Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM

28 posts, read 119,907 times

Advertisements

Cre8lite - oh wow. That sounds like a simply horrible experience! I do not blame you at all for never going back with them. Wow. I'll call wave direct to see what they offer and IF they offer service at our address. Thank you for giving more info on your experience with hughesnet.

Edit to add: I think it's the Mifi they are offering and that uses the same plan pricing. so for $355 per month I could get 50GB of bandwidth. Yeah, that won't work for us. It's 4g service though which would be excellent but just too way out of our price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt-Dun View Post
Wow. I just found 4g verizon pricing for internet using the jetpack. That is outrageous! $355 for 50GB of data per month. There is no way we could afford that with me being disabled and unable to work, and both of my parents retired. Dang. So it appears we will have to go with AT&T DSL 6Gbit.

I'm currently in a chat with a verizon salesperson. They said "
Steph Y.: I don't think you would need the 50GB. I know someone that uses internet constantly and they don't go over 12GB data."

LOL how funny. She's trying to get me to sign up for it in the hopes we go way over our allotment and then have to pay thousands of dollars per month for overages. Not going to happen. Ugh. Anyway.

Yep DSL it is

LOL just saw your edit. Yeah. Oh well. I guess I'll have to get used to slow internet until somehow major companies come in with good cable internet with higher speeds.

Well, to be fair, you can get the same service using Millenicom, an MVNO (*shhhhh* some of us don't want that to get out what a bargain it is) for $69.99/month for 20 GB and I know several who use more than 20GB so they buy two mifi devices from Millenicom so it's about $140/month for two accounts. Again, Millenicom is very popular for those on the go such as RVers and truckers.

Millenicom has several plans and one of them called the "Hotspot Plan" uses the Verizon Wireless network so you can take advantage of 4G LTE speeds. The other one called the "Unlimited Plan" uses the Sprint network but is limited to 3G speeds in Pahrump. Sprint does not have 4G LTE in Pahrump currently.

Millenicom Plans

I really like it as it is fast (well, 20-22 Mpbs downloads times are "fast" for me as I was used to much slower DSL speeds) and it's portable so you can always have your own wifi no matter where you are. The Verizon 4G LTE network is great in its coverage footprint and I believe is the only 4G LTE service in Pahrump.

But I know it's still pricey in comparison to DSL ...especially if you're in just one location.

Last edited by poopskooper; 07-12-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Ah good to know, thanks! I checked out their site and they do have an unlimited service for $69.99. Usage over 50GB will spark them to investigate the usage. Which I understand. I emailed them to get more info to see if I can use my own mobile hotspot since the one they offer specifically for up to 10 devices tehy only allow 20GB /mo... Hopefully they will allow me to purchase a mobile hotspot and use it with their service for the BYOD unlimited plan. They seem to only "offer" that unlimited plan with the use of a single computer USB device.. So I don't know if they will allow a mobile hotspot to be used for their unlimited plan. We'll see. I really hope they allow it. I'll update this thread with any info they give me.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:07 PM

The Unlimited Plan will use the Sprint network which is only 3G in Pahrump. However, who knows, Sprint is rolling out 4G LTE in many places and their plan is to have 4G LTE in all areas that are covered by 3G by the end of 2015. But you know how that goes ...it will probably be a lot longer.

3G speeds will only be around 2-3 mpbs down. Compare that with 20+ with 4G LTE.

And yes, with the Unlimited Plan, they supply a USB modem but many will plug that into a Franklin router and use it successfully to connect multiple devices.

eta: I meant to say "Cradlepoint" router similer to this one: Cradlepoint CTR350 3G Router

Last edited by poopskooper; 07-12-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Sprint?? ACK! NO. Ok well that isn't good. I know sprint has just awful data speeds. I had Virgin Mobile (sprint) and the data was beyond bad. I have Straight Talk using a phone that uses Verizon and usually I am happy with the speeds I get and my phone is 3G.

I'll see what Millenicom says about it and if somehow we can use Verizon for that plan and buy that single computer usb device and the Franklin router and do that. But if it is Sprint there is no way I will purchase that equipment and the plan. Heck no! Thanks for the heads-up poopskooper.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM

LOL ...yeah, I know how bad Sprint 3G is as I had a data card with them for quite awhile.

Yeah, on the "Unlimited Plan," it will be Sprint and Sprint does not have 4G in Pahrump.

The "Hotspot Plan" will be on the Verizon network and Verizon Wireless will have 4G LTE in Pahrump. I've used it there in Pahrump and it seems just as good as anywhere that they have 4G LTE. You will be required to buy a Novatel mifi router (I have the 4620LE which was the same one Verizon was selling at the time).

As I mentioned before, if you continue to go over 20 GB consistently, they will require you to open a second account which I know several have done. But even at $140/month, it isn't bad compared to what going through Verizon directly would cost (as you found out ).

Good luck and let us know.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM

That's a shame they force sprint for the unlimited plan. We definitely cannot afford $140/mo for internet. Do you know of any other MVNO's who use verizon that might have higher GB limit plans that are in Pahrump? It does seem we will end up using the AT&T DSL.

What is your experience with Comcast? Are they in Pahrump for cable internet? I went to their facebook page and there is nothing but complaints about billing and about service outages daily.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM

I don't believe that Xfinity (Comcast) is available in Pahrump. I always thought that there is also no Comcast in Nevada at all (along with no FiOS). However, there has to be some kind of cable service in Mountain Falls as the original developer, from my recollection, was in the business ...wasn't he?

And true, those I've talked to that have had Comcast/Xfinity in other states, generally have not been happy.

No, I do not know of any other MVNOs who use Verizon that offer strictly strictly data. I've heard of others trying to use their smartphones on Straight Talk as a mifi but that is strictly against Straight Talk's TOS and if caught, you'll lose your service access. Like I've already mentioned, Millenicom is considered the best thing out there in terms of mobile data service and it's my fear that if they get too many subscribers, that at some point, they may not be able to offer the service.

eta: ah! I found what I was looking for: Town will review cable TV proposals from two Collins

This was from 14-years ago and I remember tiny details but did not really pay attention to any follow-ups. Perhaps cre8lite can elucidate as I am not a permanent resident ...I'm in and out of town and have been snowbirding for years.

Last edited by poopskooper; 07-12-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Yeah there is no Comcast in Pahrump. I spoke to Cox over the phone and they were unable to verify if there was service at our address. I'm confused by that since mom swears up and down that they were given a Cox phone number and sheet of paper or pamphlet for service that is available in Mountain Falls... Um... Weird. But she thinks she left it at the house before flying back here to Ohio where we currently live. So that isn't helpful for me to research all of this. So I'm not sure if I should call back tomorrow and ask another Cox rep if there is service or not. I'm totally confused. Mom seems to think that somehow the phone number they gave her for Cox may be different than the one I got online.. So. Yeah. That doesn't make sense but ok.

Yeah I understand that if Millenicom gets too many subscribers then the Verizon network itself would suffer speed slow downs just like what happened to Sprint. That is a definite potential issue with any wireless internet provider.

yeah I know that using your Straight Talk phone service to tether to your computer is against TOS which is unfortunate but yeah I understand where they are coming from when implementing that restriction. I have no problem with that restriction personally. I also do understand that Straight Talk users who stream data of any kind can and usually will be cut off from data services. I do avoid doing that on my phone since I understand the consequences. But many people complain everywhere online for getting shut off when they didn't find the need to read the TOS prior to signing up or even afterwards to make sure they understand the TOS. Too many people (in my opinion) don't pay attention to their TOS for many services and then complain and get pizzy about the consequences. :P

Well I'll call Ezznet and Air-Internet tomorrow or Monday and find out about their costs, terms and bandwidth restrictions.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 PM

2,855 posts, read 4,533,884 times
Cox, Comcast, ClearChoice & CenturyLink do not service Pahrump. Don't even bother looking at them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada