Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,339 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I am not real fond of the palmetto bug. I am spending the day sealing up cracks and patching up every hole, no matter how small, in my new condo. I read that a meticulously clean kitchen is also essential (I would like to think I do that one already ) as well as a quarterly extermination (I don't like that one but from what I read it can't be avoided and the HOA does it here anyway). Does anyone have any other tips for keeping a critter-free home?

Also, I have a huge balcony and would love to have some potted plants. Would this be like putting out a welcome sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM

245 posts, read 762,393 times
I have only had one in the two years we have been here and it actually came into the house in a box I brought in that had been in a warehouse.I about passed out it was big enough it could have drove a car! The HOA has the outside and screened in porch sprayed once a month.The inside is sprayed every three months. I keep all food in air tight lock and lock in the pantry.I never leave anything out on the counter.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks, I feel a little more at ease now. I went to Old Time Pottery the other day after reading about it in another thread. My kitchen appears as if I am trying to corner the market of air tight container.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,779,640 times
The first time I saw one I went screaming out of my Father's kitchen!!! LMAO I never realized roaches could frickin' FLY!!!!! OMG Anywho, don't leave any standing water and keep your screen in good repair so they don't sidle in.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM

882 posts, read 3,540,356 times
Keeping the kitchen clean certainly helps, but another thing you can do is spray the perimeter of the unit on a monthly basis... if not the entire perimeter of the unit, around the porch, window sills and entryways will go a LONG way toward keeping the bugs out. I spray my house maybe 2-3 a year IF THAT and rarely have any issues. I will, from time to time, see the errant bug that has strayed from elsewhere, but a quick spray around and they are not to be seen again...

Palmetto bugs aren't what you shoudl worry over.. It's the much smaller German Roaches that you need to worry about. Get them and it's over. They are NASTY and are difficult to get rid of. They seem to be worse in multi family environments where some aren't as clean as others..

Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
The first time I saw one I went screaming out of my Father's kitchen
Ticatica if I see one in the house everyone within 5 miles will know it.

Quote:
Palmetto bugs aren't what you shoudl worry over.. It's the much smaller German Roaches that you need to worry about. Get them and it's over. They are NASTY and are difficult to get rid of. They seem to be worse in multi family environments where some aren't as clean as others..
I agree rrufast and we were trying to avoid a multifamily unit just for that reason, the price and proximity to the beach made us change our mind though. We are in a building with 5 other units and, as far as I know, are the only year round residents. I am not sure if that will make it better or worse.

Thanks everyone for the information and input! (rrufast I tried to rep you but it seems you help me too often ... which is greatly appreciated!)

Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM

245 posts, read 762,393 times
we are in a tri plex and the only year around people....the stuff our company uses must be some bad juju stuff because like I said only one and it hitched a ride from somewhere else.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:08 AM

882 posts, read 3,540,356 times
Neecewh-
I hope you don't run into problems.. Sometimes being the only occupants helps, sometimes it doesn't. Do yourself a favor and get a gallon of the premix stuff that you can buy at Lowes/ Home Depot/Ace Hardware and keep it handy for those odd times you may need to spray a little...

If you ever need a good exterminator, I have one I can recommend. I used him on several of the multi families I managed.... I'm talking entire Associations, not just individual units. My favorite was when owners or their agents would call.. "we have dead bugs in the unit"... My reply.. "Well I guess the pest control is working, huh?"... LOL..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area