Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:49 PM

14 posts, read 13,559 times

Advertisements

I have read hundreds of posts on advice for people thinking about relocating to SC. Is anyone from Rochester Ny area or upstate area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,808 times
ROC.....We noticed that you too so far did not receive any responses to your post. We too are in the north, actually Phila., PA area, specifically in a suburb in Bucks County. Disappointed because in the past I always received at least one response to my post. We were still expecting at least as much response as we get from the people around here. Now we have to wonder how welcoming MB really is. If you care to respond, maybe we can figure things out together.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCtoMYR View Post
I have read hundreds of posts on advice for people thinking about relocating to SC. Is anyone from Rochester Ny area or upstate area?

BTW, my husband's old stomping ground included NYC. Not actually upstate though.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:08 PM

161 posts, read 238,229 times
We have a neighbor who moved here 2 years ago from Waterloo but I don't think he uses this forum. We also have two Long Islanders and a Binghampton neighbor. I'm originally fro Ohio but spent 45 years in various Northeast cities including Syracuse for 10 years (8 in Manlius/2 in Liverpool) and 1 1/2 in Albany.
There are a lot of New Yorkers down here and one of our friends who moved here three years ago lived in Rochester for 6-7 years back in th 90s.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 PM

120 posts, read 227,109 times
Not Rochester but we are from Long Island, NY. We just recently purchased land in Cypress River Plantation and will be building a house there in the summer after we sell ours here in NY. Looking forward to moving from NY to Myrtle Beach! Good luck!

Old 12-12-2016, 06:03 AM

9 posts, read 12,384 times
My wife and I are from ogdensburg ny, but now work in nyc. We are looking at buying a vacation/retirement home in Myrtle. We have been to myrtle 25 times over the years and really like it, but still debating a house there.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:19 PM

161 posts, read 238,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmymadcap View Post
My wife and I are from ogdensburg ny, but now work in nyc. We are looking at buying a vacation/retirement home in Myrtle. We have been to myrtle 25 times over the years and really like it, but still debating a house there.
There are homes to be had in this area with much depending on the specific area you would prefer, amount you are willing to spend, etc. It seems that the market is improving for sellers based on some of the listings I've seen in our development, the Meadows of St. Patrick in Murrells Inlet. I know of two sales which are pending a at least two homes which are for sale at present (I believe two of them are on Shenanigan Loop and I think both are listed for under $200K.

There are condos at Queens Harbor which start at $99,000 (no doubt the one bedroom models.)

(Been to Odgensburg a number of times when I lived in Syracuse..and moved here from just outside of NYC (Nanuet)

Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 AM

14 posts, read 13,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySandAndWater View Post
ROC.....We noticed that you too so far did not receive any responses to your post. We too are in the north, actually Phila., PA area, specifically in a suburb in Bucks County. Disappointed because in the past I always received at least one response to my post. We were still expecting at least as much response as we get from the people around here. Now we have to wonder how welcoming MB really is. If you care to respond, maybe we can figure things out together.
I figured it was a long-shot, seeing as though Rochester is pretty small. I can't judge a whole city on one little forum either. I was just hoping someone could compare an area in MB to one I would be familiar with. After visiting, it sure doesn't feel like "home", not very family friendly. However, husband has a job offer we can't pass up. With small kids, I want this move to be an easy transition.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCtoMYR View Post
I figured it was a long-shot, seeing as though Rochester is pretty small. I can't judge a whole city on one little forum either. I was just hoping someone could compare an area in MB to one I would be familiar with. After visiting, it sure doesn't feel like "home", not very family friendly. However, husband has a job offer we can't pass up. With small kids, I want this move to be an easy transition.
Well, in your original post all you asked was this:

"Is anyone from Rochester Ny area or upstate area?"

I'm not from that area, so I didn't respond. I did not know what else you wanted to know, because you didn't say anything about the fact that you were moving or anything else, except:

"I have read hundreds of posts on advice for people thinking about relocating to SC."

If you had asked a specific question or questions, you probably would have gotten more replies. If you had said that you wanted comparisons to areas here that are similar to the place you currently live, and described where you live, people would have been able to respond.

I don't know much at all about Rochester, so I can't tell you what would be similar. How about if you explain what type of community you are looking for and where your husband's job is located? The Myrtle Beach/Conway area covers a lot of miles. For anyone to be able to help you or give you advice, it would be nice to know what area you would want to live, what kind of a price range are you considering, are you planning to buy or rent, etc.

I live in Surfside Beach and really don't know much about the areas that aren't close to where I live. I can't advise you about Conway or the northern parts of Myrtle Beach. If you are looking to live in the south part of this area, then I can hopefully answer your questions, but first, you need to actually ask them.

I'm sorry that whenever you were here that you didn't get that "home" feeling and that you found it to not be family friendly. My opinion is the exact opposite. I LOVE living here.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 12,384 times
Money it's an issue with us. The issue which hold us back is that we don't want to retire to a constant college party atmosphere. It's fun to vacation to, sure. We are looking north and south of the center of myrtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area