Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 25,198 times

Advertisements

MB, NMB, Conway and Georgetown are pure ghetto and that includes Surfside, GC and Murells. Its bad enough there is no culture, art, music or food but, now you have to doge bullets, put bars on your windows and stay home at night. If you plan on moving anywhere withing a 30 mile radius of MB you're out of your friggin mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:13 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Is one of the problems that the clientele of some of the older, more marginal motels in the area of Ocean Blvd within about a mile or so from the boardwalk has changed from being tourists on a budget (i.e. college students, working class people just wanting to relax with a modest vacation) to more transient housing for a much more unstable/unsavory population (i.e. people addicted to "hard" drugs, hardened criminals, prostitutes, etc.) that rent "by the week" motels more typical of those in non-resort areas?

Some of those motels looked a little rough years ago, but instead of renovating when they started to look that way, just continued to deteriorate, perhaps were bought out by new owners who were increasingly inept when it came to managing them, and it seems as if their clientele has deteriorated along with them. Do people agree that this is the case, at least in that area?

I remember that particular area of Myrtle Beach close to downtown and the old Pavilion used to be seedy even a few decades ago, but that was mainly from "rowdy" behavior (drunks acting loudly, shooting off fireworks, etc.) that could be expected in a resort area, but not violent and criminal activities being commonly in the news today.

I think that could be part of it.. MYR seems to be more of the "party" beach while some of the smaller outlying towns trend to be more family oriented. I used to go to Myrtle Beach in High School and in College (remember the Pavilion and the Magic Attic) and while it was always rowdy..fights tended to be with fists among drunks and shooting were few and far between. I couldn't imagine being out on the strip walking taking in the lights and the warm night with a significant other or a child and having to hit the deck. I don't know what time of night it was but I am sure the Convention and Visitors Bureau likely will not be happy. I am sure MYR will persevere but there is increasing competition of the tourist dollar and its easy for folks to "write off" a place if it gets too much bad press.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 PM

734 posts, read 919,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoast2b View Post
MB, NMB, Conway and Georgetown are pure ghetto and that includes Surfside, GC and Murells. Its bad enough there is no culture, art, music or food but, now you have to doge bullets, put bars on your windows and stay home at night. If you plan on moving anywhere withing a 30 mile radius of MB you're out of your friggin mind
So where did you go?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,109 times
What about North Myrtle, is it a lot safer?, I saw one post above that said it was. We we're planning on coming there in a few weeks, but now my wife is concerned. We usually come that way every other year or so, but this is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:07 PM

638 posts, read 993,248 times
Quote:
😱 Have you been to Market Common? There's nothing ghetto about it and a lot of other areas in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding towns within 30 miles. We have been looking for years in a lot of places from Little River to Murrells Inlet and have found a lot of desirable areas. Market Common is at the top of our contender list right now and we are not out of our minds.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,261 times
For some reason there is a poster here who hates Myrtle Beach. I live in the Market Common and it really a nice area.
c

Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
For some reason there is a poster here who hates Myrtle Beach. I live in the Market Common and it really a nice area.
c
Yes,apparently they do.😏 I agree that Market Common is a VERY nice area and if that's where we end up,I would be happy to call it and Myrtle Beach my home.😊

Old 06-21-2017, 02:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
I don't know why Leftcoast2b continues to hang out on this Board. He made it VERY clear while he lived here he hated every aspect of MB and now that he's moved away, he continues to bash.

The Myrtle Beach area has its problems like every city/area. And, no, it's not the cultural center of America but the entire area is not ghetto. There are certain areas that one would want to avoid at all times but, generally, most people feel and are safe here. Most crime is drug related and, generally, confined to those who participate in that activity or is related to domestic strife. Not that either is good, but it's not like it impacts everyone at all hours of the day/night. Another source of crime is foolish tourists doing stuff that they would never do at home (walking around town/beach at 2 am, hanging out in the middle of the night with people they've never met, inviting perfect strangers back to their hotel room to party, etc.) And, yes, I realize that these three sources of crime are do not encompass everything that happens here...but it does capture most.

There are many beautiful and safe areas of the Grand Strand. Market Common is wonderful. North MB is great. Conway is a quaint, active town aside from the troubled section. People should not let bashers and headlines keep them from visiting and/or consider moving here. Come visit, observe, talk to people who live in the neighborhoods and find out how they feel. Oh...and don't go running around alone at 2am or with people you don't know :-)

Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I don't know why Leftcoast2b continues to hang out on this Board. He made it VERY clear while he lived here he hated every aspect of MB and now that he's moved away, he continues to bash.

The Myrtle Beach area has its problems like every city/area. And, no, it's not the cultural center of America but the entire area is not ghetto. There are certain areas that one would want to avoid at all times but, generally, most people feel and are safe here. Most crime is drug related and, generally, confined to those who participate in that activity or is related to domestic strife. Not that either is good, but it's not like it impacts everyone at all hours of the day/night. Another source of crime is foolish tourists doing stuff that they would never do at home (walking around town/beach at 2 am, hanging out in the middle of the night with people they've never met, inviting perfect strangers back to their hotel room to party, etc.) And, yes, I realize that these three sources of crime are do not encompass everything that happens here...but it does capture most.

There are many beautiful and safe areas of the Grand Strand. Market Common is wonderful. North MB is great. Conway is a quaint, active town aside from the troubled section. People should not let bashers and headlines keep them from visiting and/or consider moving here. Come visit, observe, talk to people who live in the neighborhoods and find out how they feel. Oh...and don't go running around alone at 2am or with people you don't know :-)
VERY well said and I totally agree!👍🏻

Old 06-21-2017, 04:11 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
Quote:
If you used to live here, you must have been in a very poor area of town to have this attitude - maybe your socioeconomic group is one of poverty or something like that. I don't know anyone who lives in a place like you describe. I don't know anyone who has bars on their windows or who lives in a ghetto here. Maybe you did and that's why you feel the way you do.

Everyone who I know that lives here, is very happy with this area and believe me, there is plenty of culture, art and music. There is also plenty of very good/excellent food. Where did you eat - out of dumpsters or something?

You sound like you lived in a box in the woods or maybe under a bridge somewhere. You definitely did not live anywhere near where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area