Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 30,456 times

Advertisements

Morning folks -

My parents have a home in the Pawleys area. I was planning on brining my family down (myself, my wife, a 3 year old with asthma and a four month old) to for a long weekend next week.

I'm very concerned with the numbers in SC. We would make only one big trip to the grocery store and then it's just the beach and the house until he head home.

My parents do very little social distancing (eating in restaurants, no masks, etc.) so we are very concerned.

We're thinking of just canceling all together but I wanted some advice from folks in and around the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
I would worry as much about being around your parents as Pawleys Island. They, and people like them, are the problem. The idiotic opposition to masks is beyond insanity. Both Georgetown and Horry Counties have mask mandates in place for all commercial buildings. From what we have experienced, restaurant employees are doing better, but the mandate is being largely ignored by customers and employees in other types of businesses. There is zero enforcement. In the past two weeks, covid-related inpatients increased from 4 to 48 in our local health system (hospitals in Murrells Inlet and Georgetown.)

If you come down, I recommend the beach at Huntington Beach State Park. You pay a little to get in, but IMO it's worth it. The Litchfield and Pawleys Island beaches have been very busy, and people don't think twice about setting up right on top of you. Both Lowe's Foods and Walmart offers curbside pick-up for grocery orders. We use them exclusively unless we have a food emergency. In both cases, food prices are identical to going in the store. Lowe's adds a $5 service fee to the order. Walmart does not have a fee. We have found that both Lowe's and Publix employees are consistently wearing masks, but outside vendors rarely do, and customers are about 50%. I'm told that Fresh Market enforces masks, but I'm rarely in that store.

Family is important, and nobody can tell you what to do. We live here, and we are seriously concerned. We have not eaten in a restaurant since early March. It's not fun, but we believe it is the responsible approach. If you come down, please try to talk a little sense into your parents. If you cannot do that, please take them home with you.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info. My parents own a beach house in NLB on the second row (they reside right outside of Roanoke, VA most of the time). The area we usually post up on the beach is generally not that crowded. I was planning on going down Thursday and leaving Sunday. So not that much time.

The problem is my step-father. He's 76 years old and a retired judge. He's always done things his way, whatever and however he wants. For example, last summer at NLB, a guys caught a five foot shark fishing on the shore, so of course everyone gets out of the water for a bit. He, to prove a point, walks right in to where the shark was swimming, turned around and said "see you all are overreacting, sharks aren't going to bite you." I wish I were making that up.

Covid is a major inconvenience for him and he refuses to accept it. He goes out of his way to shake peoples hands, come up to strangers to talk, not wear a mask, eat in restaurants, etc. all to prove a point. It's maddening to say the least.

I do want to see my mom. And she's taking things a little more seriously, but still not that much.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,544,694 times
If being a Republican anti-science AH is genetic then Darwin will eventually solve the problem. Too bad genetics takes a while......

Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
If you live in VA also, isn't it one of the states requiring residents to quarantine after visiting the Myrtle Beach area? We have friends in PA who had to cancel a visit to Pawleys because his employer was going to require him to quarantine for 14 days before coming back to work. They said Pawleys was close enough to MB to be a concern, which is true.

The issue has become confrontational down here, rightly or wrongly (usually rightly) associated with the political friction. Hopefully, your step-father's age will earn him a pass, but walking up into a stranger's face can very well earn him a punch.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:52 AM

Virginia isn't requiring it now, but I do think our governor is going to scale back our phase 3 reopening. I think I will self quarantine from work when we get back. If we go.

Honestly, he probably deserves a punch at this point.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:05 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
If you plan on going to the beach then go early and clearly mark your perimeter of safe distance in the sand.

I go to the beach daily but from 7-9am. I won't stay past 10am because I see too many people arriving and not caring where they sit or how close they are to others.
I've seen people coming early and marking their spots so as to stay a safe distance.
One guy even brought his Memorial Day lawn flags to stake out his claim telling me "the morons can't tell 6 inches from 6 feet".

I'm up in North Myrtle Beach.

Pawleys Island Covid Concerns-img_0286.jpeg

Old 07-16-2020, 08:38 AM

82 posts, read 73,062 times
You have a child with asthma. It’s a huge risk to put your child on the road right now let alone to one of the world’s hotspots. More and more minors are dying from the virus, especially those with pre-existing conditions. It’s not worth losing a child, OP. I implore you to reconsider this trip this year.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:01 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
I would stay as far away from them as possible. Your father is a selfish person. It is not worth the risk....especially too your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area