Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM

79 posts, read 307,816 times

Advertisements

I wanted to be cool like my neighbors so I bought two rather large potted mums (wine red color) at a Stew Leonard's here in CT. I placed them on my front porch steps.

Now how do I take care of them, what do I do with them?

Please, you avid gardeners give me some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Water, pull off dead leaves and spent flowers. Enjoy!
More detailed instructions here:How to Care for Potted Mum Plants | eHow.com

Congratulations on the house!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
It's unlikely that your potted mum is going to winter over, in the pot, in Ct. Most people treat them as annuals, and eventually toss them out.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's unlikely that your potted mum is going to winter over, in the pot, in Ct. Most people treat them as annuals, and eventually toss them out.
If they are hardy Mums, then plant them in the ground. They are perennials and I have had success in having them come up and bloom again. I live in NY so we should be in the same gardening zone. I believe that after they die out in the winter and the stems become dead you're supposed to cut them back to the ground.

Also place wood chips over them after you cut them back.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 PM

64 posts, read 339,329 times
Something to remember about mums ~~ if you want them to bloom, they need to be in the dark at night. A bright streetlight or porch light will mess up their blooming program.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
If they are hardy Mums, then plant them in the ground. They are perennials and I have had success in having them come up and bloom again. I live in NY so we should be in the same gardening zone. I believe that after they die out in the winter and the stems become dead you're supposed to cut them back to the ground.

thank you.

I just bought mums for the first time, "hardy" mums, and I was told I have a good chance of them coming back if the winter wasn't too harsh, but I wasn't sure what to do with them once they died.

So, how much do you cut? I am picturing cutting all but an inch or so above the ground, or do you cut to ground level?

Thanks a lot, this has been on my mind but I keep forgetting to look it up!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
I would say an inch above the ground.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post

Mums, especially Belgium Mums, planted in the ground in zones 4+ often return. They have a tendency to flop open in the middle and therefore need to be divided almost every Spring and deadheaded till late June-early July to remain bushy and look their best.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I live in Maine and this past winter we had temps below -20 degrees and at times with little snow cover to protect them......but I had 3 mums come back and bloom this year. If you plant them in the ground and I guess cut them back (truthfully I dont remember doing this).
Plant them in a sunny place.

Mine came up in the spring and grew happily......now there is a tedious task that I opted to skip.....the beautiful chubby potted mums you buy in the fall are the result of careful and persistant pruning and pinching back of the growth over the spring and early summer.....to make the plants get bushy and thick....then in mid august stop and let them get their buds and flower in early fall................if you dont do this (like me) they will flower before fall.....mid august .....and their shape wont be so compact.....but still beautiful.....Then I cut off the spent flowers....and now those plants are in bud again and I think I will get a second set of blooms.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Water them when the top 1" or so is dry. -stick your thumb in the soil, if it feels dry, water.
Oh, and if they are sitting in that silly celofane, decorative stuff, remove it. Any excess water will rot the roots. If you see the color fading, you can give them a watering of plant food. But I suspect it will be freezing before then.
They should last til first frost/freeze. And yes, you could put them in the ground then for next year.
And follow posts 2 & 4.

PS Oh yes, and CONGRATS on the new home! Isn't it fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden