Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times

Advertisements

Seems to me there was a post like this, but I can't find it. Do you have much bugs, snakes or other creature...aligators? Creepy stuff?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
No.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Now T, don’t fib to the nice people. If you spend your time at the mall and the yacht club, you probably won’t see many other than mosquitoes, but yes, the natural environment of this area include an abundance of all of the above. Alligators were here long before people and will be long after we are gone. Any freshwater body of any size is likely to have its resident gator. Snakes are not a huge problem because they are people-shy, but they are present whether you see them or not. We’ve had our resident hog nose snake for about 6 years - shows up every spring. Anytime we dig in our natural areas, we can expect to uncover a gray snake or two - small and harmless. Mosquitoes are our state bird, but most areas have a spraying program that is reasonably effective at killing them as well as butterflies, lightning bugs, etc. The poison does not discriminate. Palmetto bugs, a member of the roach family, are native to this area, but other than being big and ugly, they are not really a problem. Most single-home families will sooner or later resort to a pest control service, which usually does a good job of controlling most pests. None of the above are a serious problem in most locations, but they are a natural part of living here. It’s a package deal. You gotta take the bad with the good.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
See, I love seeing alligators and snakes and other more unusual wildlife. Makes me feel that humans are not totally destroying the area. As far as bugs go, they are worse here in Southern NJ (where I am now) than in Murrells Inlet!

Old 06-25-2018, 02:10 PM

99 posts, read 141,306 times
We can get mosquitoes during the day in MB, we never did in Boston. When I sit outside on my back porch I have a large fan going next to me, keeps the bug away. They're out at night of course also. I've been here a year and haven't seen a palmetto bug in my house.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:11 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
Thank you so much to all. I appreciate it.
It is all worth it, to live in such a beautiful place!!

Old 06-30-2018, 12:38 PM

99 posts, read 141,306 times
Also, the no see ums I believe is what really bites us.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 AM

88 posts, read 167,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
See, I love seeing alligators and snakes and other more unusual wildlife. Makes me feel that humans are not totally destroying the area. As far as bugs go, they are worse here in Southern NJ (where I am now) than in Murrells Inlet!
We are still in So. Jersey and I can relate to "T's" comment.
We are both very active out doors an so find thread like this one informative and interesting. I will be biking and kayaking down there, as well as fresh water fishing so the alligator part sounds a bit intimidating. Hoping they don't go after small boats...LOL. I had a few encounters with them in So. Florida when I lived down there.

Regards,
Len

Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM

16 posts, read 13,323 times
Lots of cockroaches

Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM

70 posts, read 75,816 times
I was searching for senior communities without snakes for a place to rent or buy my first place down there, but came across a news article which mentioned there are loads of snakes in the woods next to Myrtle Trace. Anyone know of a built up area where there are no woods and no rivers/creeks/ponds, maybe a "concrete jungle"? I'm an urban person and know that when you live downtown, at least up North, you don't see snakes, but I don't know about MB. Also unless it's a small town, you often get more crime downtown. Any suggestions? I did find one 55+ community in Market Common but from the map it looks far away from the main area of Market Common and wonder if it's really in Market Common. I think it's called Cresswood, looks like all new homes and they start in the upper 200,000's but the ones I saw online for sale are mostly over 350,000. I forget about the HOA's there. Also from the map it looks like thick foliage near the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area