Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 5,283 times

Advertisements

Right around the time you posted this, my wife was down in MB finding the home we bought. Her sister lives a mile away in another development, so we had been checking areas for the past 5 years when visiting. She found a place that is 28 years old & had everything recently updated/upgraded except the garage door opener. A few people said I was nuts not seeing the house myself, but I trusted her judgement to find the house she's happy with & trusted the home inspector to do a righteous job inspecting.

We were motivated by the escalating housing market prices in MA, along with my best friend dropping dead in Jan 2021. I figured making the move while still being young enough to find a decent job to last for 10 years was the right move. Of course it's the first time I quit a job without having a new job, so our adult kids have been ruthlessly busting my chops about not following my own advice hahahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 07:42 AM

161 posts, read 237,733 times
Default Buy before moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyway View Post
Here's my question, we are looking to move to the area, husband is involved in a small business in the MB/Grand Strand area and wants to be there full time. He is semi-retired. Has anyone bought a home there first and then made the move? I know it may be best to rent first but with the market as hot as it is, it could be a challenge purchasing a home as we have heard of several folks who's leases are up and have been unable to get an offer in before it has been sold. So I'm interested if anyone has done this without renting first. What was your experience and are you happy with your decision. We will be visiting over the course of the next 6 months to get a better feel for the area. Because of the virus I have not been there for well over a year, although hubby has been many times.
I hope to hear your experiences, good and bad or indifferent. Thanks
We visited many times and when approaching retirement had our home built in Murrells Inlet. Closed on home in June 2014 and moved in permanently in July 2015 and have never regretted a moment.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 7,590 times
Default Suggested areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivaDog View Post
We visited the area for a week, driving all over. I had never been here before, and it had been decades since my husband visited as a kid. We talked to a real estate agent and the people in the church we would attend, asking their opinions about the different areas. We consistently heard, "Steer clear of the 501." We went back home and reviewed the houses for sale over the next year, and read City Data posts about the different areas. When we came down the second time, we visited the area we thought we would like, and bought a new build. Now 9 months later we're very happy with our area decision. But we knew we wanted a quiet area close to the beach, so that's what we looked for. I think if you ask yourself what is important to you in an area, it will help you narrow in on the right place for you.
Hi, we are about to come down to start looking (retirees). You mentioned "quiet area close to the beach", would you be willing to suggest some areas/developments? It is mind boggling to sift thru this data online. THanks!!

Old 01-30-2022, 05:25 PM

214 posts, read 260,841 times
What’s your price range ?

Old 03-28-2022, 05:41 AM

17 posts, read 16,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
What’s your price range ?
Between the time you asked this question and the time she responds, she made need to add another 100K to the budget....

Old 03-28-2022, 06:41 AM

214 posts, read 260,841 times
Agreed !

Old 04-03-2022, 01:10 PM

9 posts, read 7,590 times
Just an update....we spent a month this past March looking around....we had also had a very proactive realtor who would look into areas and houses for us before we even arrived to help us narrow down what we were looking for.

We lucked out and the day we got there, someone was selling and took our offer since we were willing to wait a few months to move as she needed more time. We decided on Little River. We still looked around at many areas/developments. There are alot of nice areas, we decided we didn't want to build a new house....too many points of failure (supply chain issues, rising interest rates, etc. etc.). And yes we did have to spend more than we budgeted when we put together our plan last year. But we had a little cushion built in.

Looking forward to moving south!

Old 04-03-2022, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 8,628 times
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area