Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a website or link that allows someone to compare the two areas? I'm wondering specially about NC vs SC with regard to taxes (real estate, sales, income) and health care (it's getting more and more difficult for folks on Medicare to find a primary care physician).

We've been thinking of Myrtle Beach/N Myrtle Beach but someone recently mentioned Southport NC as a beautiful place to live.

We are currently living on Cape Cod but the MA political picture isn't looks too good these days (increases in sales tax, gas tax, tolls, anything that can possibly be taxed is being considered)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
As with anything that involves the gov't, it ain't that simple. We've lived for extended periods in both NC and SC. Our NC taxes were significantly lower, but that's comparing rural NC to coastal SC. Apples and oranges...

At least in SC, real estate property taxes vary significantly among counties. In addition, SC has recently implemented a "point of sale" property tax system. If you buy a home for $300,000, the old owner may have been paying taxes based on an appraised value of ~$200,000. Your appraised value will immediately be set to the sales price. (just an example).

SC sales tax also varies between counties, or even between cities within counties, and depends upon what items you're buying. A good example is an article in today's MB Newspaper (http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/912983.html - broken link). If you can figure it out, please explain it to me.

If you're looking to live near the coast, don't overlook the impact of homeowner's insurance. It can be significant. In both states, insurers are reluctant to issue new policies. States are beginning to offer coverage for homeowners who cannot get private policies, but rates are exorbitant. Investigate that situation closely before buying.

A couple links that may (or may not) be helpful. Most folks get a headache just trying to work thru them.
Retiree Taxes by State
SC Tax Guide

BTW, I share your friend's opinion of Southport - it's a beautiful small town, and one of the very few on the Carolina coast that has not yet been overrun, overbuilt, and overpaved. Much of coastal SC's beauty has been destroyed by rampant, unregulated development, with MB being at the epicenter of this destruction. We're heading up next month to look at some NC properties, but probably just wishful thinkin' with a touch of wanderlust thrown in.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:28 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such an extended answer to my fairly vague question. I'll check out the links, but the more we look into Myrtle Beach area the less we think it's for us. We're now thinking more of the NMB area or southern NC coastal. Again, thank you. If you think of it, when you head to NC, please post your findings. We'll be in Surfside Beach for 4 months this winter and plan on really really looking over the various areas we might want to consider.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
Surfside is good and don't forget Garden City Beach, right next door! For some reason I think the realtor who sold us our place last year said the taxes in GCB were better than Surfside because SSB is incorporated and GCB is not incorporated. You may want to ask someone to confirm that point, though. Good luck! Isn't it exciting just shopping around for your vacation/retirement place?? The anticipation and planning is MORE than half of the fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area