Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 12:09 PM

333 posts, read 215,061 times

Advertisements

So since I-73 was voted down again, are the city plans for redeveloping downtown gone? I don't know if the two were tied to each other but if not, when is construction supposed to begin to change the road infrastructure to the traditional setup they planned? This is something that is important in expanding Myrtle Beach into a real city with a central business district, but I-73 is vital to more companies coming to the area. An interstate to the beach could create thousands of jobs and that one aspect is holding the area back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 02:44 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
City plans for redevelopment are independent of the I-73 funding so, as far as I know, MB plans are still in place although it will be many years before any of this happens (if ever). We've been here 12 years and seen many "plans" come and go over that time only to be replaced with another version which never come to fruition.

I'm in the minority, but I believe that the Southern Evacuation Lifeline is more important than I-73 at this point. I would relieve a lot of traffic on 501 that's headed toward Surfside/Murrells Inlet, etc and provide a better way to evacuate the south end. Highway funding would be better spent on this highway than I-73. But, as I said, that's just one person's opinion.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
City plans for redevelopment are independent of the I-73 funding so, as far as I know, MB plans are still in place although it will be many years before any of this happens (if ever). We've been here 12 years and seen many "plans" come and go over that time only to be replaced with another version which never come to fruition.

I'm in the minority, but I believe that the Southern Evacuation Lifeline is more important than I-73 at this point. I would relieve a lot of traffic on 501 that's headed toward Surfside/Murrells Inlet, etc and provide a better way to evacuate the south end. Highway funding would be better spent on this highway than I-73. But, as I said, that's just one person's opinion.
Yes, that route will help the local communities but I still think I-73 should be the major priority. Myrtle Beach strives in the summer but for a lot of people the winter is depressing because of the lack of jobs. Think of all of the major corporations that the Grand Strand are missing out on because of the infrastructure. The population is increasing because of retirees but what about those still working that move to the area? If you are coming from out of town you have to take back roads to get down here instead moving from one interstate to the other like most major cities. Having that interstate would open up all of the opportunities that the city is missing out on instead of just relying solely on tourism to support this growing population. The area was ranked as the number one growing city in the country in the past few years. It's still strong at number 5 now so the area needs that infrastructure in place to attract potential company headquarters in the future which means hundreds of not thousands of new jobs.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:46 AM

6,429 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Yes, that route will help the local communities but I still think I-73 should be the major priority. Myrtle Beach strives in the summer but for a lot of people the winter is depressing because of the lack of jobs. Think of all of the major corporations that the Grand Strand are missing out on because of the infrastructure. The population is increasing because of retirees but what about those still working that move to the area? If you are coming from out of town you have to take back roads to get down here instead moving from one interstate to the other like most major cities. Having that interstate would open up all of the opportunities that the city is missing out on instead of just relying solely on tourism to support this growing population. The area was ranked as the number one growing city in the country in the past few years. It's still strong at number 5 now so the area needs that infrastructure in place to attract potential company headquarters in the future which means hundreds of not thousands of new jobs.
I used to go to MB on a somewhat regular basis, for about a 20 year period, beginning in 1980, when a friend of mine purchased a condo unit in NMB, and rented it to family and friends. Back then, my impressions of MB were that is was a slow moving, very relaxing, vacation destination. And my feelings remained for quite a while, but then changed, over time, and I haven't had the desire to return. The last time I was there, was 2001.

Why? While I understand the comments made by the poster, above, that I quoted, when they said that MB needs something to sustain itself during the months of October through March, I feel that it's relaxing atmosphere during the rest of the year, is what was it's attraction. Over the time that I had been going there, I felt the transition from "homey vacation spot", to "something for everyone". To me, it lost it's charm, therefore I wasn't willing to make the 14 hour drive....

Old 11-12-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I used to go to MB on a somewhat regular basis, for about a 20 year period, beginning in 1980, when a friend of mine purchased a condo unit in NMB, and rented it to family and friends. Back then, my impressions of MB were that is was a slow moving, very relaxing, vacation destination. And my feelings remained for quite a while, but then changed, over time, and I haven't had the desire to return. The last time I was there, was 2001.

Why? While I understand the comments made by the poster, above, that I quoted, when they said that MB needs something to sustain itself during the months of October through March, I feel that it's relaxing atmosphere during the rest of the year, is what was it's attraction. Over the time that I had been going there, I felt the transition from "homey vacation spot", to "something for everyone". To me, it lost it's charm, therefore I wasn't willing to make the 14 hour drive....
I can understand that coming from a vacationer from out of town. I would suggest Hilton Head Island for that kind of environment now. It is a lazy beach town that is sort of hidden in the low country. For Myrtle Beach now, it is nationally recognized and is still garnering more attention. I can remember going to a bar in Texas and showing my ID and the bartender saw where I was from and commented that he hoped to retire there. This was about ten years ago. Since then, we've had movies and tv shows filmed in the area so it's popularity has grown. If you grow up in the area and have aspirations for a lucrative career then the area probably will not cut it for you as it is now. Most jobs are centered around tourism and hospitality. The population will continue to grow as it is still in the top 3 fastest growing cities. With that being said, locals deserve a chance to grow up there and have a career there but are forced to go to cities such as Greenville, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. to further their careers even though their heart is still at the beach. I-73 could unlock all of the Grand Strand's potential in my opinion.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:40 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
I dont thin I-73 is dead.. I believe the Governor has committed to allocate funding to it if the state can get $$ from the feds as part of the Infrastructure Bill/ Rescue Act.. I agree it will be a huge boost for Myrtle Beach but also places like Marion and Dillon Counties...

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...255843691.html

I would love for Myrtle Beach to have a true downtown.. I think it would add character and some distinction from other similar sized beach cities...

Old 11-19-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I dont thin I-73 is dead.. I believe the Governor has committed to allocate funding to it if the state can get $$ from the feds as part of the Infrastructure Bill/ Rescue Act.. I agree it will be a huge boost for Myrtle Beach but also places like Marion and Dillon Counties...

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...255843691.html

I would love for Myrtle Beach to have a true downtown.. I think it would add character and some distinction from other similar sized beach cities...
Good article. They were saying that the local roads need to be fixed before I-73 should be constructed Those roads have needed to be repaired for decades so if that's the thinking then they I-73 would never come to fruition. From a business standpoint, having an Interstate come to a growing metro could bring in more companies that would in turn create more tax dollars, which would help with those roads. Also, the surplus of money coming from the Infrastructure bill is still there. Those opposing I-73 are running out of excuses at this point.

To your point, yes that interstate would help all of the surrounding communities as well. Myrtle beach needs this shot in the arm and could one day start competing over business contracts with the larger cities.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Good article. They were saying that the local roads need to be fixed before I-73 should be constructed Those roads have needed to be repaired for decades so if that's the thinking then they I-73 would never come to fruition. From a business standpoint, having an Interstate come to a growing metro could bring in more companies that would in turn create more tax dollars, which would help with those roads. Also, the surplus of money coming from the Infrastructure bill is still there. Those opposing I-73 are running out of excuses at this point.

To your point, yes that interstate would help all of the surrounding communities as well. Myrtle beach needs this shot in the arm and could one day start competing over business contracts with the larger cities.
If I were a developer and I-73 were to be built.. You could buy a couple hundred of acres in Marion County and build a retirement community. I can imagine may people living in outside Cleveland, Detroit and some of those other cities selling and moving down. You could find a house cheaper the in MYR but would be a short interstate drive away from it...Retirees are not worried about schools etc that may be a detractor for a place like Marion.. Just interested in low taxes, low cost of living and access to the beach. Marion could be like how Jasper County is to Beaufort/Hilton Head

Old 11-19-2021, 04:13 PM

6,429 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Just out of curiosity, what would be the path of this I-73?

Old 11-20-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would be the path of this I-73?
I dont know if it has been firmly decided but this provides some general information

https://uspirg.org/feature/usp/inter...south-carolina

http://www.i73.com/map/default.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area