Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 48,422 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are wanting to move from the Longs area (which is almost in NC) closer to the middle or southern end of the Grand Strand due to jobs, schools, activities, etc. Being in Longs for the last 12 years we find that it is quite a hike to get to many of the places that we like to go so we often just stay home. One of the areas we like is the Market Commons. I like it, but my wife loves it. The biggest issue for me is the cost with living in one of the communities in the area that is within walking/bike riding distance from MC. It seems like as far as homes go, you pay more and get less. The homes within our price range ($300K-$325K) are all on very small lots. I found the same exact home that we were interested in further south near Murrells Inlet for $40K cheaper and it was on a much bigger lot. I know.....location, location, location. But at what cost? A $40K-$50K premium for living that close to MC seems steep to me. My biggest fear as that we sacrifice lot and house size for location and end up not doing all the "great" things that are available in the MC after a while. It's weird but isn't the whole idea with moving down south to have more space and be more out in the open? Why recreate the cramped feel of living in the big city? We have 3 kids (6, 11, 15) so we're looking at 2400 sq homes on small lots. I guess the question is once the whole "we live in Market Commons" thing wears off will we be happy?

Are there any MC folks here that have any regrets? Is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,572 times
It's only a 10-15 minute drive from Murrells....personally, I would go for the bigger lot. You will kick yourself for living too close to someone.

I don't live in MC, just visited a bunch of times (movies, lunch, the apple store, and other shops)...it is a great little "city within a city". But I think those homes are only about 15 feet apart there. Maybe they have other homes that I don't know of??
Where in Murrells inlet are you looking?? That's where I live.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 AM

174 posts, read 257,642 times
We, too, have the same concern about the small lots. Emmens Preserve is absolutely lovely, but it will take getting used to being so close to the neighbors. Going from an acre to a small lot is an adjustment.

SC here I come, how long have you been living in MI? Are you happy there? Plan on checking out MB and MI next week for a future home. I'll take any recommendations or suggestions you have. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 72,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
We, too, have the same concern about the small lots. Emmens Preserve is absolutely lovely, but it will take getting used to being so close to the neighbors. Going from an acre to a small lot is an adjustment.

SC here I come, how long have you been living in MI? Are you happy there? Plan on checking out MB and MI next week for a future home. I'll take any recommendations or suggestions you have. Thanks.
We love EP, we were lucky, we have a lot that is almost a 1/2 acre. We waited almost 2 years for the lot to open up, but once it did we jumped on it. Our house is a center house in a cul de sac. The houses on both sides of us were angled away from us, so we have privacy & they aren't too close to us. But, then both sides have houses going straight down in a line, right next to each other.

Everyone here has been so nice & welcoming. So far we love the area & we feel like we are "10" minutes away from anything. (Besides MC which is right here!).

Our neighbor on one side of us has downsized, they had an acre & a larger house, he said it has been a little of an adjustment, but he is happy he made the move from NC.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:21 PM

Tracy, you truly lucked out. From looking at it, basically you and only 2 other houses in the entire community of 350 plus homes have a nice sized lot. BTW, nice house. :P

MC is a real nice place. Heck, if i was a single guy, i would look into one of those condo/townhouses on Howard
Ave. That place looks pretty cool. But, I'm a married dude. sighhhhhhhhhhhh...lol

Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 PM

GoldenTravler,

We closed on our house in Feb 2014. We made the move exactly one year ago last July. We're in Prince Creek in Murrells Inlet. We love it!!! What's your budget & size house you're looking for?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM

SC here I come, I'm glad you are so happy in Murrells Inlet. We are looking for a single family home (one level), 3 BR, 2B, about 2000 sq. ft, in the price range of $250,000 to a max of $300,000 (preferably the lower end!). We would like a new home, or one that's "close to new". Would like city water and sewer, near a state park, with a low HOA. We have not visited Murrells Inlet but will next week. We want to be in a safe, friendly neighborhood and would like to meet people and enjoy our retirement. Don't need an "activities director", if you know what I mean, but would like opportunities to meet people. I've done so much reading and research and have talked to as many people as I can about "southern living", but I have so much more to learn. This is a big decision for us. I don't know enough about Murrells Inlet, or any other area along the Grand Strand, for that matter to know where to concentrate our efforts. But I'm sure we'll have a good visit and will seek out areas from Little River down to Murrells Inlet. Willing to hear your suggestions and recommendations.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Prince Creek in MI is a master development with many communities. Town homes, condos, single family, Prices range in the low 200's up to something I cant afford. lol
It's about 2 miles from the ocean, and 1 1/2 miles from the inlet. The inlet consists of many restaurants, the marsh walk, and nice views of the inlet. Go a few miles south on 17 and you have Huntington State park with clean, beautiful beaches....right across the street from the park is Brookgreen Gardens. The most awesome gardens you will ever step foot into. I'm not a "tree hugging, flowery " type of a guy...but this place impresses me.
MI is having some major roadwork done to it right now. So when you come for a visit, you will see it's ugly side of torn up roads, trees, and orange construction cones everywhere. The main road (707) will be done in about 2 more years. Wooot wooot!!!
Your 3 choices of Little River, Market Common, and Murrells inlet are 3 winning places to look. Cant go wrong with either one.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 PM

SC here I come, thank you for your info and insights. It's really nice communicating on this forum where people are speaking about their own experiences. It helps people like us who haven't moved yet.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:19 PM

No problem at all....where ya coming from??

EDIT*** I've read your posts before...is it Connecticut?? My mind is mush, and I've "met" soooo many people on here, that I forget screen names after awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area