Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 06:42 AM

790 posts, read 1,624,636 times

Advertisements

Generally, the further inland one is, the less prone structures are to hurricane damage. However, when looking at Conway, pay close attention to the flood maps as there are low lying areas that are prone to flooding during hurricanes.

If beach life is important to you, depending on where in Conway you live, it can take an hour to get to the beach especially on the weekends with tourist traffic.

We've lived here 12 years in Socastee and now Murrells Inlet and lived through multiple hurricanes with little damage to our house. The most we've suffered is a few shingles blowing off the roof. Now, that's not to say that if a cat 4 hurricane blew through there wouldn't be more damage but, usually, hurricanes are lower intensity and cause less damage. The other thing is that if you are living in a townhome, the HOA is responsible for damage to the exterior of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 08:20 AM

10 posts, read 14,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Generally, the further inland one is, the less prone structures are to hurricane damage. However, when looking at Conway, pay close attention to the flood maps as there are low lying areas that are prone to flooding during hurricanes.

If beach life is important to you, depending on where in Conway you live, it can take an hour to get to the beach especially on the weekends with tourist traffic.

We've lived here 12 years in Socastee and now Murrells Inlet and lived through multiple hurricanes with little damage to our house. The most we've suffered is a few shingles blowing off the roof. Now, that's not to say that if a cat 4 hurricane blew through there wouldn't be more damage but, usually, hurricanes are lower intensity and cause less damage. The other thing is that if you are living in a townhome, the HOA is responsible for damage to the exterior of the building.
Thank you again ! Very helpful information. We have visited NMB a couple of times. Will checkout Murrells Inlet or Conway the next time we are there. Regards...

Old 12-02-2021, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 5,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roku12 View Post
Thank you for the reply I want to buy a home/townhome there, so that I can eventually retire in MB or nearby areas. Is Conway safer than Murrell's Inlet in terms of hurricane prone damage to houses/structures?

Most of Conway would be considered "safer" from flood damage than Murrells Inlet, but check the FEMA flood zone designation. If you're in lowlands of Conway on the Waccamaw river it could be dicey.

I'm in Myrtle Beach off Rt 544 about a mile+ from the ICW/Waccamaw river; also in the other direction about 10 minute drive from Myrtle Beach State Park {which is on the ocean} & rated 1/10 on that scale. My friend moved to Sunset Beach & his place is 2/10 which is pretty good & he's 5 minutes to the beach but over 15 minutes to Myrtle Beach State Park.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:49 AM

161 posts, read 238,125 times
We’ve owned our home since 2014, lived her permanently since 2015. Were in Murrells Inlet about 4 miles from the beach and haven’t had any issues with the hurricanes that have impacted the area.

Only once have we put up our hurricane covers on our windows and only because of the ordered evacuation. We would have stayed but my wife’s mother was hospitalized with a mini stroke and the hospital was also orders to evacuate. She was well enough that she came home but wife preferred we evacuate. We did but there it turned out to be unnecessary.

We have only ever had one tree branch in our yard and the only trees damaged (two) both fell into the woods next to our home.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 14,754 times
@hamiltonjoe1950.Thank you for sharing ur experience. We were a little stressed out about moving to a costal area. This makes me feel more confident.

Last edited by roku12; 12-16-2021 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Adding name.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalAkaWill View Post
Most of Conway would be considered "safer" from flood damage than Murrells Inlet, but check the FEMA flood zone designation. If you're in lowlands of Conway on the Waccamaw river it could be dicey.

I'm in Myrtle Beach off Rt 544 about a mile+ from the ICW/Waccamaw river; also in the other direction about 10 minute drive from Myrtle Beach State Park {which is on the ocean} & rated 1/10 on that scale. My friend moved to Sunset Beach & his place is 2/10 which is pretty good & he's 5 minutes to the beach but over 15 minutes to Myrtle Beach State Park.
My ex boyfriend lives in Conway off the Waccamaw River and two years ago he had ten feet of water in his living room. All of downtown Conway was flooded out.

Conway floods more than Myrtle Beach floods.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,598 times
We moved here in late 2013 and rented a condo in Tidewater Plantation, NMB. We then spent the next 5 months scouting the area as we had only been here one other time over Thanksgiving in 1989. We literally visited 100's of communities along the Grand Strand from Pawley's Is. to Ocean Isle in NC. We wanted to be within 10 miles of the ocean, 5 would be better! We found the northern part of the Grand Strand to be much more to our liking. We finally settled on Little River along Rt 9. Turns out we are 3.9 miles (driving miles from) from Cherry Grove Beach. Very accessible to shopping, great restaurants, entertainment, hospitals, doctors, etc. Rt 31 makes travel along the Grand Strand very easy, but there is traffic and lots of visitors in the summer. But moving here without prior knowledge of the area still requires some time on your to find the right area for you. Conway is a lovely old southern community but too far inland for my taste.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 6,598 times
Hi I am not sure I would lock myself into a community with a golf course. Several of that type of community have gone by the wayside as the course has closed and homes/condos were built on the course. There are still plenty of golf courses in the Myrtle Beach area and even more new and older communities that offer great housing - and allow rentals. I would visit the area and spend some time looking at various communities. If you are insistent on a golf community, Tidewater Plantation in North Myrtle Beach is another option. In NC just over the border there is Crow Creek, Sea Trail Golf Resort, Brunswick Plantation, Meadowlands Golf Club to name a few. SC is a less expensive state to live in than NC. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area