Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

I lived in Cherry Hill from 1964-66 till we moved to Mt Laurel. Wombo's had the best sandwiches of all. I wish I could have one now. A friend worked at Gino's at Ellisburg Circle and his mother across the street at Kenny's Suburban House. When we got older we drank at the Garden State Grill at Racetrack Circle and Hafer's on Kresson Rd near the Haddonfield border. Rt 70 had no stoplights and country began after the 295 underpass at Barclay Farms. I remember the Music Fair and another produce stand on Rt 70 across from where Lou and Ann's was. I think it was called Cordivari's. When MacDonald's was built all the hippies hung out there. I went to Cherry Hill West and remember Sarge. There was a movie theater on the wedge of land between Brace and Haddonfield Rds at Ellisburg Circle. Some of the things others mentioned brought back memories I never would have recalled. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,327 times
Default Wfil home of the boss jocks

[url]www.famous56flashback.net[/url]

Dig this folks who grew up in the area.....This was what made radio

Old 01-31-2016, 07:30 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellace222 View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant that was on the corner of Greentree Rd and Rt 70. It's a stone building with a round tower that resembled a castle. It's still there now, but it's a PJ whelihan's. What was it in the 70's & 80's??

Originally built as Seafood Shanty. The left part of it was a Shoe store for a while. Yes, it was an Unos and when PJs took it over they took over the shoe store area and made that another bar and stage

Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Originally built as Seafood Shanty. The left part of it was a Shoe store for a while. Yes, it was an Unos and when PJs took it over they took over the shoe store area and made that another bar and stage

Originally, that land had a small dive-like restaurant called the Point View Inn.
It largely was the place to grab a sandwich and beer if you worked in what was then called the Cherry Hill Industrial Park, you could also get take out beer in containers for those of you that remember.
When the drinking age was lowered to 18 in the early 70's, the bar business flourished.
The owners, seeking to cash in on the DISCO bonanza began building an over the top high end DISCO.
It had it all.
Only problem is they went way over budget, and could not finish the parking lot.
They opened up, rumor has it, without a final inspection, and had such a turnout that it gave them enough to finish the place, and become fully licensed.
It was a two floor place that was the best of the best, rivaling ANYTHING in NYC.
The TRAMMPS were there opening night which was in 1976.
The only thing I cannot remember was the new name of the place.
As disco waned, so did it, and eventually closed.
That is when it was divided into two businesses the shoe store and Boston Sea Party or something, then into UNO's.
Hope that fills in some of the blanks.

Last edited by cherryhill64; 11-10-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,362 times
I too was a senior in '68and was one of the group who got it passed.We never got to ware jeans.Graduated june 69.Must of been the following year that girls could get away with it. Also went to shows at the music fair and ice arena.Shopped for jeans at the experiment also.Moved awayin'73.Could we have been friends.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Haubois View Post
I too was a senior in '68and was one of the group who got it passed.We never got to ware jeans.Graduated june 69.Must of been the following year that girls could get away with it. Also went to shows at the music fair and ice arena.Shopped for jeans at the experiment also.Moved awayin'73.Could we have been friends.
I remember you. We had mutual friends.

I wore jeans a few times, after slacks were allowed the last 6 weeks of school. One teacher wanted to turn me in, but he was afraid of me. I had called him out for some stuff that he thought was clever to say in class. He left it at "nice slacks".

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-18-2017 at 03:51 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 11,699 times
I moved to Cherry Hill in late 1963 and nearby the tower was a large home with a barn in the back. It burned down in the mid 60's. A Penn Fruit was also torn down in late 1963 a stones throw away from the tower--near Chapel pharmacy.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:51 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gilewtz View Post
I moved to Cherry Hill in late 1963 and nearby the tower was a large home with a barn in the back. It burned down in the mid 60's. A Penn Fruit was also torn down in late 1963 a stones throw away from the tower--near Chapel pharmacy.
I met a guy who moved to Marlton in the 1960's. He told me that cows crossing Rt. 70 used to stop what little traffic there was. Rt. 73 was a quiet area with peach and apple orchards. The farm at Greentree Rd. (I think) pressed cider.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I met a guy who moved to Marlton in the 1960's. He told me that cows crossing Rt. 70 used to stop what little traffic there was. Rt. 73 was a quiet area with peach and apple orchards. The farm at Greentree Rd. (I think) pressed cider.
Cherry Hill was full of orchards.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:11 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cherry Hill was full of orchards.
I wish I'd seen those places then. There are a few really old farm houses scattered around the area. They're surrounded by new(er) houses.

The family used to vacation at the shore every summer. Dad took Rt. 206 to the circle at 70, then on to Rt. 72. We never went west. The only exception was when he detoured to Mount Holly one year. He'd read the sign so many times he just had to see the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia