Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 07:47 AM

48 posts, read 149,394 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

Sadly, we are needing 24 hour live-in care for our parents. They prefer to be in their home as long as possible. Any recommendations for agencies would be a blessing.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:54 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,008,160 times
There are a lot of agencies.....Comfort Keepers, Visiting Angels....you can get a list by googling it. I will tell you, it's quite pricey. My uncle has needed 24 hr. care for the last 5 years (dementia, and I'm an hour away).....we pay approx. $3500 every 2 weeks. more, if there's a holiday. These are Richmond Va prices...it may be different in SC)
Because of Obama's workplace rules, the week is divided with 2 women rotating in and out.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 AM

48 posts, read 149,394 times
Thank you, CB.

We are also working on this remotely. We have an agency in there right now and while I can google agencies, I am hopeful to get opinions or reviews of local agencies. Can you recommend any of them? Who do you trust, if you do not mind saying? We feel lost in a sea of choices and do not fully trust website reviews as they can be cherry-picked. We don't seem to have made a good choice with this first one.

Thanks again for your time and insight!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:07 AM

246 posts, read 202,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There are a lot of agencies.....Comfort Keepers, Visiting Angels....you can get a list by googling it. I will tell you, it's quite pricey. My uncle has needed 24 hr. care for the last 5 years (dementia, and I'm an hour away).....we pay approx. $3500 every 2 weeks. more, if there's a holiday. These are Richmond Va prices...it may be different in SC)
Because of Obama's workplace rules, the week is divided with 2 women rotating in and out.

We will have a similar need sometime this summer, when I will need live-in care for about a week for my parents. My son and I are planning to be out of town.

$1750/week is indeed pricey. Is there much of a market for finding informal caregivers on Craigslist or similar? I have to think that (for instance) some retired or unemployed lady would be happy to come in for a few days, $100-$150 per day plus room and board, in exchange for cooking, light housekeeping, and assisting with disabled elder needs. Needless to say, proof of COVID vaccination, background check, and ensuring said person were in the US legally, would be non-negotiables. (I speak basic Spanish but my parents do not.) This would be in the Columbia SC area.

You would think, with so many people out of work, that $100-$150 per day for doing little more than staying in-house for a few days, would be desirable to many. I know I'd do it, if I didn't have other obligations --- I'm retired and have no schedule to meet. $750 cash in hand is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:57 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,008,160 times
I'm in Va. but we've used Options for Senior America. He's had the same 2 caregivers for the last 2 years. One of them has been with him for 4 years.....prior to that, we had a few who shuffled in and out....right now, he's pretty happy with the women we have now. And that counts for A LOT, if you aren't physically there all the time. I have to depend on these people for his care, since I'm not close enough to see him daily.....and they do an awesome job, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area