Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

The basement of my house was flooded due to the sump pump failure. It took about two weeks to fix the basement. Our tenant wanted compensation for not being able to use the basement in two weeks. Should landlord have an obligation to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I really think that you should have begun your own thread, rather than, "glomming on" to one that is old at this point, but...here are my thoughts on the issue:

Much of the outcome of this situation will depend on the terms of the lease that you and the tenant agreed to.

What is the exact wording in your lease agreement, regarding tenant use of the basement?
What types of facilities in the basement were, "off limits", to your tenant during that two week period?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,591 times
i moved into a new apartment only was there for 3 days and while gone my apartment somehow got flooded they say a water supply line to my guest bathroom toilet busted things that couldnt have possibly gotten wet is ruined because they didnt care for my property and just threw it around, and they wont replace anything am i the one who should replace these things when im not the one at fault for what happened and only after three days?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,537 times
Hi, we have renters in our home in NJ, will all of the rain water in the last few days we found out the renters had a flood in the basement. The rain spouts were moved or removed not sure yet. Waiting for the property manager to acess the damage. Who would be responsible for cleaning up the water and warter damaged property of the tenants?
thank you, Cheryl

Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,411 times
My basement flooded due to the rainstorm. The water begin to come out the walls and a pipe burst. Is it me (the tenant) responsibility to clear the water flood in basement? My landlord told me I must clear the water and drains myself. Or pay $75 for someone else to do it.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

I would expect that the landlord should be clearing out the water. It is their property after all. If the water were to sit long enough to cause damage, they would then be responsible to returning the property back to a livable condition. This would include mold remediation wich is VERY expensive.

As was mentioned earlier in this post, contact the division of consumer affairs or a lawyer who specializes in tenant law.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,176 times
I just had a similar situation occur. My basement flooded, but not because of a hurricane, etc., but because of faulty pipes that they didn't fix. So now my washer and dryer do not work. Are they still not responsible?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,162 times
all the posts are partially right, some wrong. what kind of flood? was there a sumpump? was it working?

in cases where your property got ruined due to the landlord being negligent with repairs, yes he must pay for yyour stuff. if room flooding could have been prevented by his fixing something he neglected...or she.

only way that landlord pays for it.

flooding is deemed an act of God by law. not stopable. a major flood.

understand?

like also roof needs repairs, reported, none made,rain leaked in and ruined my belongings.

he pays

flood of 1993....he doesn't pay.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,932 times
Alright can anyone help me out with some advice? So every time it rains there is at least 10 gallons of water that leaks into my basement depending on how hard it rains. We have confronted our landlord about it he said it was the gutters making water leak into my basement but its not its because of the foundation is cracked. He would be liable for getting that fixed or would I have to do it myself.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadtenant111 View Post
Alright can anyone help me out with some advice? So every time it rains there is at least 10 gallons of water that leaks into my basement depending on how hard it rains. We have confronted our landlord about it he said it was the gutters making water leak into my basement but its not its because of the foundation is cracked. He would be liable for getting that fixed or would I have to do it myself.
Gutter extensions cost peanuts at Home Depot and take a few minutes to install. Do that and if it still leaks he needs to fix basement or you need to move out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey