Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,672 times

Advertisements

We are coming for a visit on September 23 and was wondering what some of the residents think about the community. It looks like a nice place to live but the lot rent is what scares me about it. How often does it increase and by how much? I appreciate any information. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,936 times
Since no one has responded to your post, I'll give it a shot. First, I don't live in Lakeside Crossing but we did look there before deciding on the Forestbrook area. I spoke to several people who lived there when we visited the development and they were extremely happy with the community. I thought that Lakeside was very nice with great amenities and a beautiful setting. Like you, I was concerned about the fact that we would not actually own the property beneath our house. I felt that we would be at the mercy of the developer/owner on when and how much he wanted to raise the rent. The only nice thing I found with the fee was that it included everything...taxes, cost of amenities, etc. But, I did not like the potential issues with the rent and opted to not buy there. Also, keep in mind that it's a 55 and over community which limits your potential buyer pool if you ever want to sell.

A few years after we visited, there were several "protests" by some of the people who lived there because the developer was pricing the rent much lower on new homes he was trying to sell which made it nearly impossible for people to sell their existing homes. Why would anyone buy and existing home with land rent that is much higher than a brand new home? There was quite a ruckus. I don't know if anything was ever resolved, but it's something to keep in mind.

When you visit, my advice would be that after you talk with the sales agent, get out and walk around the community on your own and meet some of the people who live there. Ask lots of questions and if there are any existing houses for sale, knock on the door and ask the homeowner why he's moving.

Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area