Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

28 posts, read 119,963 times

Advertisements

cr8lite, thanks for verifying that. Yeah. we most likely will be purchasing Dish Network (or DirecTV) and AT&T DSL. Which tv service provider do you use if you even have cable/satellite tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,546,930 times
I've been a faithful DirecTV customer since 2001 & I have no plans to go anywhere. They treat me right, have always given me excellent customer service & occasionally make me some sweeeeeeet deals

Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Oh, very good! Thanks for that info! I'll look at directv again and see their packages and pricing. Are you always on a contract or after the 2 years are you month-to-month like cell phone plans? Out here in Ohio we don't typically have contracts for cable tv though i think yes there are contracts for satellite tv with dish or directv. but most people out here do not use satellite due to the show/rain/weather issues that cause a lot of interference with satellite tv.

Oh good thing I thought of that, how often do you experience interference or outages with directv?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 PM

nope, no contract with them - there might be for the 1st few years, but i haven't renewed a contract with them in a while so there might be a new policy ?????

as for outages - they are practically non existant. the worst thing you *might* have is the dish move during the winter wind storms, but since you are in mtn falls.....you won't experience the wind quite as much as those of us with acreage

i haven't had any outages that were specifically directv, they have been because the power is out & those don't happen that often either. we've had a few power blips - where the power is out for 30 seconds (happens like once every 6 months?).

Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM

That's good to know. I was wondering about power outages in the area. Our first (and last) home had outages a lot in the first 10 years of living there. It was a pretty new development as well and kind of out in the boonies in our suburb which is a suburb of Columbus. Yeah 30 second outages are not a big deal. Ours sometimes lasted for an hour or two, sometimes longer back when they were prevalent. But I think since Grove City boomed and more and more stores and big chains moved in I think somehow the power regulation improved.

Do you mind me asking which package you use for DirecTV? I'm just curious. I want to make sure we have syfy and hgtv and natgeo as we watch those channels a lot among the more popular/mainstream NBC, ABC, etc Prime Time shows.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM

well....since i've been with them since the beginning of time the package i have no longer exists - i've been grandfathered in you could say. but the closest package to mine is the XTRA package ($70.99/mo). it's the middle of the road package. i'm not interested in all those sports channels, so taking the top end package is just a waste of $$$ for me.

the XTRA package has syfy, hgtv, natgeo & more. i spend a lot of time on those channels plus diy, food network, chiller & history channels.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 AM

We decided on DirecTV for our tv service. We got the Xtra package. We need to call and schedule an install. It may not be till the 11th of September since our PODS container won't be there till the 10th. PODS only delivers to Pahrump from LV twice per month and they charge us extra. Initially the person we spoke with over the phone was adament that they didn't deliver to Pahrump at all but that we'd have to get a truck or something and move all of our things out of the PODS and take it to our home ourselves at their location in LV. We were ticked since they said they deliver anywhere. Then I spoke with someone via their chat service on their website and we got it set up that they could deliver it to our home in Pahrump for an extra fee. And apparently they only give us 4 hours to get all of our things out and to clean out the pods (vacuum, etc) and they will take it or if we aren't done they will come back the next week to pick it up which they will charge us another $370. It's ridiculous. So we just plan to pay that extra fee. So anyone looking to use PODS for their move to Pahrump - find another way! It's ridiculously expensive! Plus they don't have movers help you at all. It's not included in their fees. So we are not happy about this but we already signed the contract a long time ago and have no other way to get our belongings to Pahrump so we have to eat the cost.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
My services provided from CMA cable. In the past hasn't been too bad, I'm not sure what the numbers used to be. I just ran a test on SpeedNet and the numbers were atrocious. Pinging was at 78, the download was a .725 and the upload was at .060. At this point am lucky to get anything at all. Most of the time I'm having to tether from my iPhone to run my iMac or iPad. This is definitely unacceptable, especially when I'm trying to run a business. This is been this way for at least a month now and I'm told will be at least two more months before they get anything up and running at all. I was given some lame excuse that they were trying to "hang a fiber line from AT&T's existing poles" and was in the process of getting their permission to do so. Unless there's been some new technology, the last time I checked fiber lines had to be direct buried the sanded a specific size gravel after being placed in a conduit. It sounds to me like they resist pulling answers out of their ass and have no clue. I guess on the upside or not charging me for the Internet, as it should be and they have promised to pay for any extra data that I happen to run over within my data plan with AT&T.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi acg08 I will be ordering AT&T DSL probably today or tomorrow for install probably on September 3rd or earlier if possible. I don't know if I can go pick up the modem+stuff myself when we get to Pahrump or not. I can install the stuff, it's not hard. I'm sorry to hear you are having major problems with CMA. I didn't sign up with them because their site does not provide any information about their services. I want to deal with a transparent company and they certainly are not. I am glad they have promised to pay your overages on your cell phone bill. I hope they stick with their promise should the need arrise.

I can't order DSL online for some odd reason I'll re-check that ability today, perhaps there was a website problem. If I have to , I will call their 800 number. We are leaving for Pahrump in less than a week, this coming Monday. We still have a lot to get done. Does AT&T have 4G in Pahrump?

Thank you for letting me know your CMA internet issues. I hope it gets fixed very quickly for you.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Ugh yeah, CMA is awful with internet. My laptop (an Apple Macbook Pro from mid 2012) can't reliably stay connected to the router/modem combo. It's pathethic. We have our PODS delivered (today) and had our DirecTV set up today and while that was great (no probs with DirecTV yet) our internet which we got connected I think on the 5th has just been awful. 5Mbps, ugh. For some reason my mac just won't stay connected to the wifi even though the wifi icon still shows connected with full bars for signal strength. I hope that when we return this modem/wifi router combo thing and get a normal plug-in modem and hook it up to my router it wont be an issue. I am currently sitting in my bedroom at a table with my laptop on battery mode, plugged directly into the ethernet to the modem.

I can handle the 5Mbps data speeds, but honestly, the connectivity is awful. My cell phone, moms laptop and her cell phone handle the wifi just fine. I guess Apple computers are finicky...?

But we are still looking for other ISPs and are not finding much. AT&T isn't accepting any more DSL customers at this time, so we lost out on getting DSL from them which is why we had to go with CMA. They offer 200GB data per month for like $33 for the first 6 months (or 3 months?) and then it's I think $47 or something similar per month thereafter. But with this wifi issue I really am trying to find a comparable (but better) ISP for us. *sigh*

acg08 I just re-read your post, yes the CMA guy told me that, too, about the fiber line which would effectively double their throuput for us. He said "in the next few months" that it should be ready and available to us. Ha. Ok I guess that's what they say to everyone as an excuse.

I may call the Air-Internet folks and see what their rates are, etc. They dont list anything on their site and haven't returned my 3 emails (that I sent thru their site). I'll call them up.

Good luck!! I'm with ya...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada