Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM

101 posts, read 119,596 times

Advertisements

My wife and I along with our child are considering moving to Cherry Hill. We are a mixed family(myself Caucasian and my wife African-American) both college graduates in our mid 20s. We like the big city and currently live in Arkansas. With that these are my main questions:

Will I get the most for money by moving to Cherry Hill?

Is the job market inundated or is there oppurtunity?

Am I crazy for thinking about Cherry Hill or should I look elsewhere..lol?

Based upon those questions I certainly will have more questions later but no sense in waisting effort and time if the residents of Atlanta are seeking to go else where.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrfamily View Post
My wife and I along with our child are considering moving to Cherry Hill. We are a mixed family(myself Caucasian and my wife African-American) both college graduates in our mid 20s. We like the big city and currently live in Arkansas. With that these are my main questions:

Will I get the most for money by moving to Cherry Hill?

Is the job market inundated or is there oppurtunity?

Am I crazy for thinking about Cherry Hill or should I look elsewhere..lol?

Based upon those questions I certainly will have more questions later but no sense in waisting effort and time if the residents of Atlanta are seeking to go else where.

Thanks in Advance
Are you thinking of moving prior to securing a job?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
I would move based on where you get a job first. We did not end up buying in Cherry Hill because we could much more house for our money in Waterford/Winslow. BUT we are in a more rural area. Cherry Hill is about a 15-20 min drive.

The schools are coasting on a 10 year old reputation and are not as good as they used to be. Several of my friends are teachers in the CH school district and all say the district is on a downward spiral.

Anyway, get a job first and foremost before deciding where to live. Like every other place in the USA, the job market sucks.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Well I certainly appreciate the info from both of you. However, the day and age of gaining secure employment prior to moving is gone sadly. Most employers will look over your resume with ease if they see an out of state address. As they are unsure of whether you will move or not. With that being said I would be remiss to say that if one has a strong career (engineer, doctor,nursing, etc) then it would be easier to gain employment prior to moving. I certainly would love to gain secure employment prior to moving however I first need to ensure where I am moving is somewhere we will like. At that point I will begin the difficult task of lining up possible interviews.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Cherry Hill is a perfectly fine place to raise a family, so long as you don't mind sprawl--strip malls, big box stores, and tract housing abound. But the schools and amenities are great, and the township is very conveniently located. Taxes are very high, however. It's also pretty far-removed from being a hip, happening place for young people.

Similar communities with less harsh tax burdens include Voorhees, Evesham, and Mount Laurel. If you would rather live somewhere with a charming feel (and are willing to pay the subsequent cost premium) then Haddonfield and Moorestown are worth considering. Haddon Heights, Haddon Township, and Collingswood are very nice as well, but the public schools are not as good.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM

I really appreciate your input and help HeavenWood

Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Cherry hill is a large area and they have 2 distinct high schools. Both are good.. You can find some decent home values in Cherry Hill too. Id look into Collingswood too. There are many companies in the Cherry hill area so finding a job is going to be easier then other areas too

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Well. Since moving is the first step there are tons of places to rent in the area. Rent first, get a nice job and then you have plenty of time to explore and decide if you want to buy a house. Good luck and keep us posted. On a side note, notice no one has really commented on your ethnicity. You'll find that it doesn't matter to people around here.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Well. Since moving is the first step there are tons of places to rent in the area. Rent first, get a nice job and then you have plenty of time to explore and decide if you want to buy a house. Good luck and keep us posted. On a side note, notice no one has really commented on your ethnicity. You'll find that it doesn't matter to people around here.
Race isn't an issue in most Philly suburbs, even the less diverse ones. But there's a very nice racial/religious/socioeconomic mix in Cherry Hill anyway, so you'll hardly feel alone.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Just of curiosity, what sector are you looking for employment in? The Philly metro has a large and diverse economy, but there are definitely some sectors that are stronger then others. If you are both young and college educated, I would be looking to move to an area that gave you the opportunity to be in the field you want to be in, not just a random area with hopes of a random job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia