Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 08:42 PM

10 posts, read 10,077 times

Advertisements

Hey folks- I currently live in Allentown, PA with my wife and 3 year old son. We are originally from the Philly area and are considering a move to some of the south jersey suburbs to be closer to my wife's family. The trouble is, I don't know a whole lot about the towns in Camden and Burlington county- So I'd like to explain our budget and what we are looking for and perhaps you guys can give some suggestions.

Budget- with property taxes being what they are in NJ we really cannot go above 250-260k- We are okay with townhomes as long as they are newer and move in ready, but would really prefer a neighborhood home with a yard.

Schools: Are of the utmost importance- I am a high school teacher, and the quality of my son's education is very important. At the same time I understand that an urban school isn't necessarily a bad school and I'm open to some of the more urban areas ( except Camden) in the area.

About us: We are very liberal, and although we don't mind some diversity of opinion we also realize we are living through some pretty divisive times and if possible we would like to stay in a town or city that favors progressive politics. ( please- no debating what that means, or baiting me on political topics) I don't think that would be a problem in Camden county, but how about Burlington county?

We want to live somewhere that's safe, but proximity to the city is very important to us. I would want to be in Philadelphia in no more than 30 minutes.

As a family we enjoy parks and outdoor recreation- and while we know we are sacrificing that by moving so close to the city we would like to know what areas offer a " green vibe" that reasonably close by?

So far from what I can gather Collingwood, Cherry Hill, Cinnaminson, and Marlton all seem to be fairly attractive- although Cherry Hill may be too expensive?

Any recommendations at all based on this information would be most helpful! thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 07:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
With that budget, you are going to be limited to pretty small houses, and most of them will not be so new either. Just keep that in mind. You can add Voorhees to the list as well for whatever few options you may find there. Also look at Haddon Township/Westmont.

While all of these towns lean blue, only Collingswood and Haddon Township would probably be rightfully called “progressive”, at least by South Jersey standards anyway.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:57 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Marlton is nice but too far from the city.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:19 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Marlton is nice but too far from the city.
Marlton is almost right over the Walt Whitman bridge. Not too far from Philly. Good shopping there. Nice area.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
They can get to Center City from parts of Marlton within 30 minutes. Maybe not during rush hour though.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,499 times
Come to my town in Delran. Schools are decent and you’ll be able to find a 3 bed 2 bath home for your budget. Takes me 10 minutes to get to the Betsy Ross or Tacony bridge

Old 12-19-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Marlton is almost right over the Walt Whitman bridge. Not too far from Philly. Good shopping there. Nice area.
I lived there when my husband worked in Pennsauken. His best time was 30 minutes. Forty or so minutes was common. With heavy rain (local flooding) or snow it could easily take an hour. It's absolutely not a 30 minute door to door commute to anywhere in Philly. My timer starts when the car moves and ends when I turn off the engine.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:56 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I lived there when my husband worked in Pennsauken. His best time was 30 minutes. Forty or so minutes was common. With heavy rain (local flooding) or snow it could easily take an hour. It's absolutely not a 30 minute door to door commute to anywhere in Philly. My timer starts when the car moves and ends when I turn off the engine.
Okay. Well, I never lived there but it never took me more than 30 minutes to get there from west Philly but I also wasn’t commuting and went there at off hours.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Commuting time between Marlton and Philadelphia could take up to an hour. It all depend on where you start and end. There are parts of Marlton that may cause delay as well as delayed if you have to go across the city.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:33 PM

We need more information. Where in the city do you have to be at what time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia