Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 25,985 times

Advertisements

(I have also posted this on the Charleston area forum)

My husband and I are literally in the beginning stages of researching South Carolina and are hoping that you can provide some direction! We just had our first baby and with a newborn at home my time to conduct online research is severely limited!

Our situation:
We are in our early 30’s, live in the northeast and recently had our first child. We have a second home in a NJ beach town and have decided that what makes us happiest is fine weather, sun and sand. We have decided that we would like to raise our family in a warm climate providing tons of opportunity for outdoor activities year round.

What we are looking for:
Our number one priority is finding a location that has good schools (public is preferable, but we are willing to pay for private if necessary). Secondly, we would like to be no more than a 20 minute or so drive to the beach. If possible, we would like to live in a town that has a “main street” for shopping, restaurants and casual walks. The ability to walk to Main Street from our home would definitely be a plus, but is not a necessity.

We want to purchase a 4 bedroom single home and have a purchasing range of $400,000 - $600,000. Our range is so wide because we have 2 homes and if we had to buy in the higher range we would sell both. If we find more reasonable housing, we can keep our city apartment to rent out.

Please let me know any towns that would be worth me researching further. With a newborn, my time to research is limited so any help you can be is much appreciated! Once we scale down the areas we like most, we are planning a trip to visit those areas.

Thank you so much for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 123,849 times
Hey,
We are also a young family looking to move to the area, so I feel your pain. We have three small children and feel the same way you do about being at the beach. We just came back from a trip there and there are a lot of small areas around that you will like. We've been vacationing there for years, so we know the area well, but only in a touristy sort of way. So far, we are looking into Carolina Forest and Little River. We have a boat and it's important to us to be near the ICW so we can dock it there. From what I've seen, it seems that you should not have any trouble finding a wonderful home in that price range. The best thing for you to do, I think, it call the chamber of commerce and have them send you packets. Then, you'll have hard copies for between feedings and while the baby is napping. Your visit to the area will tell you a lot too. Good luck and keep me posted... we're also looking to be as educated as we can when we move. Feel free to DM me also if I can help, even though I'm not a local.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM

267 posts, read 1,020,462 times
Another area you might want to consider would be Mt. Pleasant in the Charleston area. I have heard there is good schooling there, it is a short drive to the water and close to all the ameneties of Charleston. Charleston is much more historic than Myrtle Beach and has a greater diversity of employment opportunities with less of a "tourist" feel.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,324 times
I am moving to Myrtle Beach before the year is out. I have visited once and done a huge amount of online research. We are moving there because the cost of housing is so low (my husband was forced into an early retirement and we are now on a fixed income). You will have no problem finding housing in your price range. My budget is only about a 1/4 of yours and I have found many suitable places. As for schools there are many good areas as well, check out Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community it will give you the ratings for the local schools. Good Luck on you journey

Old 03-25-2009, 03:01 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
There are very few places around MB that will give you the "main street" appeal that you mentioned. Within MB and NMB, your choices are pretty much residential or resort, with most of the commercial districts being somewhere in between the two of 'em. A few exceptions:

Georgetown, SC - Offers a very nice small town feel, blending residential within a few blocks of Front Street, which offers a RiverWalk, nice shops and excellent restaurants. IMO, the schools are not ideal and good beaches are about 20-30 minutes.

Conway, SC - A very similar small town feel, but further from the beach. I'm not familiar with their schools.

Market Commons is a new mixed commercial/residential development on the old AFB in MB with a very upscale main street. I'm not sure it's a place I would pick to raise a family, but opinions differ.

I second the earlier recommendation for Mt Pleasant, although I don't think it offers the "main street" feel either. Regardless, the bars and restaurants on Shem Creek more than make up for any shortcomings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area