Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,918 times

Advertisements

We are 60+, retiring soon and considering moving to Myrtle Beach SC or Wilmington NC. We're having a difficult time picking Myrtle Beach SC or Wilmington NC. Other areas? Any ideas, thoughts, .... TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,210 times
When we were considering where to move, we also had the dilemma of NC vs SC. However, once we took a look at the difference in taxes, SC won out.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
Where SC gets you is on ad valorem taxes on boats and automobiles. I'd prefer NC myself.

Myrtle Beach is more of a tourist destination with many condos and RV parks. But it's got more golf courses per capita than any place on earth. Golf heaven!

Wilmington is more of a small port town.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Where SC gets you is on ad valorem taxes on boats and automobiles. I'd prefer NC myself.

Myrtle Beach is more of a tourist destination with many condos and RV parks. But it's got more golf courses per capita than any place on earth. Golf heaven!

Myrtle Beach for sure. The Grand Strand is growing rapidly and has much more to offer while Wilmington is a small town.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:20 AM

809 posts, read 1,181,189 times
What are you looking for? Golf communities? Lots of socializing or rather stay by yourselves? Condos, townhomes or single family? Lots of land or small lot? HOA or not. By the beach or inland? Price range?

Old 08-20-2020, 02:37 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Also check out Bluffton SC......lots of different communities, small and large. Not far from Hilton Head beaches.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:17 PM

734 posts, read 919,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscaffa View Post
We are 60+, retiring soon and considering moving to Myrtle Beach SC or Wilmington NC. We're having a difficult time picking Myrtle Beach SC or Wilmington NC. Other areas? Any ideas, thoughts, .... TY
Hi! We've been living here in the MB area for three years now. We love it here. We too; looked at different places in NC but MB area won out.

We live in Myrtle Trace SOUTH; a 55+ community. It's between 501 and 544; behind the Burning Ridge Golf Course. Conway Medical Center is just minutes away and we had to use them a few times already. Great medical care. Walmart is just a couple of minutes away. Taxes are great. Paying about $700 a year.

Wilmington NC was in the running only because it would put us a half hour closer to VA where my daughters live.

If you are a golfer; which I'm not, you will love it. Just blink your eyes and there is a golf course. Tons of restaurants nearby although the virus has kept us from going to them.

If you would like to chat; just let me know.

Mike

Old 08-24-2020, 12:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm30342 View Post
Myrtle Beach for sure. The Grand Strand is growing rapidly and has much more to offer while Wilmington is a small town.
Guys, Wilmington isn't Georgetown. Calling it a small town isn't accurate when comparing it to MB.

Yes Myrtle Beach is growing much more rapidly and it does offer more--primarily due to its outsized tourism sector. The resident populations of MB's and Wilmington's urban areas are about the same size with MB having 274K and Wilmington having 256K.

Wilmington is more akin to a scaled down Savannah or a bigger Beaufort....somewhere in between those two.

For the OP, Wilmington is a traditonal historic port city with a decent sized university and growing industries like pharma with its own set of beaches a short drive away. Before NC deep-sixed its film industry, Wilmington was known as "Hollywood East" for all of the films shot and produced there. Myrtle Beach, on the other hand, thrives on tourism with all of the thrills and pitfalls that come with it. Whichever you choose, you can enjoy what the other offers as they aren't far away from each other at all.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:33 AM

Ty

Old 09-01-2020, 08:36 AM

TY Would like to talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area