Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times

Advertisements

We live in Ohio in a small town thats rural. Small schools. not much traffic..we are considering moving to S.C. around the Conway area. We would like any info about that area.
We do have kids, so hows the schools? class size in elementary & middle schools? is there always traffic there? cost of living? crime rates? weather? is there small country type towns? crowded? we heard things about the south like red ants? & every time it rains your yard floods? Do you feel its a nice place for kids to grow up? we just need any info we can get before deciding to move. Please tell us anything you think we should know. This will be a big change for us, so let us know all your thoughts.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,788,893 times
Here is a search for info. on Conway that might help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=19388990

Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,543 times
Red ants stink. They hurt, leave little bubbles where they bit ya, and they'll bite anything, including your pets lol.

The schools are horrible. Stay up north for good schools.

Crime...even the mayor's get in on this...DUI, etc. Police get arrested for public nudity amongst other things. It's good for a chuckle now and then.

Yards don't ALWAYS flood. Ours rarely does. But after the rain, we get the red ants. LOTS of them.

This area is too touristy, and not a great area to raise kids. I was told this right after I moved here. I didn't believe the women who told me. I was a fool.

Jobs are difficult to find, and the pay is pretty low. You can find seasonal work sometimes, but again, the pay is low.

If you are stuck on SC, look at Greenville perhaps.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,350,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
The schools are horrible. Stay up north for good schools.
Yes, because all schools up here are so much better like the ones in Detroit that saw 95% of the 5 graders who couldn't do 3rd grade math.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 201,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ohio View Post
We live in Ohio in a small town thats rural. Small schools. not much traffic..we are considering moving to S.C. around the Conway area. We would like any info about that area.
We do have kids, so hows the schools? class size in elementary & middle schools? is there always traffic there? cost of living? crime rates? weather? is there small country type towns? crowded? we heard things about the south like red ants? & every time it rains your yard floods? Do you feel its a nice place for kids to grow up? we just need any info we can get before deciding to move. Please tell us anything you think we should know. This will be a big change for us, so let us know all your thoughts.
thanks
4OHIO
I just moved to Surfside Beach, SC , right below Mrytle and about 20 minutes from Conway.
For a perspective, it helps to know what part of Ohio you are from to see if this area serves your needs.
My son works in Conway, I travel to Conway frequently.
You can email me privately and we can discuss. It makes no sense to say yes or no to you unless someone knows what part of Ohio you are coming from: rural Ohio does not equal rural SC. I have been coming back and forth from Ohio to NC and SC for several years and have had to travel within the states for work, so I will be glad to help you if I can.

Last edited by vg66; 03-01-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM

44 posts, read 115,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Yes, because all schools up here are so much better like the ones in Detroit that saw 95% of the 5 graders who couldn't do 3rd grade math.
I must agree - I'm in NH (for now!) and the schools here (in my area at least) are TERRIBLE - the ones in Horry County are much better than they are here. We actually have HS graduates who can't read or do basic math. Very sad.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamamm View Post
I must agree - I'm in NH (for now!) and the schools here (in my area at least) are TERRIBLE - the ones in Horry County are much better than they are here. We actually have HS graduates who can't read or do basic math. Very sad.
We have current high schoolers that can't do basic math. Posted this a week ago when my daughter informed us of this.

"In the "K-12 Achievement Index," a measure of academic performance over time, is based on reading a math scores taken from 2003-07, high school graduation rates between 2000 and 2004, and Advanced Placement exam results between 2000-06. South Carolina tied Oregon for 41st and scored 64.5 points, nearly 5 points below the national average.

In a separate section of the annual report, Quality Counts 2010 looked at state performance nationwide in one core academic area – mathematics. South Carolina's score of 58.9 ranked 44th, compared to the national average of 64.7. Results were based on recent fourth and eighth-grade math scores on National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) testing and on Advanced Placement high school scores.

South Carolina ranked better on the percentage of proficient NAEP scores and the percentage of high AP test scores, and on narrowing the achievement gap in eighth-grade NAEP math. But NAEP and AP score improvements over time were lower than national averages. "

Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM

245 posts, read 762,393 times
Interesting ...I have a Kindergartner that can read and can also write full paragraphs.Last week he was doing math that involved triple digits.I have been very pleased with the schools here (I am a former educator). I find the thing about schools is you get out of it what you put into it...some kids are not going to do well regardless of where they are...it depends a lot on the involvement at home .... I am from rural Ky and I think our move has been positive.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
Interesting ...I have a Kindergartner that can read and can also write full paragraphs.Last week he was doing math that involved triple digits.I have been very pleased with the schools here (I am a former educator). I find the thing about schools is you get out of it what you put into it...some kids are not going to do well regardless of where they are...it depends a lot on the involvement at home .... I am from rural Ky and I think our move has been positive.

I totally agree!! But you have to understand that when my own children are frustrated at what they see around them, to me, that speaks volumes. The fact that your child is SO far advanced, speaks volumes about YOU, definitely NOT the schools. You're the one to be commended, not the school. My nephews are extremely advanced, which I give my sister full credit for. At my encouragement, she had them tested, and one is being advanced into harder classes (he's now doing his older brother's work). She is in MD and her school district is considered one of the best in the area, and even she finds it frustrating because we grew up in one of the top 10 (at the time) in the country.

Perhaps our standards are high, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't want more for our children, want more for the future of this country. Why settle when we KNOW the educational system can do more? Your child is in kindergarten, is extremely advanced for his age.

My eldest was the same way. However, because he wasn't being challenged in class, he got bored. We moved down here when he was in HS. They seemed very very organized, and I was super impressed. One day, out of frustration, he smacked the side of a bus with a TWIG...no joke...and they kicked him out of school for a few months and put him in that special school in Conway. Forgot the name of it. But anyway, he wound up getting homeschooled/tutored and did wonderfully. High A's. Something he couldn't possibly get in St. James. They just didn't have what he needed...the difficult work. He actually graduated before the rest of his class was finished that year because he found it so incredibly easy.

One thing I have said, and I will continue to say, Horry County has a superb special education system, far better than we experienced up North. I think because we didn't have the same budget line for them up in NY like they must down here, I don't know, in all honesty. The teachers were superb. However, somewhere along the line, for some, teaching has ceased to be their passion.

My senior tells me her teachers talk on their cell phones. Her classmates can't do basic math. My 9th grader says the same. One of his teachers last year told me she used to be a social studies teacher for many years and was told she had to teach another class last year because that's where they needed her, and she didn't like it. It was evident, too. She was horrible at it.

I wish I knew the answer. How to revive the teachers into wanting to teach. In having our students do better. Maybe if more parents were like YOU, like my sister, and like I did, who actually taught their kids prior to them going to school, they would have a fighting chance. However, if you just read some of the postings on Craigslist, with all of the mispellings, blatant errors that make you wonder what planet these people grew up on, perhaps this is where the problem is. The PARENTS aren't educated. How can they possibly educate their own children?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM

93,710 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
I totally agree!! But you have to understand that when my own children are frustrated at what they see around them, to me, that speaks volumes. The fact that your child is SO far advanced, speaks volumes about YOU, definitely NOT the schools. You're the one to be commended, not the school. My nephews are extremely advanced, which I give my sister full credit for. At my encouragement, she had them tested, and one is being advanced into harder classes (he's now doing his older brother's work). She is in MD and her school district is considered one of the best in the area, and even she finds it frustrating because we grew up in one of the top 10 (at the time) in the country.

Perhaps our standards are high, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't want more for our children, want more for the future of this country. Why settle when we KNOW the educational system can do more? Your child is in kindergarten, is extremely advanced for his age.

My eldest was the same way. However, because he wasn't being challenged in class, he got bored. We moved down here when he was in HS. They seemed very very organized, and I was super impressed. One day, out of frustration, he smacked the side of a bus with a TWIG...no joke...and they kicked him out of school for a few months and put him in that special school in Conway. Forgot the name of it. But anyway, he wound up getting homeschooled/tutored and did wonderfully. High A's. Something he couldn't possibly get in St. James. They just didn't have what he needed...the difficult work. He actually graduated before the rest of his class was finished that year because he found it so incredibly easy.

One thing I have said, and I will continue to say, Horry County has a superb special education system, far better than we experienced up North. I think because we didn't have the same budget line for them up in NY like they must down here, I don't know, in all honesty. The teachers were superb. However, somewhere along the line, for some, teaching has ceased to be their passion.

My senior tells me her teachers talk on their cell phones. Her classmates can't do basic math. My 9th grader says the same. One of his teachers last year told me she used to be a social studies teacher for many years and was told she had to teach another class last year because that's where they needed her, and she didn't like it. It was evident, too. She was horrible at it.

I wish I knew the answer. How to revive the teachers into wanting to teach. In having our students do better. Maybe if more parents were like YOU, like my sister, and like I did, who actually taught their kids prior to them going to school, they would have a fighting chance. However, if you just read some of the postings on Craigslist, with all of the mispellings, blatant errors that make you wonder what planet these people grew up on, perhaps this is where the problem is. The PARENTS aren't educated. How can they possibly educate their own children?
Interesting, as many of the school districts in my part of NY have some very good special education programs and we have some pretty good school districts in general as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area