Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM

370 posts, read 948,392 times

Advertisements

We almost decided to move to MB beach several years ago, but ended up relocating to the Charleston area. I think Charleston is a better area all the way around. Much more scenic, less tourists, and more job possibilities. I also like the beaches here a little better. MB is only 2 hours away so we can visit there whenever we want. The more I go there, the more I am glad we are able to back home to Charleston. Not sure if that would be an option for you, but that would be my recommendation. If you hate winters as much as me, I think you will love living in SC. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,239,973 times
I've never lived in the Myrtle Beach area so I really don't have a place to comment on this thread. But I will anyway.

I actually just returned from vacationing in MB last night. As always, I had a great time. Love the beach, breeze, hotel resort we stayed at, and all the options for activities. We came here last year and basically did the same things. Went to the beach, Broadway at the Beach, and the Carolina Opry. This year we went mini golfing. Thats always fun. I'm hoping to come back down again to play real golf and spend some extra time at the beach. One of the reasons why we have such a great time is because we have family down here. All originally from New Jersey.

My aunt and uncle moved down here about 15 years ago and simply love it. They think its the best place in the world. My uncle works at a golf course and my aunt works at the Carolina Opry. They're very happy and virtually never come to New Jersey anymore (despire having family here). Sadly, the last time they came was when my grandmother died in 2004. So they love it so much that they don't have the desire to travel outside of the area much. Both are around the age of 60. My cousins who grew up in New Jersey still live in SC.

I have another uncle who is 60 and retired down here from New Jersey about 6 years ago. He woke up at 3:30 in the morning for about 30 years for work, so he's loving the warm weather and fun lifestyle. His son and daughter-in-law married and moved down to MB at the same time. Although they like it, my cousin misses New Jersey (weather and family). Plus its very hard to find a job. From what I've heard, it is difficult to find a good job and the schools aren't great. But generally MB isn't a terrible place to live, based on their experiences. Nobody seems totally depressed about being there. In fact, they're quite happy.

I think it would probably be better to work and live farther north and to retire to MB if one desires. As a tourist, I love the place and will continue to come back. I obviously can't say how I would like living there. But I don't think it is the ideal place to build a life.

Quote:
Oh yeah, forget about making left turns on main roads during summer months. The good side is, as a local, you'll soon learn some backroads to help you survive.
What a pain that was. Will they ever put up an arrow light?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,193 times
Default Forgot to mention politics...

Quote:
wanted to know what others who've already moved think about living in Myrtle Beach...
Oops, forgot to mention SC politics. You're not one of them "wacky liberals", are ya'? SC is among the reddest of the red, and not likely to change in this century. Home to Jim "Waterloo" DeMint, Henry "What's in it for Me" Brown, and Mark "Family Values" Sanford, who prefers his stimulus package with a Latin flavor. If you happen to occasionally harbor a progressive thought, you may find life in SC to be frustrating. Of course, the letters to the editors page of the local newspaper is always good for a few laughs....

Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,349,564 times
To respond to a few of your comments. Charleston, more specifically Goose Creek, is actually an option. I can transfer there fairly easy and the area looks great. And indeed we are conservative, so SC works better for us politically than MI ever will. Thanks to all and I believe I repped you all. Wait, that's repped ya'll

Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,060 times
Not sure where you're moving from, but I came from 1 1/2 hrs north of NYC, and my boyfriend from outside of Philly.

Lemme tell you this much...there's no jobs like everyone said, there's VERY little to do outside of golf and eat out. I've been here 4.5 yrs, he's been here 2 yrs. Neither of us is very happy here. We LOVE Charleston but despise the Myrtle Beach area, where we are. When I say it's boring, that's an understatement. Once you've done the tourist bit, it gets tedious. My parents, on the other hand, love it. They go out almost every day doing something or other.

There's only a few "types" of people here...vacationers, college kids, retired people, and families with people looking for jobs that don't exist. 4 more years...and then we move. Kids out of high school!! woohoo

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 16,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I'd like to get an idea of what those who've moved to the MB area think about their decision. It doesn't matter how long ago it was or where you came from (though It'd be interesting to hear). Are you happy, content, dissapointed or ready to try somewhere else or head back to where you came from?

I may be in a position to relocated there and wanted to know what others who've already moved think about living in Myrtle Beach.
I love it here, no snow, milder winters, lush green for most of the year. Wouldn't trade it, heat is a big adjustment for those 2-3 summer months but it beats 7 months of gloom and freezing temperatures anyday. Miss my family and friends but living at the beach they do come to visit quite often. Taxes are close to 1/12 of what we paid previously for more land and more home.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 AM

698 posts, read 3,268,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I'd like to get an idea of what those who've moved to the MB area think about their decision. It doesn't matter how long ago it was or where you came from (though It'd be interesting to hear). Are you happy, content, dissapointed or ready to try somewhere else or head back to where you came from?

I may be in a position to relocated there and wanted to know what others who've already moved think about living in Myrtle Beach.
We don't live in the Myrtle Beach area,but visit and shop there quite frequently. We are in Wilmington,N.C. about 80 miles from there and enjoy day trips there for dining and shopping. We even bought our cars down there as we like the dealer and service better there than here. We always enjoy being there and feel "right at home" while there. We lived in the Orlando,Fl. area for fifteen years and call Myrtle Beach our "Mini Orlando. We have considered moving there ourselves,but can't because of job situation,so we just go visit as often as possible. I think you would enjoy living there. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,193 times
Quote:
When I say it's boring, that's an understatement...
LOL!! Now, THERE'S a local! I've tried to quit calling MB boring, because of all the strange looks I get, but pburgess' description is dead-on. If you're not a golf fanatic or a big-time boater, it can be a challenge to find "normal", non-touristy recreational opportunities. Eating out can also be a challenge for locals. Finding good value for a simple meal is a real challenge. In order to compete for tourist $$, restaurants must be either a "dining experience" or all-you-can-eat "stuff 'em & move 'em out" emporiums. MB is not a bad place to live, but it's very different than being here on vacation.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,239,973 times
I think it depends on one's lifestyle. I complain about the boringness of my town all the time, yet I would probably live a similar lifestyle if I moved to a new town or city. If I lived in Myrtle Beach, I would probably spend countless hours on the computer or simply laying around the house like I do now. (That is unless my family down there dragged me out )

I think the difference between a fun life and a bland one is where your friends and family are. Sorry to be rambling on.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I think it depends on one's lifestyle. I complain about the boringness of my town all the time, yet I would probably live a similar lifestyle if I moved to a new town or city. If I lived in Myrtle Beach, I would probably spend countless hours on the computer or simply laying around the house like I do now. (That is unless my family down there dragged me out )

I think the difference between a fun life and a bland one is where your friends and family are. Sorry to be rambling on.
My family IS here, that's the thing!! My parents love it here...but they have a ton of friends. The last place I lived down here was filled with the older crowd. The place we live now is filled with college kids. I can't find a happy medium!!

Myrtle Beach is boring if you're in your 30s-40s, there really is no 2 ways about it. If you're retired, that's a different story. Like I said, we drive to Charleston very often where we find it is way more family friendly and far less touristy. There ARE good local restaurants that tourists *thankfully* don't know about.

I guess I'm spoiled. I grew up 1 1/2 hrs north of NYC, 1 1/2 hrs south of Albany. Best of both worlds, I suppose. There are VERY VERY little cultural things to do like museums and such, but on the bright side, Washington DC is only 5-6 hrs away.

More people are moving from the north and opening up restaurants, so that's a plus, but unfortunately they still have to deal with the lower quality ingredients that are down here, especially the produce and herbs, so finding a great Italian restaurant (so far) is far and few inbetween.

For the best Italian bread, pastries, heroes, etc., head to the old Air Force base, now known as Market Commons. Go to Toffino's. I promise you, you won't be sorry. Either that, or take up baking like I did. I used to cook for a living and now I'm into baking...2 different worlds. But out of necessity, you do the darndest things!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area