming it is not very narrow in width and long in depth) as long as the structures are not very close to the property boundary the accuracy in survey that the previous posters profess is a matter of not very grave importance. The lender has to make sure that the structures are not in violation of the zoning requirements, and that's all!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:07 PM

204 posts, read 635,286 times
I'm reading some of the definition in searches on google now. What is the purpose of a survey in a home purchase. Specifically a condo or townhome purchase? What kind of information does it provide? Are they crucial to have if the closing process does not require it? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey