Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,864 times

Advertisements

Looking to make the move from Mass to SC, sold our house and visiting in early March. Have contacted a realtor and he sent me info on Arbor Glen, a new development in Longs. Does anyone have any feedback on Arbor Glen? We were concentrating on Murrells Inlet or Little River before I heard for the realtor. Any info would be very helpful, just gotta get out of Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM

790 posts, read 1,627,094 times
I have no feedback on Arbor Glen but do have two recommendations.
1. The north end of the Grand Strand has a completely different vibe than the south end so consider what's important to you when choosing an area.

2. Rent for a year before you buy. That way you can determine whether you like the area that you're considering buying in.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 11,249 times
CTyankee54,

We are also looking into either south or north of Myrtle. Could you describe in your opinion what the different vibes are? Also, how is the vibe in Pawleys? We are coming down from northern NJ. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 PM

790 posts, read 1,627,094 times
IMO the north end is quieter, more laid back... more like MB was many years ago. However, that translates to less activities and possibly not quite as strong a school system (but don't hold me to that because I have no kids in the school system). That's not to say that there are not activities...just not as many.

The south end is busier, more businesses and it takes less time to get to different activities that one might like to do in MB, Surfside, Garden City, Murrells Inlet or even Conway. It's closer to the airport, the only real shopping mall in the area, the state parks (where we go when we want to go to the beach) and there seem to be more doctors, dentists, etc than the north end. For families, Carolina Forest is known for having lots of families with strong schools. We looked from Little River to Murrells Inlet before settling on the south end because we felt is was more convenient to everything.

As far as Pawleys, my brother-in-law used to work down there so I can only tell you what he said and impressions one gets from comments of others. The reputation is that it's full of pretentious, rich folks. However, there are a couple of other folks on this forum who are much more familiar with Pawleys than me, so you should listen to what they say more than me...LOL.

What are you looking for as far as lifestyle and housing costs?

Old 01-30-2020, 05:59 AM

Thank you CTyankee, sounds like MI would be for us. Kids are 26 (coming with us for now), 22 (military), and 19 (in college). We like to be outside - walking the beach and walking around, boating, motorcycling. Not into "pretentious". Husband golfs occasionally and friends who golf will be visiting, but we don't need to be in a golf community. We like both the raised beach house and low country housing styles - not cookie cutter. $350k or so. 26 year old will be looking for jobs in Charleston area and eventually moving there. We like the MI area because of its proximity to water, Myrtle Beach and Charleston and it seems to have nearby stores/services. Liked the Pawleys area too, because it's a bit closer to Charleston, but it sounds like we would fit in better in MI.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:18 AM

Sorry to hijack your post Tee em up! Good luck to you in your search! We have visited a few times and it seems to me that the place to be is either north or south of Myrtle and not too much inland, although inland you get much more for your money. Selling your house is a big first step - we will hopefully do that soon, it's going on the market in March, move in ready, so we are crossing our fingers for a quickish sale.

We are excited, and anxious, about leaving northern NJ. We have a lot of amenities around here, but also a lot of congestion, high prices, etc. We are looking for more laid back lifestyle!

Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 AM

CTyankee54, thanks for the feedback, just what I was looking for. Tosk1, no problem my friend we're all trying to all the info we can.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:22 AM

161 posts, read 238,364 times
Tee em up:

We live in and love Murrells Inlet. We visited over 50 developments when we first decided to move here over 8 years ago although we did not move here until we retired in 2015. (We live in Meadows of Saint Patrick’s which is between the Meadowoods and The Lakes Development near the Indigo Creek golf course.)

We felt some of the areas around MB were just too busy for our taste while we felt the vibe in MI was more laid back. At the same time while it can never a hike to North Myrtle Beach if we want to go there we don’t mind. Now that Route 31 is open from Route 707 in Socastee (we reach 31 in about 5-10 minutes) it’s a lot quicker.

Huntington Beach State Park offers a yearly pass which is great for photography, hiking, and swimming which is much less crowed than Surfside, Garden City and beaches north of us. (The pass is 49.50 annually for residents 65 or older and now gives admission to a few plantations and Antalya which is at HBSP)

Old 01-31-2020, 02:51 PM

Thank you Hamiltonjoe, we're making our 1st visit in March and MI will be the first area of several to see. Huntington Beach State Park sounds like it has something for everyone. We have 2 large Ridgebacks so we'll also be looking for fenced in dog parks within a reasonable driving distance. Have you found the Bike week to much of an inconvenience?
If you don't mind me asking , if you hadn't chosen Murrells, what was your 2nd choice?

Old 02-01-2020, 05:44 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,705,016 times
https://www.myrtlebeach.com/myrtle-b...-myrtle-beach/

Link to local dog parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area