Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 PM

30 posts, read 124,003 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a Realtor and my husband co-owns a tree service and landscaping business and we really want to relocate to the beach about this time next year. He has experience in a machine shop and I also used to be a teacher. Are any or all of these skills marketable at the beach? I have an English degree and some writing experience as well. I'm aware that real estate is slow but I'm not looking for a full time 9 to 5 either. I can't move my kids that far AND dump them in daycare... they are 4, 3 and 10 months.

Any and all help and advice are welcome. Also, recommendations on schools, areas and the like would be great. We are currently looking at the Little River area, but I seem to be reading over and over that it is more family friendly at the Southern end of the area. We are not currently looking at Carolina Forest because we feel it might be too congested for our taste. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,799,511 times
School Information: http://www3.hcs.k12.sc.us/

I would imagine all ofthose skills would be useful here when the economy get's better. I really don't know how easy or hard it is to get a teaching job here. There are probably sites teachers go to for jobs? The link above gives info. about the schools and you can also probably use the same link to contact schools about jobs. Real Estate is very slow and everyone is competing with foreclosures and short sales. On the other hand it might be busier here then some other places because it is a retirement, investment, golf and vacation area. I started in real estate here over two years ago and like any business, it's hard when you first get started, especially when you don't know anyone for referrals. There are agents making money that do cold calling and go after fsbo's and expireds but you have to be willing to do all that. I would imagine your husbands experience would work well down here but with the economy the way it is, might be tough. I'm sure a lot of those guys that were doing the same around here are struggling if not out of business. Machine shop, I don't have a clue but maybe you can search Google for machine shops around here if someone else doesn't offer info. that can help. Hopefully there will be somewhat of a turn around in a year when you are looking to move and you can do some research about the job market then. As far as Carolina Forest, the schools have a good reputation and if you are from the NE then it probably won't be that congested for you. Its whatever you're used to, so unless you like in a very rural area it's not bad IMO.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,714,979 times
My only take on the Carolina Forest is that 501 I avoid like the plague.
It was just packed full this weekend for the car show. It was the same for the marathon race and that was during the winter. Forget the summer........
I just wouldn't personally want to get on that highway to head to the beach.
Jobs are hard to come by in all states right about now. Here the most openings we hear of are in the tourist trade. Right now Hard Rock Park is hiring......
Socastee is a good area for schools and is a nice place to live. There is various routes to different beaches.
Yes, find your jobs ahead of time.......that is the most important thing to do.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. We really want to do this, but we can't make the move at the expense of the kids, education or money- wise. We've got a year to figure it all out. It seems like I am seeing over and over that the place to be for the schools is either Carolina Forest of somewhere south- why not Little River area? Is there something going on up there that is not being said? It seemed nice when we visited... but that is why we're here! Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM

24 posts, read 58,893 times
I have landscape and lawn service.... and this year... so does everyone else who owns a lawn mower.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM

11 posts, read 26,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
School Information: http://www3.hcs.k12.sc.us/
Do you have another link? I can't get this one to work. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Hey DCuts, thanks for the info. I figured that might be the case, but they don't really do mowing part of things here. They have a bucket truck, stump grinder, chipper... the big stuff. My dad is a certified arborist and they do a lot of stuff between houses and near wires. It's the stuff that is a little harder. The landscape design is something they also do and enjoy, but they don't mow or do a whole lot of routine maintenance types of things. Is there a market for this type of business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area