Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:04 AM

6,478 posts, read 3,170,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I dont know if it has been firmly decided but this provides some general information

https://uspirg.org/feature/usp/inter...south-carolina

Map - National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty serious road project. I was initially thinking that it was just a "local", to SC, project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 08:48 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty serious road project. I was initially thinking that it was just a "local", to SC, project.
Very true.. I havent researched how much has been completed along the entire length.. but I know a lot has been done in NC. I would have loved for it to dip further south towards my college home... Florence. But, it should still be a boost to the parts of the Pee Dee that need it the most not to mention Myrtle Beach

Old 11-23-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Very true.. I havent researched how much has been completed along the entire length.. but I know a lot has been done in NC. I would have loved for it to dip further south towards my college home... Florence. But, it should still be a boost to the parts of the Pee Dee that need it the most not to mention Myrtle Beach
My trips from western NY to Myrtle Beach relied on US Route 15, to travel through Pennsylvania, and route 15 goes through the northern extremes of the Alleghany mountains. Consequently, Route 15, for a long time, was a narrow, hilly, 2 lane road, carved out of the sides of the mountains, and was a real "adventure" to travel on.

I remember reporting back to my friend, who owned the condo in MB that I rented, that while I very much liked his condo, and enjoyed spending time in MB, the travel through PA put a slight bit of a damper on the vacation. He replied, "Don't worry, in another 5-6 years, 15 will be 4 lanes all the way through PA". He made that comment in 1980, and even today, 40 years later, while the situation has GREATLY improved, Route 15 still isn't 4 lanes "all the way through PA".

If this Route 73 project is so critical to the growth/survival of SC, I hope, for your sake, that it progresses quicker than the Route 15 re-construction did.....

Old 11-26-2021, 08:08 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My trips from western NY to Myrtle Beach relied on US Route 15, to travel through Pennsylvania, and route 15 goes through the northern extremes of the Alleghany mountains. Consequently, Route 15, for a long time, was a narrow, hilly, 2 lane road, carved out of the sides of the mountains, and was a real "adventure" to travel on.

I remember reporting back to my friend, who owned the condo in MB that I rented, that while I very much liked his condo, and enjoyed spending time in MB, the travel through PA put a slight bit of a damper on the vacation. He replied, "Don't worry, in another 5-6 years, 15 will be 4 lanes all the way through PA". He made that comment in 1980, and even today, 40 years later, while the situation has GREATLY improved, Route 15 still isn't 4 lanes "all the way through PA".

If this Route 73 project is so critical to the growth/survival of SC, I hope, for your sake, that it progresses quicker than the Route 15 re-construction did.....
I think Myrtle Beach is such a draw that the growth has and will continue to come to the Myrtle Beach area.. The problem is congestion and traffic in some of the surrounding areas as some of the roads may not be able to handle the volume. Having the highway will ease that access and (potentially) reduce the travel time and that may cause the growth in Horry County and Myrtle Beach to slowly spread up said highway into some of these other areas of what we call the Pee Dee which have been historically rural, agricultural and poorer Counties even by SC standards...It too has been decades in the planning with $$ being the main hold up.. Like US 15 as you have described.....SC Hwy 38 and US Hwy 501 have been improved to four lanes to handle traffic coming from I-95 but there are way too many driveways, local roads, towns, stores/roadside retail and what not that intersect with it and it really needs to be limited access. Seems like the governor has cleared the way for that to happen (with I-73) so I suspect the clock is counting down towards construction as opposed to the more delays.. Atleast I hope... LOL

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-26-2021 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-26-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I think Myrtle Beach is such a draw that the growth has and will continue to come to the Myrtle Beach area.. The problem is congestion and traffic in some of the surrounding areas as some of the roads may not be able to handle the volume. Having the highway will ease that access and (potentially) reduce the travel time and that may cause the growth in Horry County and Myrtle Beach to slowly spread up said highway into some of these other areas of what we call the Pee Dee which have been historically rural, agricultural and poorer Counties even by SC standards...It too has been decades in the planning with $$ being the main hold up.. Like US 15 as you have described.....SC Hwy 38 and US Hwy 501 have been improved to four lanes to handle traffic coming from I-95 but there are way too many driveways, local roads, towns, stores/roadside retail and what not that intersect with it and it really needs to be limited access. Seems like the governor has cleared the way for that to happen (with I-73) so I suspect the clock is counting down towards construction as opposed to the more delays.. Atleast I hope... LOL
I know what you mean, about the rural roads. Even though the Interstate highways allow you to travel (legally) at 65-70MPH, they're generally a longer route. I'm one of those people who look for the shortest route that's practical, and go from there, because sometimes, it turns out to be quicker......and even if it's not all that much quicker, it's more scenic.

Having said that, I initially came south on I-95, exiting it in the Smithfield, NC area, on to State Route 701 south. I then followed 701 to Clinton, NC, and picked up State Route 421, following that, to Wilmington, where I would pick up State Route 17, and then on to MB.

In later years, after I-40 was constructed, I changed the route slightly, as I'd exit I-95, again at the Smithfield exit, but only follow 701 as far as Newton Grove, NC. There, I'd pick up I-40, and follow that to Wilmington, then on to 17, into MB. That was a shorter deal for me, because I was staying in North Myrtle beach, and was actually a pretty good route, after 17 was widened to 4 lanes.

(as I think back, over 40 years, I think the very first time I made the trip, I think that I followed 701 further south, and it intersected with route 9, which I followed right to Ocean Drive..........)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area