Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:35 AM

638 posts, read 995,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY12 View Post
When we were looking to buy our condo here years ago, the realtor advised sellers to raise the price 10K higher than the previous price every time one sold and they were selling like crazy, these were not new condos. I didn't like it, but I jumped in before the price kept going up, I sold it for 100K profit two years later.
WOW!!😱 That’s great,but we’re not looking for an investment to make a big profit. We’re looking for our final(hopefully) retirement home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM

231 posts, read 156,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Law of supply and demand...they don't have to justify it based on costs of materials or labor...if they have buyers at the higher price, they will certainly raise the price. Obviously they have buyers or they wouldn't be doing it. They only way to ensure one gets a house at the price one wants is to sign a contract and have it built. If one don't have the finances to do so, then what you're seeing is what can happen.

I'll let others provide advice on whether an agent could help with negotiations but they certainly aren't going to get the price back to $281K on a brand new house that's listed at $302K. We had our house built by a builder similar to Beazer (but not Beazer) and after negotiating the price and before signing the contract, they wanted to verify that we would not bring in an agent. They said that they price would be higher if I brought in an agent.

Also, I can almost guarantee the price will go up again when the true selling season starts again in the spring.
I agree. The market is very good right now with demand for nice new homes in good communities.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

312 posts, read 516,851 times
The market is excellent. I was talking to neighbors last weekend. I’d like some small jobs done on a home I had built less than two years ago. The neighbor said he’s the same way. We’ve both found it’s hard to find the people you want to hire for small jobs. They are so busy right now working with builders on large jobs.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,133,186 times
Sounds like everyone is feeling the market in Myrtle Beach and areas along the Grand Strand are heating up. We're headed to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks to spend a month looking around to determine which area we'd like to live. Wasn't real sure about buying unless a specific house/neighborhood 'talks to us' when we do a drive by. Maybe sounds like we really need to consider finding a house while we are there if the market is getting that hot and this is still 'off season' for Real Estate before spring.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:10 AM

790 posts, read 1,624,397 times
I know what I'm about to recommend flies in the face of what this thread is saying about house prices, but I always recommend renting for the first year so that you get to know the area and determine which neighborhood or area of the Grand Strand you like. Yes, housing prices will probably go up but paying a little more later is better than buying a house and being unhappy with the area that you're living and it will potentially cost you more to sell the house in a year or two (commissions/closing costs) than waiting.

Now, if you find something that you're absolutely sure of when exploring or you're very familiar with the area before moving here, then buying would make sense.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Sounds like everyone is feeling the market in Myrtle Beach and areas along the Grand Strand are heating up. We're headed to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks to spend a month looking around to determine which area we'd like to live. Wasn't real sure about buying unless a specific house/neighborhood 'talks to us' when we do a drive by. Maybe sounds like we really need to consider finding a house while we are there if the market is getting that hot and this is still 'off season' for Real Estate before spring.
If they keep going the way they are now though.....especially in some areas,they’re going to price themselves right out just like they and Florida did a few years ago. It’s a nice area,but doesn’t warrant those kind of excessive,rapid increases. Make sure the quality and value is there before committing. Even though you might be planning on staying in the home forever,you never know what might happen in the future. Make sure you can at least get your money back should something happen and you had to sell.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Law of supply and demand...they don't have to justify it based on costs of materials or labor...if they have buyers at the higher price, they will certainly raise the price. Obviously they have buyers or they wouldn't be doing it. They only way to ensure one gets a house at the price one wants is to sign a contract and have it built. If one don't have the finances to do so, then what you're seeing is what can happen.

I'll let others provide advice on whether an agent could help with negotiations but they certainly aren't going to get the price back to $281K on a brand new house that's listed at $302K. We had our house built by a builder similar to Beazer (but not Beazer) and after negotiating the price and before signing the contract, they wanted to verify that we would not bring in an agent. They said that they price would be higher if I brought in an agent.

Also, I can almost guarantee the price will go up again when the true selling season starts again in the spring.
Would you believe we just found out Monday from the realtor who has been helping us that the price has increased again in just a month over $15,000.00! That’s over $37,000.00 since the summer!😱 Seriously?! Beazer is blaming it on the rising cost of lumber,concrete and other building materials. Supposedly,the cost of everything is moving up. Even though we didn’t like it,we accepted the first two increases,but they’ve went too far this time and it’s not even spring yet,so we know there will be another increase then. We still think GREED has set in. We had already picked out all our materials,color options,etc.(Just a proposal thank goodness) to get our bottom line costs,but we are finished with Beazer and good luck selling the next phase. If they sell them all,it will be to people who have more money than common sense. They’re going to price themselves out eventually. Not only that,but the mortgage interest rates have increased and are supposed to continue going up as the year goes on. All I can say is GOOD LUCK! We can do much better elsewhere. Was upset about it to start with,but am over it now and moving on without greedy Beazer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: