Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times

Advertisements

Jane - didn't you post about wanting to visit with your family but your friends told you MB was full of druggies? Have you ever even been to MB? Or are you just going by what your friends tell you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:00 PM

55 posts, read 96,786 times
Default Little River

Please look into the Little River area. We are minutes from Myrtle Beach, but don't have the traffic or congestion. It is a safe area, with schools, hospitals, grocery stores, banks, etc nearby. Moved here from Mass 4 years ago. Live down the street from the police station, library, and registry. We love it here, beach is also 15 minutes away.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM

45 posts, read 75,355 times
Worse than NYC? Poverty stricken? Seriously? Myrtle beach is no way as bad as NYC! That is a ridiculous statement. Myrtle is a tourist city, period. Every tourist city has typically higher crime rates, especially when the police department doesn't seem to be on the ball like mbpd. Best areas are away from the heavy tourism. Carolina forest, murrell's inlet, pawley's island, even some parts of Surfside- all nice pretty quiet, and fairly crime free. As far as people getting their utilities cut off due to poverty, that is also ludicrous. Anyone with any common sense knows myrtle is a seasonal city, yes when it's off season like now, there are way less jobs, because there are way less tourist's- hence the term off season. So you find a job somewhere else, because there are less jobs, but still jobs. Hurricanes happen infrequently in sc, but it can be a reality just like flooding, if it rains alot and you live near a river, lake, etc. It may flood, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that out. Sounds like you need to relocate, you have made some very over exaggerated statements, and if you think NY is better maybe move back there? I lived in windy hill on the beach in Myrtle and had very few issues, people were friendly and nice. I live in Longs now and it is very quiet.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 75,355 times
Yes this is true I am in Longs, and it is very quiet, and still close to the Beach.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM

94 posts, read 95,715 times
Hi, I was looking for some more current posts when I came upon yours. I'm looking to retire in SC in a couple of years. While I don't need to worry about schools, like everyone, I'm concerned about crime.

I'm looking all over SC - Lexington/Chapin/Irmo, the Lake Carolina area of Columbia, Lake Greenwood (on the lake), Longs, Little River, Simpsonville/Easley. I have to be near a lake for boating.

What makes this site and other blogs on this site is that half say yay, the other half say nay. The stats in City-Data are from 2010. 5 year old stats aren't helpful.

So, what to do? Yes, rent first and be sure you like the area. I'm doing a road trip this year. Tourist season will be over. That is one way to see the towns for what they are.

And who to listen to? Locals? Transplants? Hard to make heads or tails of these blogs...they are completely all over the place. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 AM

312 posts, read 516,126 times
I think the crime is blown out of proportion. I have claimed residency in enough states (OH, TX, AR, ID, MO, SC, NY-- and back to SC) to have folks think I am part of the witness protection program (sarcasm). I am very happy here, and I could see retiring here. The only other cities I have lived in in SC -- Mt. Pleasant. Right now I am in the process of finishing a home in Murrells Inlet (next month). I love it here.

I would rent. I absolutely hated that idea initially. I was desperately trying to sell a house (patience is not my virtue) fast so I wouldn't get stuck in a situation where I had to rent and move twice (with a then five year old and dog). However, NY (at least Nassau County on Long Island) takes so long to close, that the reality is I couldn't have sold it in time. It went under contract the week I moved and closed two months later.. sticking me in this rental. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. It gave me the opportunity to find an area I would have never found and a chance to build a custom home. I have colleagues who moved here and said there was no way they were moving twice with young kids. They looked into building and didn't have time. I am thinking now.. to wait eight months or so.. to be able to make sure you get what you want (or where you want) is worth it. Plus, you won't have to dig through tons of boxes to find your elf at Christmas--since no young kids :-) Less unpacking for you!

Honestly though should you end up renting, it has its benefits. I am glad I was forced into it.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 10,732 times
Little River, Myrtle Beach area, Murrells Inlet, just north and just inland from Charleston would all be ok areas. However, some of rural, inland SC might provide culture shock---poverty, less educated tendencies. Suggest you stay on or near the coast. Am not really too familiar with lake areas, except most are inland with the problems mentioned above.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,048 times
Are short term rentals available in Murrells Inlet at a reasonable price for someone looking to buy a home as soon as possible?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,390 times
What would "reasonable price" be??

Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM

312 posts, read 516,126 times
I'm renting in Surfside Beach. Actually I couldn't find a short term rental. I even called real estate companies. I signed a lease on a two bedroom house. I went pretty cheap because I'm not buying it. And having a dog limited me. It is $1150 a month. He is letting me out of my lease April 1. If he hadn't I still would be in it until The end of June. However, it takes awhile to build. I'm glad I looked when I came down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area