Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Princeton is cool...always something going on and it is very pretty, with large old trees, black squirrels, and of course the University buildings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 33,263 times
Smile Consider Gloucester County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
This is great info and so helpful! My husband and I may be moving to NJ from Detroit area. He would have to work in Cherry Hill. What town is the best towns in communting distance to there? This is great thanks!
Hi, If your husband will be working in Cherry Hill, consider Gloucester County. Cherry Hill is in Camden County and is really very nice, sometimes just a little conjested. The property taxes are still expensive in Gloucester Co. but IMO not as high as Camden Co. In Camden County I've heard there are two water bills. I live in West Deptford Twp. in Gloucester Co. and its a great community. Very family oriented and very low crime rate. Just something to consider.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 43,407 times
if i could afford saddle river, nj i would move there in a heart beat, the home prices are sky high, but the real estate taxes are so low is digusting, the town must have a great master plan.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 96,217 times
Ah, this is refreshing.

Being from the South, I'd have to say:

Cape May....used to go there for a week every summer. Very nice quaint town.
Medford Lakes
Haddonfield
Tavistock
LBI
Rancocas Woods
Millville (Union Lake)

Up North (above 195)

Princeton
Round Valley
Oak Tree-Metuchen
Little Falls
Delaware Water Gap Area

Want to check out High Point State Park.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktea View Post
Hi, If your husband will be working in Cherry Hill, consider Gloucester County. Cherry Hill is in Camden County and is really very nice, sometimes just a little conjested. The property taxes are still expensive in Gloucester Co. but IMO not as high as Camden Co. In Camden County I've heard there are two water bills. I live in West Deptford Twp. in Gloucester Co. and its a great community. Very family oriented and very low crime rate. Just something to consider.
I just LOVE Gloucester County! I live in SE PA, and it's right across the Commodore Barry Bridge from me. When my brother lived there, we would often meet for lunch or breakfast at the Harrison House (?) Diner in Mullica Hill or this quaint little place whose name escapes me at the moment on Antique Row. I also go there several times per summer for fresh produce for myself and my elderly parents - best peaches, mellons, tomatoes and corn around!

Even though the McMansion developers have reared their ugly heads in GC, there are still a few neighborhoods with open space and nice, winding roads. My favorite township is called East Greenwich and encompasses the areas of Mount Royal, Clarksboro and (my personal fave) Mickleton. Even in today's market, you can get a beautiful ranch home on a half acre or more for under $300K. Yes, the property taxes are on the high side, but before this insane real estate glut, Philly mag did a point-by-point camparison of South Jersey and the Philly burbs - comes out even or better from the Jersey end when one considers that you get more house for the money in SJ.

Here's one of the most user-friendly sites to seach out towns - NOTE TO ADMINISTRATORS! I AM NOT A REALTOR - PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS WEB ADDRESS AS IT IS INTENTIONED FOR THE APPROPRIATE USE OF MEMBER BLOGGERS!!!
www.prufoxroach.com

Old 10-29-2006, 07:13 AM

37 posts, read 144,576 times
Thank you all again for the info regarding Cherry Hill and PA. I have been researching on realtor.com the different areas you all have recommended.
What I would like to know is what's with all the one car garages??????

Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
Thank you all again for the info regarding Cherry Hill and PA. I have been researching on realtor.com the different areas you all have recommended.
What I would like to know is what's with all the one car garages??????
Why? Do you prefer the McMansion look of a house buried behind a 3-car garage, with the only hint that there's even a house there is the single entry door "next to" the garage? lol

Bob

Old 10-30-2006, 06:01 AM

No, of course not. I like to have both my cars in the garage for safety reasons, weather conditions and to use for storage. Why build a one car when you can have two or three? I just wondered if there was some sort of restrictions?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Why stop at two or three? Why not two for the cars, two for storage of all the excess crap we accumulate, and one or two more "just cuz"?

If you need to keep the cars inside for "safety reasons", aren't there bigger issues at hand in the neighborhood than how many garages your house has? Weather? You mean the +/- 3 days a year that you might have to go out and clean the snow off the car?

With the high price of housing in NJ, I think it's great that builders are starting to reduce the size of homes and the number of garages- they look like crap stuck on the front of the house, and most people just fill them with garbage and end up parking in the driveway anyway, so why build them, even if they're supposed "cheap square footage"?

I built homes in Las Vegas with 4 car garages, and most never had more than two cars in them (most families that were buying the houses only had two cars- so you figure out why they needed a 4-car garage). My own house had a 2-car garage, and never parked in it- they make the things too short to park anything bigger than a Mini Cooper in anyway. We've been back in NJ since 99, and our house doesn't have a garage, and somehow, we've survived just fine. Sure, it'd be nice to be able to pull in and unload groceries when it's pouring rain outside, but I think I can count on one hand how many times that's been an issue in almost 7 years. Besides- the 50' walk to the car in the morning is a slight bit of exercise....lol.

Bob

Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Wow. That's a very interesting perspective. But I will take my garage anytime and would not buy a house without one. If I did buy one without one, I would have one built. It doesn’t matter what “neighborhood” you live in. In the best or worst neighborhoods people break into cars and if I can avoid that by keeping my car locked in a garage even better. That’s a fact. I have always parked my cars in the garage. I haven’t ever filled the garage with junk and not been able to use it and been forced to park outside. I also do not need my lawn mower, tools, bikes, garbage, etc in my house or out in the yard. I prefer to store them in a garage. And if I don’t have to scrap ice or snow or walk in the rain with groceries I prefer not to. I also built a house last year and like the way my garage looks and it’s not in the front of the house. It also increase the value of my house.But that’s my opinion.
I was only looking to find out if there was a particular reason why it was so common. Thanks again or your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey