Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,573 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Loris. Any information about pros and cons appreciate
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 07:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,620,210 times
Since no one else is responding, I'll get the ball rolling. I do not live in Loris (live in Forestbrook on the south end) so my observations are from what I see in news reports and visiting the Loris area on occasion. Hopefully someone who actually lives in that area will respond to you as well.

The downtown area of Loris seems quite charming although there are several empty storefronts. But, overall, it's a nice central area with several locally owned restaurants/businesses. The town has an annual festival call the Loris Bogoff where a contest is held to find the best chicken bog (rice dish with chicken and other spices). We usually attend and it's a nice afternoon with lots of local flavor and a big car show. Definitely has a small town feel. I don't know how well outsiders integrate into the community....sometimes small towns can be clicky.

There is a medical center in town although I would assume if one had a serious problem, you'd probably need to be transported to McCloud Hospital in Little River. There's a Food Lion supermarket which eliminates the need to drive a long distance to do grocery shopping. There are banks, car repair shops, churches, etc in the town as well. The downtown area has easy access to Rt 9 which is the main road to the beach and more robust shopping opportunities. Depending on where you are living, access to Rt 9 may take a little longer than from the downtown area. Once you get outside the downtown area, the area is pretty rural which is a positive to many people and a negative to others.

Cons--Depending on whether going to the beach is important to you or not, the distance/time to the beach is at least 30 minutes and on the weekends even longer with traffic. Rt 9, once you get closer to Little River, backs up in the summer weekends. Getting to shopping at larger national big box stores takes about the same amount of time since you need to go to Little River or North Myrtle Beach for that type of shopping. Except for the Bogoff, the main source of entertainment will be in North Myrtle Beach and Little River. If you travel by air, it's a good ways to the Myrtle Beach airport (guessing 45 minutes). There seems to be more than a fair amount of crime in Loris that is probably drug related....shootings, break ins, etc. so be sure and check the crime maps of the area to ensure that the specific neighborhood that you are interested in does not fall in a high crime area.

Hopefully this is the type of information you are looking for, and hopefully someone who lives in Loris will respond with a closer perspective.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
We own a rental condo in MB so we have been to that area multiple times and I follow the local news stations' websites. I don't think Loris looks bad at all, but why does a town with just under 3,000 people have a crime rate (per the statistics posted here on City-Data and crime reports in the local news) almost double the national average?

This is a serious question, I'm not at all trying to throw shade, we obviously have crime where we live too, I'm just wondering why or if those numbers are skewed for some reason? I know that MB crime rates reflect high because it's a vacation mecca and there are a lot of crimes of opportunity, like wallets or phones or whatever left by the pool at a resort and getting stolen, or people on vacation leaving their common sense at home and getting into drunken altercations, etc., but people don't go to Loris for vacation, nor do the vacationers who come to MB spend time in Loris other than just passing through, right?

Honestly, we aren't going to move down there because of our family obligations here and we're very settled, but if we could, Loris is one area we would have possibly looked at. However, that would concern me.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:59 PM

13 posts, read 26,702 times
I've lived in Loris my entire life (except a year or so in NMB} and wouldn't trade it for any location. Great people here and you're close enough to the beach to have all that it offers but yet we don't have to deal with all the beach traffic and issues unless we choose to. The crime numbers are inflated because it's certain areas that have issues. The actual city limits of Loris is small but the postal area defined as Loris is geographically large. We feel perfectly safe going to any store or event in Loris. Many times the news reports a crime or event as happening in Loris when it actually may be in a community 5 to 10 miles away. We have lots of new homes beginning to be built here and people are discovering that Loris is a nice little town just inland from the beach. Best of both worlds for me.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loris19 View Post
I've lived in Loris my entire life (except a year or so in NMB} and wouldn't trade it for any location. Great people here and you're close enough to the beach to have all that it offers but yet we don't have to deal with all the beach traffic and issues unless we choose to. The crime numbers are inflated because it's certain areas that have issues. The actual city limits of Loris is small but the postal area defined as Loris is geographically large. We feel perfectly safe going to any store or event in Loris. Many times the news reports a crime or event as happening in Loris when it actually may be in a community 5 to 10 miles away. We have lots of new homes beginning to be built here and people are discovering that Loris is a nice little town just inland from the beach. Best of both worlds for me.
That's great, I figured it was something like that with the crime numbers. I hope Loris isn't the next "hot" place to be discovered and gets too built up and loses its small town charm!

Old 03-12-2021, 12:33 AM

107 posts, read 113,009 times
Nice small town, friendly people, awesome Christmas light display, but it's a lot like Aynor in the sense that if you're a Loris local, you're more "respected" than someone not from there. Not that you'll necessarily be shown any disrespect, but there are a lot of proud locals, and even if you integrate well into the population, you'll still be an "outsider".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area