Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 PM

482 posts, read 844,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb29456 View Post
So where did you go?
They have 10 total posts and all of them are about crime relating to Myrtle Beach. I think someone is hiding behind a extra account just to bash the Myrtle Beach area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM

215 posts, read 544,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I don't know why Leftcoast2b continues to hang out on this Board. He made it VERY clear while he lived here he hated every aspect of MB and now that he's moved away, he continues to bash.

The Myrtle Beach area has its problems like every city/area. And, no, it's not the cultural center of America but the entire area is not ghetto. There are certain areas that one would want to avoid at all times but, generally, most people feel and are safe here. Most crime is drug related and, generally, confined to those who participate in that activity or is related to domestic strife. Not that either is good, but it's not like it impacts everyone at all hours of the day/night. Another source of crime is foolish tourists doing stuff that they would never do at home (walking around town/beach at 2 am, hanging out in the middle of the night with people they've never met, inviting perfect strangers back to their hotel room to party, etc.) And, yes, I realize that these three sources of crime are do not encompass everything that happens here...but it does capture most.

There are many beautiful and safe areas of the Grand Strand. Market Common is wonderful. North MB is great. Conway is a quaint, active town aside from the troubled section. People should not let bashers and headlines keep them from visiting and/or consider moving here. Come visit, observe, talk to people who live in the neighborhoods and find out how they feel. Oh...and don't go running around alone at 2am or with people you don't know :-)

Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,593 times
After living in MB 9 years now crime has increased, but Myrtle has grown also. Growth comes with more crimes in most places. Unfortunately most of the crimes and shootings that are committed are from unruly and disrespectful visitors. Myrtle Beach is a very transient town. I've got to the point where I know the safe areas and areas to avoid just in general...With that said at no point do I ever feel unsafe in Myrtle Beach. I live in Carolina Forest and it's a perfect spot to get out of the city limits of MB and easy enough to access everything MB has to offer. Market Commons, Carolina Forest, and beach access avenues from 50th north and up is a great spot for locals to enjoy the beach. If you are looking for culture Myrtle just doesn't have that unfortunately. I've enjoyed living here, and I hope you do as well!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM

174 posts, read 257,548 times
After living here for only a few months, we can say that we are very happy here and feel right at home. Yes, there is crime in Myrtle Beach, but there is crime in all cities. You just have to use common sense about when and where you go. We live in the Market Common area. We talked with many "locals" before we made our decision. We wanted to hear from people who live here, not just from those who vacation here. They all had great things to say about the area. We have met many wonderful people in this community and they are all happy too. Although we've been here for only a short time, we feel that we have made the right decision and have no regrets.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
After living here for only a few months, we can say that we are very happy here and feel right at home. Yes, there is crime in Myrtle Beach, but there is crime in all cities. You just have to use common sense about when and where you go. We live in the Market Common area. We talked with many "locals" before we made our decision. We wanted to hear from people who live here, not just from those who vacation here. They all had great things to say about the area. We have met many wonderful people in this community and they are all happy too. Although we've been here for only a short time, we feel that we have made the right decision and have no regrets.
That's great to hear👍🏻Thank you!😀

Old 06-23-2017, 05:00 AM

312 posts, read 516,051 times
I've been local moving down from Long Island two years ago. I have no intention at this moment of leaving. I bought a lot on a twenty acre lake and built a home in Murrells Inlet. It's not centrally located but worth it to me to live in this area. I don't mind driving.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
I've been local moving down from Long Island two years ago. I have no intention at this moment of leaving. I bought a lot on a twenty acre lake and built a home in Murrells Inlet. It's not centrally located but worth it to me to live in this area. I don't mind driving.
WOW!😱That's a lot of land! Way too much for us at this point in our lives. We are going to be retired and want to be closer to things and have sidewalks to ride our bikes and walk. Market Common fits the changes we need and want perfectly. Glad you are happy and content!😊

Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
I think the lake is 20 acres, not the lot.

If you like the Murrells inlet area, check out Prince Creek. Filled with lot's of retiree's, sidewalks, pools, tennis courts, and other amenities.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
We don't live in the area but we own a condo in a nice section of MB far from the Boardwalk/party headquarters area of town. My advice to anyone is that it is all about where you spend your time when you're in MB and what time you're out and about. If you go down around the Boardwalk between, say, 10 am and 6 pm you will probably be fine, just keep an eye on your belongings and stay in open areas with other people around. I would definitely NOT go anywhere near that area after dark (actually, we don't go down there at all except for the rare occasion when we feel like eating at Pier 14 for lunch, there's just nothing there for us to make it worth it).

The problem in that area, as others have said, is all of the sleazy, cheesy, old, rundown motels, trailer parks, and "resorts" that blossomed in about 1965 and have quietly gone to seed ever since. They attract a very bad element and therein lies your crime problem. Even though there are some very nice resorts near the Boardwalk area, they are still in an area that attracts a rough element, no getting around that, and a lot of unsuspecting tourists and first time visitors don't know that until they get there. It's not like the Convention and Visitors' Bureau or the tourist brochures are going to advertise it.

I don't know if N. Myrtle Beach is a lot safer, I've never stayed there or spent much time there. There is a section of MB that is much more safe and family friendly in general, and that's where we always stayed before buying a property in the same area. It is the area along Ocean Blvd. roughly north of 48th Ave. and on up into the 80s Blvds., sometimes referred to as "The Golden Mile". It isn't any more expensive to rent a condo in a resort in that area than in the S. Ocean Blvd./Boardwalk area and it is a night and day different atmosphere. No place is perfect or guaranteed to be 100% crime free, of course, and any resort town, not just MB, attracts opportunistic losers who prey on tourists, but still...we've never had an issue and feel very, very safe when we're down there. It really is all about what part of the Grand Strand you spend your time in.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
I think the lake is 20 acres, not the lot.

If you like the Murrells inlet area, check out Prince Creek. Filled with lot's of retiree's, sidewalks, pools, tennis courts, and other amenities.

Good luck!
Thank you for that correction and you are absolutely right. I hurriedly misread it this morning. I thought that was an awful lot of land,but not unheard of.......especially by those rich guys from Long Island.😜
As for Prince Creek.....We have been there,but didn't like their HOA rules and regulations. They are way too strict....worse than where we are now and the community we're interested in in Market Common. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck wishes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area