Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,444,552 times

Advertisements

70 Trillions dollars in debt and we can't even pay ONE back! Are you in agreement that we are heading for a great depression? Just a matter of time? What plans do you have in place for your family if we do indeed reach that mark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,444,552 times
My physical plans is to buy couple acres somewhere and try to be self-sufficient. Learning the "old-school" way of living, growing your own food, etc. Considering going "off grid".

Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 PM

8,182 posts, read 6,936,303 times
I just hear Him whispering.. "Do not let your hearts be troubled..."

What can man do to me? nothing.
The Lord is my shepherd...
Fear is not profitable to my soul.
What will be, will be.
I'll just wait on Father to guide me.

peace..

Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,260 times
We can find peace in Him...
I know this because I heard it straight from Him!
I keep saying it, I know
over and over and over...
but I plead with all those who read to know that I do not take lightly what I say. I say it was from Him because it was....
and we need to listen....
and keep a watchful eye
our times will get hard
reality will set in with time...
it has to..there is no way to escape that reality when we keep going so deep into debt.
Even a person with no faith but has a "realistic" mind knows this.
It's getting rather obvious as time goes on.
Find peace in Him...
But while finding peace in Him...also trust in Him...
our times will be hard.
He already told us this...
do I think we need to prepare physically in our lives?
He never told me this...
but I would think that I'd be silly not to.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,074,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
70 Trillions dollars in debt and we can't even pay ONE back!
Hyperbole much?

Quote:
Are you in agreement that we are heading for a great depression?
No. We were heading for a depression. We are now just heading for a long drawn out recession with flat growth at best..

Quote:
Just a matter of time?
No not really. Most signs show relative improvement in the economy and not one economist anywhere is predicting a depression anymore (that I can find). We aren't out of the woods yet though.. unemployment probably needs to get to 12% nationally (14% true unemployment). Housing prices should.. should be flat for awhile at best.

Quote:
What plans do you have in place for your family if we do indeed reach that mark?
drinking.. lots of drinking..

Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
No not really. Most signs show relative improvement in the economy and not one economist anywhere is predicting a depression anymore (that I can find). We aren't out of the woods yet though.. unemployment probably needs to get to 12% nationally (14% true unemployment). Housing prices should.. should be flat for awhile at best.
You’re right; we’re not out of the woods yet. You might consider checking your figures. The “true unemployment” as you call it or “total unemployed U-6” as the Bureau of Labor Statistics calls it was 16.4% for May 2009.

I can’t help but wonder what is going to happen when people (baby boomers) begin to “retire” and find that their retirement funds aren’t sufficient for reasons such as inflation, market corrections and early withdrawals to stay afloat during this economic crisis. I have heard estimates that it will be the most devastating economical blow we will see. Possibly, a 55 trillion dollar pension crisis coupled with record unemployment, falling GDP and out of control Government spending can certainly send our economy into what folks will call depression.

Our plan; praise our Lord and savior Christ Jesus in every circumstance without seizing. Economically live debt free and continue to give from our abundance.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,941,651 times
I'm not worried. The rapture will wisk us away to heaven on July 11!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You’re right; we’re not out of the woods yet. You might consider checking your figures. The “true unemployment” as you call it or “total unemployed U-6” as the Bureau of Labor Statistics calls it was 16.4% for May 2009.

I can’t help but wonder what is going to happen when people (baby boomers) begin to “retire” and find that their retirement funds aren’t sufficient for reasons such as inflation, market corrections and early withdrawals to stay afloat during this economic crisis. I have heard estimates that it will be the most devastating economical blow we will see. Possibly, a 55 trillion dollar pension crisis coupled with record unemployment, falling GDP and out of control Government spending can certainly send our economy into what folks will call depression.

Our plan; praise our Lord and savior Christ Jesus in every circumstance without seizing. Economically live debt free and continue to give from our abundance.
Most of these words are my thoughts exactly. try to live debt free. It is a problem for me as for in the last 5 years, we have accrued the most debt we have ever had in our lives. So, when I came to think that we should be debt free....I was in trouble. I just pray that things will hold out long enough for us to pay much off.

People are moving into our area in massive numbers. Most are victims of the auto industries in the north. There are so many people being laid off in this area even now that it is still scarey. Many factories here are laying off as many as 50% of their employees...and these are factories that have been around for years.

Minimum wage increases seem great...but in reality they are not. In July the minimum wage will increase to 7 something federally. This again will lead to many more cut backs and lay offs...as many businesses have not planned for this. It has happened every time there is a federal minimum wage increase. Those states...such as ours who left the minimum wage at 5 something for those small businesses who do not make $500,000 or more during a year will be in deep trouble when the mandantory federal minimum wage goes into effect. I have tried to plan, by keeping my minimum wage at 7 something already....time will tell.

Yes, on the television it does seem things are improving....as a small business owner...I don't see it. I know that the government wants to keep things optimistic....but now it is seeming like things are just like when the last administration was in office....(Let's pretend everything's okay...and it will be so..)

So, for now, my goal is as salt and light stated.....live as debt free as possible and have faith....we need much faith... ---that is probably the most sensible advice I have heard.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:14 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,320,738 times
It's strange how we believe and expect this so called huge event called the rapture to happen, but most of us cannot believe to be cured of a common cold or migraine .

What is wrong with this picture ?.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-27-2009 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's strange how we believe and expect this so called huge event called the rapture to happen, but most of us cannot believe to be cured of a common cold or migraine .

What is wrong with this picture ?.
Good post pc...
we need more faith..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity