Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,788 times

Advertisements

I beleive our taxes will be about $1500 or less. We just closed on our house at the end of March and we only owed $500 for the year.

In NJ we were paying about $4800 per year which is cheap for NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
My taxes were $11,000 a year on LI for County, City & School tax! Yikes, that's almost a grand a month in taxes alone!

Taxes here were $1560 for the past year includes everything. The county collects the taxes from everone and then doles it out. Homeowner Association fees vary greatly depending on the area & the amenities in the community. Ours is $250 a year but there is no pool or anything special being offered.

Be aware that there is a personal property tax in the entire state (although the amount varies by county) on cars, boats, RV's etc. Check out some of the Vehicle Tax threads here for a more in depth explaination. The newer & more luxurious the car the more it is... but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM

14 posts, read 53,264 times
That is crazy for taxes on LI. Wow! It sounds like your taxes in Myrtle Beach are better than they are here. We had a personal property tax in VA. The taxes are way worse here in PA than they were in VA, though. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
My taxes were $11,000 a year on LI for County, City & School tax! Yikes, that's almost a grand a month in taxes alone!

Taxes here were $1560 for the past year includes everything. The county collects the taxes from everone and then doles it out. Homeowner Association fees vary greatly depending on the area & the amenities in the community. Ours is $250 a year but there is no pool or anything special being offered.

Be aware that there is a personal property tax in the entire state (although the amount varies by county) on cars, boats, RV's etc. Check out some of the Vehicle Tax threads here for a more in depth explaination. The newer & more luxurious the car the more it is... but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,763 times
We've been going to Myrtle Beach for 9 years. We too are looking to relocate to the area. From what we've been looking at, we prefer Surfside, Pawley's Island, Georgetown, Calabash, NC, Conway and North Myrtle Beach. We aren't interested in living in a HOA. One word of advice, Carolina Forest area is becoming very congested over time. They do have good schools, but are facing over crowding-yet they are smart and adding schools.

We are moving down that way at some point since all my family is originally from NC-yet we are close enough to visit(I am the only damned Yankee in the family. )

Surfside is nice, but like someone said it's very touristy in the summer. We know-the campground we go to is there. Some of our friends have moved to Conway-or it's outskirts. They've bought acreage there. It's going to depend on what your looking for in terms of a home-there are so many different choices there to look at.

In terms of what we saw when looking into homes-new and existing-the taxes and utilities are lower than anything we've got here in upstate NY. My taxes on a 2100sqft home with .29 acre is now running $4500. Gas and electric were $810 last month. We are so getting hosed.

Good luck with your search, there are very nice places to live there and great people too boot! Suggest that you might want to rent in a area for a year to see if that's where you want to set down roots-that way if you aren't happy with it, you can try something else on til you find a good fit.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
Wow, $810 for gas & electric?? Man, I though LIPA/Keyspan were thieves!! I know it was a brutally cold month up there but that is still alot. I was averaging $450 a month on Long Island for a 2300 sqft open layout house. For a much larger house here I average about $125 (Santee Cooper) for electric (no gas). That is a huge savings combined with auto insurance, taxes and schools.... a no brainer for me.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,788 times
Honestly the traffic isn't bad for me in Carolina Forest. I lived in Bergen County NJ and we had lots of traffic, driving to work or a store on the highway. Maybe because it is normal to me it doesn't seem bad.

Right now my son has about the same amount of kids in his class as NJ, but there are 6 lst. grade classes where in NJ we only had 2.

Best of luck in your choice -

Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 AM

Thanks for your input. We are hoping to travel down there next month to look around and get a better feel for different areas. We are vacationing there in August, but we really hope to have moved there by then. It is so cold here in PA right now and I am so tired of it. We are supposed to get a little bit of snow this weekend.

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
We've been going to Myrtle Beach for 9 years. We too are looking to relocate to the area. From what we've been looking at, we prefer Surfside, Pawley's Island, Georgetown, Calabash, NC, Conway and North Myrtle Beach. We aren't interested in living in a HOA. One word of advice, Carolina Forest area is becoming very congested over time. They do have good schools, but are facing over crowding-yet they are smart and adding schools.

We are moving down that way at some point since all my family is originally from NC-yet we are close enough to visit(I am the only damned Yankee in the family. )

Surfside is nice, but like someone said it's very touristy in the summer. We know-the campground we go to is there. Some of our friends have moved to Conway-or it's outskirts. They've bought acreage there. It's going to depend on what your looking for in terms of a home-there are so many different choices there to look at.

In terms of what we saw when looking into homes-new and existing-the taxes and utilities are lower than anything we've got here in upstate NY. My taxes on a 2100sqft home with .29 acre is now running $4500. Gas and electric were $810 last month. We are so getting hosed.

Good luck with your search, there are very nice places to live there and great people too boot! Suggest that you might want to rent in a area for a year to see if that's where you want to set down roots-that way if you aren't happy with it, you can try something else on til you find a good fit.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Wow, $810 for gas & electric?? Man, I though LIPA/Keyspan were thieves!! I know it was a brutally cold month up there but that is still alot. I was averaging $450 a month on Long Island for a 2300 sqft open layout house. For a much larger house here I average about $125 (Santee Cooper) for electric (no gas). That is a huge savings combined with auto insurance, taxes and schools.... a no brainer for me.
Yeah, but we are only 90 miles north of LI! We have a pellet stove to boot to cut down on the heat. We know from experience of being in Myrtle Beach-3 weeks a year that everything is much cheaper than our area. But after we sell up here, the house we end up with will be totally paid for down there. As long as we can find jobs that keep up with the necessities that'll make it easier than here.

We'd looked at a few homes in Carolina Forest and Silver Fox Landing and for what the HOA's had set up for garbage, tv it's a huge bargain that up here.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeber View Post
Thanks for your input. We are hoping to travel down there next month to look around and get a better feel for different areas. We are vacationing there in August, but we really hope to have moved there by then. It is so cold here in PA right now and I am so tired of it. We are supposed to get a little bit of snow this weekend.

Jen
I know what you mean by cold-at the soccer fields today we froze and we have that nor'easter coming in tomorrow. I am done with winter-I wish the weather would get warm already.

Spend the time to really look, ask people in the areas you are looking about pro's and con's. Myrtlebeachonline.com is the newspaper for there and it's a wealth of information. There's links for just about anything you might want to know or to see homes that are listed prior to your arrival.

Good luck-wish we were heading out of here soon. But my 83 year old Mother had a stroke last week and now we'll be here for some time.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I hope we don't get snow out of it tomorrow, but who knows? It takes so long for it to get warm here.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is doing better soon. Thanks for your help.

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I know what you mean by cold-at the soccer fields today we froze and we have that nor'easter coming in tomorrow. I am done with winter-I wish the weather would get warm already.

Spend the time to really look, ask people in the areas you are looking about pro's and con's. Myrtlebeachonline.com is the newspaper for there and it's a wealth of information. There's links for just about anything you might want to know or to see homes that are listed prior to your arrival.

Good luck-wish we were heading out of here soon. But my 83 year old Mother had a stroke last week and now we'll be here for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area