Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2006, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 20,808 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to Tonopah. I am looking for some info on the area. Specifically schools (we have two kids) and medical facilities (one kid has asthma). If anyone can give me info, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 152,644 times
Default Tonopah information

Greetings,

Hi there, I've lived in Vegas for 25 years and have traveled throughout Nevada. There's not much in Tonopah, to be honest. Population is around 1,500. It's a small ex-mining community from the turn of the century and is located at the top of a mountainous plateau.

It's a desolate place with the nearest communities being quite a long drive away through open desert. The town consists of a road dotted with run-down motels and antique buildings from its old mining days.

The closest medical facility is 97 miles away. Your options include:

NORTHERN INYO HOSPITAL (about 97 miles; BISHOP, CA)
MT GRANT GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 107 miles; HAWTHORNE, NV)
MAMOTH HOSPITAL (about 118 miles; MAMMOTH LAKES, CA)

Schooling features one high school (149 students):

TONOPAH HS (Students: 149; Location: 2001 TENNANT DRIVE; Grades: 09 - 12)

...and 2 middle schools:

TONOPAH ELEM (Students: 209; Location: 1220 IDAHO CR; Grades: PK - 08)
SILVER RIM ELEM (Students: 102; Location: 881 SMOKEY VALLEY ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)

All in all, it may be your cup of tea or may not. If you like living in a desolate desert town that's miles away from everything and has no amenities whatsoever, then Tonopah is your place.

Hope this helps, sorry if the news is a bit depressing. Take care and best of luck!

Arentol -

Quote:
My husband may be transferred to Tonopah. I am looking for some info on the area. Specifically schools (we have two kids) and medical facilities (one kid has asthma). If anyone can give me info, I would appreciate it.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 PM

33 posts, read 414,607 times
It's not realy as bad as he's/she's saying there's 2 hotels in Tonopah in Downtown Tonopah there's a few pleasent shops and the mine is still there so if youur the type who likes gold you can still mine but you wouldn't have as much luck as you would in the old mining days Trust me Tonopah's a nice town.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
S70

1 posts, read 8,165 times
Default Current info on Tonopah

-I was in Tonopah yesterday and plan on returning for a longer stay to do some desert crawling and writing.
-I think Arentol hasn't visited Tonopah in a while. The schools are decent but small. This year's graduating high school class is about 21. There are plenty of local activities to make up for the lack of mega-city "amenities"; the folks are friendly and want you to come.
-There are 24 hour medical facilities available.
-The population is about 2,600 down from a high of about 4,500 15 years ago when the US Air Force had a training base nearby. No, I don't mean Area 51. The town is far from being a dump but is a low income area. On the other hand real estate prices are low.
-Tonopah is about mid way between Reno and Las Vegas, some 210 miles or so to either: about a one hour drive on the empty roads... just kidding. Route 6 to the east will take you NE towards Salt Lake City; to the west is the gateway to Yosemite.
-The climate is generally mild; some snow in the winter with plenty of skiing nearby and into the 90's (30C) in the summer BUT watch out for UV due to the altitude and the very low humidity.
-There are tons of family things to do but if you have always lived in a big city the adaptation can be difficult. As far as the kids go, well, they always seem to find something to do.
-May I suggest that you simply google tonopah, nv and see what comes up??

Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S70
-I was in Tonopah yesterday and plan on returning for a longer stay to do some desert crawling and writing.
-I think Arentol hasn't visited Tonopah in a while. The schools are decent but small. This year's graduating high school class is about 21. There are plenty of local activities to make up for the lack of mega-city "amenities"; the folks are friendly and want you to come.
-There are 24 hour medical facilities available.
-The population is about 2,600 down from a high of about 4,500 15 years ago when the US Air Force had a training base nearby. No, I don't mean Area 51. The town is far from being a dump but is a low income area. On the other hand real estate prices are low.
-Tonopah is about mid way between Reno and Las Vegas, some 210 miles or so to either: about a one hour drive on the empty roads... just kidding. Route 6 to the east will take you NE towards Salt Lake City; to the west is the gateway to Yosemite.
-The climate is generally mild; some snow in the winter with plenty of skiing nearby and into the 90's (30C) in the summer BUT watch out for UV due to the altitude and the very low humidity.
-There are tons of family things to do but if you have always lived in a big city the adaptation can be difficult. As far as the kids go, well, they always seem to find something to do.
-May I suggest that you simply google tonopah, nv and see what comes up??

It definately depends on what one is looking for. I have lived in the "big city" most of my life, but I think a change of pace would be nice. I understand there is a hospital in town and a supermarket. Sure it's a small place, but if you are looking for the night life and culture, you want San Francisco or Seattle, or someplace large. If you want wide-open space, a night sky that you can see the stars, and a quiet peaceful life it seems Tonopah is perfect.

I plan in visiting in a couple weeks and I'll post what I find when I return. Las Vegas is within day-trip range (A long day to be sure) and San Francisco & Los Angeles is drivable for a weekend get away. At least that what it appears from the milage and maps. Having never driven them, I could be way off. Maybe someone could comment on that!

Randy

Old 08-06-2006, 06:42 AM

46 posts, read 362,771 times
Default Tonopah & day trip ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralexpdx
[snip]
Las Vegas is within day-trip range (A long day to be sure) and San Francisco & Los Angeles is drivable for a weekend get away. At least that what it appears from the mileage and maps. Having never driven them, I could be way off. Maybe someone could comment on that!
Randy
Randy has it right. . . in a previous job some years ago, I professionally drove a motor coach from Las Vegas to Reno (and Las Vegas to Phoenix, btw) for a competitor to Greyhound (Greyhound let my company run the route with no competition because they didn't think they could make money on it). As the regular substitute driver, I got to travel on US 95 to Reno (and back the next day) quite a bit. Tonopah is indeed a nice town. . . at least that's my impression. Mind you I would only stop for lunch there at the nicest hotel Tonopah has. . . the Station House (located at the top of the hill on the westside of US 95).

Since Tonopah was my lunch stop and halfway point between Las Vegas and Reno, it makes sense to see that a half day trip would be to either of these two cities.

As far as a full day trip, you could go from Tonopah to Las Vegas to Los Angeles and be running against the flow of traffic on a Friday or Saturday. Sunday would be rough (remembering the Southern California influx to LV on Friday/Saturday, returning south on Sunday). On a Sunday or holiday Monday, may I suggest taking US 6 to Bishop and then heading south on US 395, which leads south to CA Route 14. Not much more miles to your trip, and much safer and less stress.

A full day trip to San Francisco is more problematic. One, you've got the Sierra Nevada mountains and Donner Pass to deal with (in winter driving), and two, dealing with Northern California population and traffic growth along the Interstate 80 corridor. Again, you would be running against traffic on Friday/Saturday, but leaving Tonopah on a Sunday would land you into all kinds of traffic from (estimated guess) Auburn westward.

My advice on these kind of trips are to make them at least three days long, because you most likely will need to travel all day to get to LA or SF (or environs). Rest before return would be essential. Happy traveling!

s/AV Native

Last edited by AV Native; 08-06-2006 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,070 times
I moved here 3 yrs ago thanks to my husbands job. This is the ugliest place, hours drive from any shopping, decent medical, dental, or any kind of entertainment other than drinking. That seems to be the main passtime here. The wind never stops blowing and my skin is turning into an old hide. My children have nothing to do and half their friends come from crack homes. They cant hardly pay enough to get good teachers to come here, so they hire what they can get. The gossip in this town is pathetic. The natives think they are sooo much better than everyone else. Expect to be treated like garbage, especially if you try putting a brand new home in one of their crappy neighborhoods. They might have town meetings to stop it because it might lower their property value. Yes they did that! There is no decent housing otherwise. Everything dies here.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
SO wn......do you like it there??????

I personally LOVE Tonopah

Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 39,489 times
I lived in Tonopah years ago when i was in grade school back in the late 70's.
I remember there wasnt a whole lot to do but the community was pretty good about putting on events every know and then. I remeber the city closing off that one street with the big hill in the winter and all the kids sleighing on it.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 AM

402 posts, read 1,528,282 times
Health care is closer in Tonopah than what was listed. Nye County general is in Tonopah, but it's kinda a refuge for docs who got kicked out of other places (not all of them, but I know a couple of them got kicked out of Ely a few years back). A few hours from Vegas, a couple of hours from Bishop (which is a lovely town, not an easy drive in winter, though). Lots of wide open spaces, but quite a bit of history. Lots of ghost towns nearby to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada