Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:59 PM

638 posts, read 994,942 times

Advertisements

We really like Market Common and a home in Park Place built by Beazer. When we first started looking at it in the summer,the base price was $280,990.00 and with our options and choices,it was within our set budget. When we went back in December,the base price had went up to $297,990.00,but with the discount they were giving us,it was still within our budget. Now the base price is $302,000.00,so it’s putting us over our budget. I don’t see how they can justify a $5,000.00 increase in just a month and a $22,000.00 increase in six months! It is getting quite annoying and frustrating to say the least. We aren’t putting our current home up for sale until the end of March. If they keep going up at the rate they have been,we’ll really be outpriced. Has anyone else experienced this? Should we get another realtor outside of Beazer to negotiate for us instead of using the one at Beazer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,545 times
Law of supply and demand...they don't have to justify it based on costs of materials or labor...if they have buyers at the higher price, they will certainly raise the price. Obviously they have buyers or they wouldn't be doing it. They only way to ensure one gets a house at the price one wants is to sign a contract and have it built. If one don't have the finances to do so, then what you're seeing is what can happen.

I'll let others provide advice on whether an agent could help with negotiations but they certainly aren't going to get the price back to $281K on a brand new house that's listed at $302K. We had our house built by a builder similar to Beazer (but not Beazer) and after negotiating the price and before signing the contract, they wanted to verify that we would not bring in an agent. They said that they price would be higher if I brought in an agent.

Also, I can almost guarantee the price will go up again when the true selling season starts again in the spring.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Law of supply and demand...they don't have to justify it based on costs of materials or labor...if they have buyers at the higher price, they will certainly raise the price. Obviously they have buyers or they wouldn't be doing it. They only way to ensure one gets a house at the price one wants is to sign a contract and have it built. If one don't have the finances to do so, then what you're seeing is what can happen.

I'll let others provide advice on whether an agent could help with negotiations but they certainly aren't going to get the price back to $281K on a brand new house that's listed at $302K. We had our house built by a builder similar to Beazer (but not Beazer) and after negotiating the price and before signing the contract, they wanted to verify that we would not bring in an agent. They said that they price would be higher if I brought in an agent.

Also, I can almost guarantee the price will go up again when the true selling season starts again in the spring.
Of course,we would never expect the price to go back to the $280k,but never expected it to go up that much that quickly either. The demand can’t be that high especially this time of the year. I think greed is setting in. We will have plenty of finances when our house is sold. It’s Just a matter of what we think it’s worth and if we’re willing to pay it or not.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM

Actually,let me rephrase that......we have plenty of finances now. We just don’t want to take any unnecessary risks before our home is sold.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:09 PM

312 posts, read 516,719 times
My initial thought was it must be a "hot" area. I know when I signed a contract for a Centex home in Mt. Pleasant years ago, it skyrocketed from the time I signed the contract to the time I moved there. It was crazy.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,545 times
Market Common is a very desirable area and they seem to be selling houses as fast as they can build them. We live in Forestbrook and they started a new 350 home community next to ours a couple of years ago and I thought it would take them 3-5 years to sell all the lots/houses. They sold them all in less than 2 years. With the economy picking up and houses selling in the north again, many people are moving south. And that's why the MB housing market is building/selling houses so fast. For new houses, I think there's the super-heated time of year (summer) and the the hot time of year (the rest of the year including winter.

I'll give a personal example of how house prices are escalating. We tried to buy an investment property last spring for $170K and it sold within 2 days for asking price (we were not the buyers). We ended up buying a similarly sized house 4 months later for $195K (originally listed for $220K). The price appreciation in the past year has been phenomenal.

Is the price increase on the house you are interested in a result of greed? Perhaps...but, as I said, if they have willing buyers, why wouldn't they raise the price to whatever the market would bear? Anyone selling anything tries to maximize their profit.

I applaud your caution in not taking too much risk by investing your extra $$ prior to selling your home. The flip side of the risk is that, as you've experienced, prices can go up.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM

All very good and valid points and your comments and opinions are appreciated. Yes,Market Common is a very desirable area for many reasons and I’m sure that is a big part of the price,but we had no idea it was that “hot”. We are still wondering if we might be better off having someone else represent us the buyer instead of working with someone who is representing the seller. We shall see.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,986 times
Could you use the idea of bringing in a buyer's agent as a bargaining point? Since the seller would normally have to pay the commission to the buyer agent? At 3% commission to the buyer agent that's about $9000.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Could you use the idea of bringing in a buyer's agent as a bargaining point? Since the seller would normally have to pay the commission to the buyer agent? At 3% commission to the buyer agent that's about $9000.
Yes,that’s exactly what we plan to do. We definitely need someone to represent us if they’re going to be that aggressive and excessive in price increases. We would have did that to start with,but we thought Beazer was going to be fair to work with,but we were so wrong.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:21 AM

99 posts, read 141,635 times
When we were looking to buy our condo here years ago, the realtor advised sellers to raise the price 10K higher than the previous price every time one sold and they were selling like crazy, these were not new condos. I didn't like it, but I jumped in before the price kept going up, I sold it for 100K profit two years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: