Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2022, 01:27 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,435,317 times

Advertisements

Im not a fan of flooded streets,during hurricanes/storms. How far inland do I have to go to avoid this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 03:03 PM

33 posts, read 32,995 times
If you want to avoid flooding from hurricanes or storms, you'd have to go significantly inland; the Conway area had a lot of flooding during Florence, Matthew, as well as other unnamed storms. Each area is different, and it truly depends on the local topography of your immediate area. Loris and Aynor did not have too much flooding, although they are much smaller than their other counterparts in the county. At one point during Florence, the only crossings in Horry County was US 501 in Conway, which was narrowed down to one lane in each direction, and the sides of the roadway were sandbagged by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotty2249 View Post
If you want to avoid flooding from hurricanes or storms, you'd have to go significantly inland; the Conway area had a lot of flooding during Florence, Matthew, as well as other unnamed storms. Each area is different, and it truly depends on the local topography of your immediate area. Loris and Aynor did not have too much flooding, although they are much smaller than their other counterparts in the county. At one point during Florence, the only crossings in Horry County was US 501 in Conway, which was narrowed down to one lane in each direction, and the sides of the roadway were sandbagged by the Army Corps of Engineers.
Thing is I'd be moving from Pennsylvania so I'm not sure how well I'd blend in those small towns,I know MB is pretty much a mix. Plus I've heard Florence has quite a bit of crime.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:43 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,873 times
You don't really have to go very far away from the beach area and still be able to avoid flooded streets. Just pay close attention to the flood maps. We live 4 miles from the beach and have never had a problem with water.

And, yes, Florence has a significant crime problem. However, dotty2249 was referring to Hurricane Florence...not the city of Florence. ;-)

Old 11-18-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Florence has a significant crime problem. However, dotty2249 was referring to Hurricane Florence...not the city of Florence. ;-)
I was referring to the town...I know that it's one of the larger more 'inland' towns.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:19 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotty2249 View Post
I'm in North Myrtle Beach just on the west side of the intracoastal and my area does not flood.
You don't have to go that far inland; you just need to learn what areas flood and stay away from them.
I live in Zone C

Last edited by TMSRetired; 11-21-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-21-2022, 11:28 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,542,122 times
This might help:
https://www.scemd.org/stay-informed/...rricane-guide/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area