Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2006, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 22,135 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late 20s and do not have kids yet. We would like to move from NJ to the Myrtle Beach area over the summer. We have family in North MB. We've looked at Carolina Forest and were impressed but of course want more info before we move. We are looking for a nice affordable community (we will prob have a house built or buy a house in a development - we are not looking for a trailer ). We would like to be near enough to a main area for jobs etc. We don't want to be in a ghost town...we'd love to be near activity, etc. Sort of like a college town feel. Any info would help - thanks!

Last edited by MrsTC; 05-13-2006 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,715 times
I will be staying in Conway at the end of the month to check it out for that reason.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
I have to make a couple of points about Myrtle Beach. Of course it has its good points, but those are immediately apparent. The negatives aren't so obvious. This is all just my opinion, of course -

1. I wouldn't want to raise a child in Myrtle Beach. Lots of crime, plenty of drugs, strip clubs, etc. Ever seen "World's Wildest Police Chases"? Several of them take place on Highway 17 in MB.

2. The economy of MB is very much based on tourism. Hotel, restaurants, and golf. Not much else in the way of jobs. Lots of retired rich folks and waiter/waitress types living hand-to-mouth.

3. The MB population is very transient. Enormous amounts of people flood the grand strand (Pawleys Island to NC/SC border) every summer, looking for a good time. It attracts all types, but TONS of rednecks, Biker Week, Black Biker Week, etc. In the winter it looks kind of like a ghost town.

4. If you're looking for a "college town" type, MB is by no stretch of the imagination a college town. You may find a "community" in one of the gated enclaves, but you'll definitely pay for it financially.

I'd look at the Charleston area, Columbia, or maybe Beaufort.

Charleston is easily my favorite city. It's touristy like MB, but it has class (unlike MB). Lots of things to do, unbelievable restaurants, great nightlife, rich history. Most people don't live on the peninsula, they live on James Island or Mount Pleasant. Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's Island are all good beaches in the area. As Charlestonians say, "Charleston is where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers meet to form the Atlantic Ocean."

Columbia is a small city, about the size of Charleston. Not quite "college town", but it has a large university. It's not near the water, but it has some great homes for reasonable prices. Much cheaper than Charleston or Myrtle Beach. I currently live in Columbia.

I can't tell you much about Beaufort, but it's worth you checking out. A fast growing area, on the coast, smaller than Columbia or Charleston.

As far as Conway goes, it's like my hometown of Sumter. Poor, redneck town with not much to do. It has it's pro's: Great hunting & fishing, good access to swampland, good proximity to agriculture, super-cheap housing.

That's just my two cents. I hope this is informative.
Good luck!
-Matt

Old 05-21-2006, 08:30 AM

291 posts, read 1,781,715 times
Thanks Matt for the info. I love Charleston as well but it's so expensive.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
Over the last couple months I have taken a few trips to MB and Conway area to look at houses and I'm also looking to move to that area from NJ. I would highly recommend to anyone in the NJ/NY area if you want to move to SC it is VERY different and you should take several trips there to check t out first. As with any state there is pros and cons but you should know what your getting yourself into and SEE it for yourself. On my last trip I flew into Charleston and checked out that area, drove around several towns and than drove to MB & Conway. I agree with most of what Matt said and the Charleston area is really nice but definatly more expensive than Conway and some parts of MB. You can find a three bedroom house in MB easily in the 200,00 price range and Conway also. I looked at a house near hwy 78 in Conway that had 1 1/2 acres, great neighborhood (not so redneck) three bedrooms 2 1/2 baths and in perfect move in condition $230,000 and the taxes were less than $700 for the year, I couldn't stop laughing the same house in NJ would be about $500,000 and taxes around $8,000/10,000 a year.

Here is my (opinion) of Conway beautiful, growing, inexpensive, religious (church on every block) trailers scattered about (no zoning) close to the airport and beach, friendly people. MB depends on where you go, nicest area is N. Myrtle Beach.

By the way if you're from NJ/NY you know good food....restaurants there are just ok but I guess it's a good place to loose weight. : )

Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,979 times
We are also from NJ looking to move down to Carolina Forest, my husband is there now. From what he has said the Carolina Forest area is about 15 minutes away from the beach area. He said lots of housing developments and they are building lots of stores. He took video so I will see when he gets home.

The development we are looking at is "The Farm" we have a son, so if we move there he will be going to the new school they built over there.

It worries me when I read these horrible reports about Myrtle Beach with crime and other things. So far my husband likes Carolina Forest - here in NJ we could be 2 towns over from crime.

The house we are looking at there is about $230,000 we could sell our house here and buy the house and have no mortgage, my house in NJ is not big, a 1950 Cape Cod - the house in SC brand new!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
charleston is expensive but beaufort or port royal are cheaper and a mayberry type of town i plan on retiring there

Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 22,105 times
Forestbrook is a quiet division.. the homes on this LONG road range from mobile home parks, to very nice homes, starting around the 100s.. very reasonable and you're 5-10 minutes from the beach!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,198 times
This thread is four plus years old..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area