Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 AM

70 posts, read 75,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...2cb799a0f.html

The story said not actually to move 100 miles inland but to evacuate that far in order to be safe..Several news pieces online.
Around where I am, trees occasionally have fallen on people even in cars and killed them. I think one person up here had a tree kill them while in the house, but that must be rare. We're all used to tornadoes hundreds of miles inland but up North I've heard only occasionally about the tree problems and of course electrical accidents, falls trying to deal with flooding, etc. I try to stay in right after a storm for at least a day, but can't always and stick to areas/roads that don't have many big trees close to where I'll be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hurricane Hugo DECIMATED Charlotte. I cannot imagine Nikki Hailey saying to live 100 miles inland to avoid hurricanes considered what they have done to SC through the years. She isn't that stupid.

Make no mistake, a direct hit from a Hurricane 1 or 2 will kill you. Ever have a tree land in the middle of your home? I have from Hugo and it came ashore 80 miles south of my house. We had water up through the second floor of our home.

I'm not trying to scare you but you seem really naive.

Myrtle Beach hasn't had a direct hit from a hurricane in decades. Hurricane Hazel in 1956 if I'm not mistaken.

It is the ones that miss MB that do all the damage.
I was thinking that Nikki Haley must then think 100 miles is a minimum safe distance from the coast to live if you want to really avoid hurricane damage.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:31 AM

vrexy, ah, I had forgotten about a generator. I've not searched the Generac, but sounds too good to be true. It looks similar to an outdoor A/C unit so I wonder if you can keep it outside also. Wonder if anyone reading has one or knows someone who does.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 AM

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...395855421.html

Here another source saying she's asking for the 100 mile evac. Why's she saying this is safe (minimum) when there can be decimation 200 miles inland? Wouldn't the evacuated people 100 miles inland also be at risk? I just read even hotels and skyscrapers in Charlotte had broken windows.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
I was thinking that Nikki Haley must then think 100 miles is a minimum safe distance from the coast to live if you want to really avoid hurricane damage.
If ya need to go 100 miles inland to be safe from hurricane damage, that's how far she must think you'd need to live (even though she didn't say that's how far you'd have to live, it's the same result).

Old 04-29-2018, 04:26 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
All hurricanes are different. Some can bring devastation hundreds of miles inland while others only hit the coast...it depends on the track of the storm. My daughter used to live near Columbus OH and a hurricane that hit TX many years ago and tracked up through the midwest was still punching near hurricane force winds when it hit her town and wiped out many trees, flooded homes and caused a great deal of damage. There is no hard and fast rule on how far you must travel inland to get out of the track of a storm nor is there a hard and fast rule on how far inland you need to live.

Generally, if you live or travel 100 miles inland to avoid a hurricane, you will be safe...the key word is generally. Some storms will require travel even further. If someone wants a guarantee to not be in the path of a hurricane, they need to move to somewhere like the Dakotas or Arizona. Of course, then you have to deal with tornadoes and brutal cold in the Dakotas or desert and brutal heat in Arizona. There's no place that's perfect to live. You have to weigh the benefits vs risks and decide what's best for your situation.

If your husband is deathly afraid of hurricanes and you also do are leary, then any coastal area is not the best place for your family to relocate. Perhaps a further evaluation of places that are warmer but not near the coast would be a good thing to do.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:11 AM

182 posts, read 247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
The potential of hurricanes is always present but the number that actually make landfall in MB is small. You always get advance warning that they may be coming although the exact track can change at the last minute. Most of the time, if you evacuate anywhere west of I-95, you're out of the worst of the storm. Many people just book a hotel and go for a little vacation while others use a storm as an "excuse" to go visit relatives in another state. Plans differ based on each family's needs, available funds and willingness to travel.

My parents (in their early 80's when they moved) moved here after we did. My Mom loves it here and would never leave. My Dad hates it here and would leave tomorrow if he could. Life is what you make of it and if you have a good attitude, you can adjust to a new place but if you don't really want to move, it's hard to adjust the attitude.

The one piece of advice I give everyone...visiting MB or any vacation spot is VERY different than actually living here. One may love the vacation but end up hating the actual life in an area because of the crowds, different weather and culture. So, I always advise renting before buying and that's what it looks like you're planning. That way, if you don't like the area, you can easily pick up and go somewhere else. Or if you don't like the part of MB that you've selected, you can relocate to an area you find more interesting. You may also want to consider coming down for a week or 2 to explore the area before even selecting a rental. We took two trips to explore MB before we moved down and looked from Little River all the way to Murrell's Inlet to get a feel for the communities, shopping, activities, etc. It was time well spent (didn't do any tourist things during either trip) because we ended up in an area we didn't even consider when looking online from afar. But, we love it here.

As far as insurance, obtaining insurance is not a problem. If you end up buying and having a mortgage, wind and hail coverage is required.
While you're on the subject of "living there", what are the big culture differences from say the North East upper Mid-Atlantic states. I'm in Annapolis, love it, but not all the BS taxes here. Would you say it gets to hot there to long, topography boring? healthcare etc .... Is there still a feel from the locals the Civil War is still going on with the Yankees?

Old 04-30-2018, 02:41 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
Weather--Imagine your two hottest weeks during your summer and that's what it's like pretty much for June-August.

Topography...pretty flat until you get inland towards Columbia. Lots of pine trees! Not much color in the fall but you can always take a trip to Greenville where the colors are great. On the flip side...the ocean and beach are beautiful.

Healthcare...that's a touchy subject. Some think it's pretty good while others have nothing good to say. I have found it good and haven't had trouble finding doctors and my Dad had excellent care when he was hospitalized last year. If I had something really serious, though, I probably would go to Charleston.

Culture differences...the main thing to keep in mind is that, despite its reputation as a huge vacation place, the Grand Strand is really a bunch of small towns strung together over a 60 mile distance. If you are looking for Broadway Shows, big name concerts, huge museums, etc., you're just not going to find that here. However, we do have some pretty darn good local theatres, Carolina Forest HS does some amazing shows and Brookgreen Gardens is beautiful. Other differences...one reason taxes are low is that the city/county does not provide as many services as in the north. Other than in MB, if you want trash service, you pay for it...if you want your kid to play soccer outside the school team, you pay for it...if you want the trash picked up along your road, you probably have to do it yourself. Recycling, which was mandatory where I moved from (you could be fined for putting recyclables in your trash) is up to your to take to the recycling center or pay for someone to pick it up. On the flip side, it's nice not to have government in your face all the time, people are generally nicer, the weather is definitely better in the winter, the pace is slower.

Re locals and the Civil War with Yankees....well, you'll always be a Yankee no matter how long you live here but most people who live here are from somewhere else. Most true locals are nice to everyone as long as if when you want to change something you don't start off the sentence with..."where I come from we did it...." THAT will guarantee you a "bless your heart" from a local (and "bless your heart" is NOT a compliment LOL).

Moving to a new place is full of challenges and change. If a person wants it to be like where they're coming from, then they should probably stay where they are because if things are the same, the taxes and regulations here will increase dramatically. That's one of my biggest gripes about new arrivals...they want the same services they received up north but don't want the taxes to go up or, even worse, don't care if the taxes go up to get the services. Before you know it, the cost of living here will become too expensive.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
All hurricanes are different. Some can bring devastation hundreds of miles inland while others only hit the coast...it depends on the track of the storm. My daughter used to live near Columbus OH and a hurricane that hit TX many years ago and tracked up through the midwest was still punching near hurricane force winds when it hit her town and wiped out many trees, flooded homes and caused a great deal of damage. There is no hard and fast rule on how far you must travel inland to get out of the track of a storm nor is there a hard and fast rule on how far inland you need to live.

Generally, if you live or travel 100 miles inland to avoid a hurricane, you will be safe...the key word is generally. Some storms will require travel even further. If someone wants a guarantee to not be in the path of a hurricane, they need to move to somewhere like the Dakotas or Arizona. Of course, then you have to deal with tornadoes and brutal cold in the Dakotas or desert and brutal heat in Arizona. There's no place that's perfect to live. You have to weigh the benefits vs risks and decide what's best for your situation.

If your husband is deathly afraid of hurricanes and you also do are leary, then any coastal area is not the best place for your family to relocate. Perhaps a further evaluation of places that are warmer but not near the coast would be a good thing to do.
TemporarilyI'm fine near the coast and same with having to evacuate. I just need to be one of the first ones bec I don't want to be stuck in horrible traffic, where you can't get to a restroom or restaurant in time. Later, I'm going for Goose Creek, near Charleston. I just will be happy to get out of the North. i'm one of the people who can't stand the North and the cold that comes with it. I don't mind plantations and ranches but I hate farms. I don't mind the mountains of California (never visited but I've seen a lot of filmage) but hate the Appalachians, Shenandoahs, Smokeys.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Weather--Imagine your two hottest weeks during your summer and that's what it's like pretty much for June-August.

Topography...pretty flat until you get inland towards Columbia. Lots of pine trees! Not much color in the fall but you can always take a trip to Greenville where the colors are great. On the flip side...the ocean and beach are beautiful.

Healthcare...that's a touchy subject. Some think it's pretty good while others have nothing good to say. I have found it good and haven't had trouble finding doctors and my Dad had excellent care when he was hospitalized last year. If I had something really serious, though, I probably would go to Charleston.

Culture differences...the main thing to keep in mind is that, despite its reputation as a huge vacation place, the Grand Strand is really a bunch of small towns strung together over a 60 mile distance. If you are looking for Broadway Shows, big name concerts, huge museums, etc., you're just not going to find that here. However, we do have some pretty darn good local theatres, Carolina Forest HS does some amazing shows and Brookgreen Gardens is beautiful. Other differences...one reason taxes are low is that the city/county does not provide as many services as in the north. Other than in MB, if you want trash service, you pay for it...if you want your kid to play soccer outside the school team, you pay for it...if you want the trash picked up along your road, you probably have to do it yourself. Recycling, which was mandatory where I moved from (you could be fined for putting recyclables in your trash) is up to your to take to the recycling center or pay for someone to pick it up. On the flip side, it's nice not to have government in your face all the time, people are generally nicer, the weather is definitely better in the winter, the pace is slower.

Re locals and the Civil War with Yankees....well, you'll always be a Yankee no matter how long you live here but most people who live here are from somewhere else. Most true locals are nice to everyone as long as if when you want to change something you don't start off the sentence with..."where I come from we did it...." THAT will guarantee you a "bless your heart" from a local (and "bless your heart" is NOT a compliment LOL).

Moving to a new place is full of challenges and change. If a person wants it to be like where they're coming from, then they should probably stay where they are because if things are the same, the taxes and regulations here will increase dramatically. That's one of my biggest gripes about new arrivals...they want the same services they received up north but don't want the taxes to go up or, even worse, don't care if the taxes go up to get the services. Before you know it, the cost of living here will become too expensive.

Hope this helps.
I can see I will need a generator in case the A/C fails. I'd rather be a little too hot than a little too cold, but when it's too hot for a fan, and for me that's hot, I really need A/C. Maybe the generacs are good. I still have not searched those but if they're not satisfactory, I guess I'll lay in a bathtub all day. Maybe I should have a pool! When you said about how you pay for services there, it sounds just like a never ending vacation. When you go away, unless you have reasonable housing, you pay "out the nose" for a decent rental and you may not have a gym to go to and your kids may not have their sports for the duration of the vacation, but will replace those with other physical activities, like swimming, walking and going on amusement rides. However, if you live there, your housing can be reasonable and you will continue to feel you're on vacation -- all the time! And you can get into or your kids into a sports team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area