Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 27,529 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding that relocation depression is common, especially with older folks. Has anyone experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 10:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie59 View Post
It is my understanding that relocation depression is common, especially with older folks. Has anyone experienced this?
Not us but we’re in the Upstate with family nearby. We’re loving it here. Of course, there are slow days, especially last year because of the virus, but overall, this has been a great relocation for us.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,210 times
One needs to be excited about moving to a new area. If you don't really want to leave your home state/city, it's easy to become depressed being away from the things and people you are comfortable with.

We wanted to move here, love being here and have never looked back other than to visit friends and family. My parents, on the other hand, moved here to be closer to where we live so we could help them as they aged and my Dad never got over the move. He didn't really want to leave the state he had lived in his entire life and didn't try to get involved in anything that MB has to offer. He passed away a couple of years ago and never enjoyed his time here. My Mom, on the other hand, got involved in volunteering, the church, ladies groups, etc. She loved it here and had no desire at all to move back.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:36 PM

107 posts, read 113,009 times
For awhile, especially having none of my old friends here. But then I stroll half a mile to the beach and sit awhile, watching them post photos of hoodies and snow shovels and I smile.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 PM

396 posts, read 417,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie59 View Post
It's common in people who have convinced themselves that they have to move. The "grass is always greener" types.

If you're not 101% excited about a relo, this could present an issue.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:47 AM

276 posts, read 282,652 times
It absolutely happens…it is called situational depression. Sometimes when the hustle bustle of a move wears off and you finally settle in, depression can set in before a network of friends is made. Do your best to explore new places and try to get involved in something where you can meet new friends, exercise classes, Local Y, church etc

Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 AM

7 posts, read 6,567 times
It has been 7 or 8 months since your original post. Did you take the plunge and move and, if so, how is it going for you? Moved here 8 years ago and I have never looked back. Loved it the first day and still love it now. No family, friends or connections down here when we moved and left Western NY. We go back for Christmas and the family comes down in the summer. We love our home, the area and we have made some great friends. How are you doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area