Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 7,587 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we are looking in SC in March for homes to retire to.
Someone recommended the Meridian development in Market Commons, single family homes.

Anyone familiar with that area? I had heard we should keep away from Myrtle Beach area, but not sure if this development is in the thick of things. We are also looking in Murrells Inlet and Little River.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 03:28 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
I, personally, would not recommend Meridian because of its proximity to the highway Bypass 17 which is the main north/south highway for getting around the congested part of MB and its proximity to the airport (next door). When they started to build that development, I asked my wife..."who would want to live there with all that highway noise?" Obviously, there are a lot of people who don't mind the noise because it's growing like gangbusters.

You are right to avoid most of MB, but Market Common, in general, is nothing like the rest of MB. It's pretty far away from the downtown section and the bulk of the tourists and problems. It's a very nice work/live/play planned section with the idea that you can do everything without having to drive very far (if at all). The whole Market Common area is growing like crazy as many people find the concept very desirable. However, prices for living there are somewhat more expensive than living in other areas.

We live in Murrells Inlet. Depending on what you're looking for as far as lifestyle and conveniences, it is worth taking a look.

We looked at Little River when we first moved here and decided that it was too far away from many of the activities and conveniences that we like. It's pretty far away from the airport and the only viable mall and many of the interesting things that one can do in the MB area. It has a limited number of restaurants and shopping opportunities. We find Murrells Inlet much more to our liking but, as they say, "different strokes for different folks."

Are you looking for strictly new homes or willing to consider something older? What are you looking for in a community and what's your budget? That helps those on this forum to provide better advice.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I have to agree with CTYankee about the Meridian location. In addition to the noise I have a friend who bought over there and has not been happy with the quality of post move in support from the builders with regard to repairs.

I have lived in Market Common for 6 years and love it. I can walk, bike or golf cart to a variety of stores, restaurants and entertainment. It is getting more expensive that many other areas along the Grand Strand. Your best bargains will be in previously owned homes. I would be cautious about Belle Harbor, they already have overcrowded amenities and continue to build.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 8,623 times
Default Other options

One thing with Meridian is its a DR Horton development. Lower tier of tract home builders. We bought our place in Belle Mer, Beazer Homes is said to be better, but there's a host of quality issues as well. If you build you just need to be on top of your warranty. I'd be wary of any home 2 years and under as a resale, you don't know if it's profit taking or if it's a lemon.

Check the Fema flood maps. Check HOA docs if you can get them.

One nice thing about a new development is everyone around you is likely new too. That makes it easy to meet new folks. I asked a friend who moved into the established Legends neighborhood and inquired about new neighborhood friendships in 2 years time. She said zero, and she's a vivacious extrovert.

Lot sizes also make a difference. Meridian has tiny lots, .15 acre on average. I am 2 miles to the beach and sitting on a half acre. Plenty of room for dogs, and my driveway is almost 80 ft long. Many places you can just barely fit two cars in your driveway. Also, look for a 3rd car garage or minimum storage above your garage.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-20-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I, personally, would not recommend Meridian because of its proximity to the highway Bypass 17 which is the main north/south highway for getting around the congested part of MB and its proximity to the airport (next door). When they started to build that development, I asked my wife..."who would want to live there with all that highway noise?" Obviously, there are a lot of people who don't mind the noise because it's growing like gangbusters.

You are right to avoid most of MB, but Market Common, in general, is nothing like the rest of MB. It's pretty far away from the downtown section and the bulk of the tourists and problems. It's a very nice work/live/play planned section with the idea that you can do everything without having to drive very far (if at all). The whole Market Common area is growing like crazy as many people find the concept very desirable. However, prices for living there are somewhat more expensive than living in other areas.

We live in Murrells Inlet. Depending on what you're looking for as far as lifestyle and conveniences, it is worth taking a look.

We looked at Little River when we first moved here and decided that it was too far away from many of the activities and conveniences that we like. It's pretty far away from the airport and the only viable mall and many of the interesting things that one can do in the MB area. It has a limited number of restaurants and shopping opportunities. We find Murrells Inlet much more to our liking but, as they say, "different strokes for different folks."

Are you looking for strictly new homes or willing to consider something older? What are you looking for in a community and what's your budget? That helps those on this forum to provide better advice.
Thanks for the info. We started with wants Murrells Inlet and had heard about Little River too. I do want to be close to the airport and interesting things. I would def consider resale homes. Our budget was about $350 but now we see prices going up and thinking $375. Want a home, no townhouses or condos.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I have to agree with CTYankee about the Meridian location. In addition to the noise I have a friend who bought over there and has not been happy with the quality of post move in support from the builders with regard to repairs.

I have lived in Market Common for 6 years and love it. I can walk, bike or golf cart to a variety of stores, restaurants and entertainment. It is getting more expensive that many other areas along the Grand Strand. Your best bargains will be in previously owned homes. I would be cautious about Belle Harbor, they already have overcrowded amenities and continue to build.
Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought Market Commons was condos, but will do some more research and check the area out.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:41 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
The Market Common area consists of over 10 major developments "between the 17s". There is a wide variety of home types available. Most are single family, but there are also condos/townhomes, live/work and apartments. The single family homes run from about 1500 sq. ft. to 3000 sq. ft. The resale market is really tight here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area