Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 08:36 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

I was recently reminded on another forum that Maryland Fried Chicken still exists in SC, with locations in Myrtle Beach and Conway. I had almost forgotten about them, but I remember back in the day they were very good. And a recent review also seems to indicate so. Can anyone share any recent experiences with Maryland Fried Chicken? Ironically they may no longer exist in the state of Maryland, but they also still have locations in Georgia and Florida, where they apparently originated. Nice to hear of an old school chain still surviving and hanging in there, just like Roy Rogers in Virginia and Maryland. Next time I visit the beach I will make a point to visit Maryland Fried Chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 10:22 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
There was a place beside Waterway Furniture in North MB on old 17 that had a Maryland Fried Chicken sign. Not sure if they are still open or maybe switched to another cuisine? I remember there used to be the Golden Skillet in Elizabethtown NC that sold it. It is kinda sweet, right?

Old 05-26-2021, 12:29 PM

246 posts, read 431,572 times
We have 3 locations in the Pee Dee that I am aware of also, though I have not eaten there in years.

Florence
Hartsville
Lake City

May have to give it a try soon though, from what I remember it was pretty good.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:25 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
We have 3 locations in the Pee Dee that I am aware of also, though I have not eaten there in years.

Florence
Hartsville
Lake City

May have to give it a try soon though, from what I remember it was pretty good.
I remember the one in Florence.. ate there a few times... I never ate the "Maryland Chicken" and am unsure on how that even tastes as I was raised on southern fried chicken a la South Carolina.. I guess they raise a lot of chickens in Maryland (and Delaware).. The eastern shore of MD resembles the Pee Dee and the areas outside of the beach especially outside of ... Ocean City MD which is ironically the state's beach town like MB is for SC. ..

In Maryland and the DC Area.. there are quite a few restaurants called NY Fried Chicken.. another oxymoron;;Pizza I get.. but Fried Chicken?...... I guess the business model is move to a state and declare that your chicken is from another state and people will literally... flock.... to it..

Old 05-26-2021, 08:52 PM

They also still have Roy Rogers in Maryland and Northern Virginia which is known for good fried chicken, along with roast beef sandwich and hamburgers. A few scattered Bojangles up there and plenty of Popeyes. And Royal Farms has good fried chicken for a convenience store in that region. But I don't think there are any Maryland Fried Chicken locations actually remaining in the state of Maryland. Ironically Maryland Fried Chicken apparently originated in Orlando Florida as it was founded by a Maryland transplant.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:53 PM

I also hear Parker's convenience store has very good southern fried chicken in the Low Country region around Charleston and down to Savannah, Georgia. And here in the Upstate Spinx fried chicken is also pretty good for a convenience store.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 PM

244 posts, read 200,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I was recently reminded on another forum that Maryland Fried Chicken still exists in SC, with locations in Myrtle Beach and Conway. I had almost forgotten about them, but I remember back in the day they were very good. And a recent review also seems to indicate so. Can anyone share any recent experiences with Maryland Fried Chicken? Ironically they may no longer exist in the state of Maryland, but they also still have locations in Georgia and Florida, where they apparently originated. Nice to hear of an old school chain still surviving and hanging in there, just like Roy Rogers in Virginia and Maryland. Next time I visit the beach I will make a point to visit Maryland Fried Chicken.

I have gotten Maryland Fried Chicken several times in Little River and Conway. I don't think they're in Little River anymore. Never had any from the Kings Highway store in MB, though I've probably driven by there a hundred times, and that is no exaggeration. There is just "something" about MFC that they get "just right". Hard to describe. It seems to have a paprika streak to it.

Incidentally, it is not the same thing as "Chicken Maryland", an old heritage dish that is served with cream gravy. Two totally different things.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:50 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
They also still have Roy Rogers in Maryland and Northern Virginia which is known for good fried chicken, along with roast beef sandwich and hamburgers. A few scattered Bojangles up there and plenty of Popeyes. And Royal Farms has good fried chicken for a convenience store in that region. But I don't think there are any Maryland Fried Chicken locations actually remaining in the state of Maryland. Ironically Maryland Fried Chicken apparently originated in Orlando Florida as it was founded by a Maryland transplant.
Man...Marylanders LOVE Royal Farms Chicken along with a chain called Hip Hop Chicken (from NYC).. I have had it and it is pretty good though....LOL

Old 05-28-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Man...Marylanders LOVE Royal Farms Chicken along with a chain called Hip Hop Chicken (from NYC).. I have had it and it is pretty good though....LOL
Now that things are opening up again I want to visit Virginia and Maryland and stop by Royal Farms and Roy Rogers.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
they're building Royal Farms all over Md and De. Their chicken is good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area