Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonjoe1950 View Post
DR Horton is building new homes in "The Lakes" in Murrells Inlet where a friend of ours is in the process of building. While the actual construction has not begun, it is very close and has been delayed a bit by weather. You could probably get a very nice, newly constructed house in your range.
DR Horton is building at Lake Shore in Murrells Inlet and the Lakes at Myrtle Beach. The are a mass-production builder in your price range. I won't recommend them, but the have open floor plans that are selling well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
DR Horton is building at Lake Shore in Murrells Inlet and the Lakes at Myrtle Beach. The are a mass-production builder in your price range. I won't recommend them, but the have open floor plans that are selling well.
A couple of other DR Horton communities which I liked are Oceanwalk at Surfside Beach and Tuscany in the Carolina Forest area. Oceanwalk has an indoor pool and it is very close to the Myrtle Beach State Park and to grocery shopping. Tuscany has a section of 55+ homes within the larger community. Tuscany has a nice clubhouse and is convenient to shopping.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM

174 posts, read 258,184 times
Thanks Goldenage. Are the Horton homes built better at Oceanwalk than at Lake Shore? Or is it just the location/community that is different? How do the Horton homes compare to Lennar, Beazer, Pulte, Flagship or others? Some of these homes look good as you go through them, but looks can be deceiving. Down the road you can have problems with leaking rooflines, cracks, etc. No home is perfect, Don't mean to sound negative, but just want as much info as possible going into this decision. Appreciate any info you have on any of these builders. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,936 times
Of the ones you listed, we looked at Beazer, Horton and Flagship when we were considering building. My impression was that Flagship was the best of the three with Beazer at the bottom of the list. Flagship is also locally owned and seemed to be more flexible with changes that you might want. Whatever we asked about changing, they were willing to discuss and price out for us even if it wasn't on their options list. With Beazer and Horton, if it wasn't on their list of options, they would not even discuss a change to their floorplan/house.

We also have several friends who own Flagship homes and they've been very happy with them.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 AM

174 posts, read 258,184 times
Thank you CTYankee. In another thread you talked about the pros and cons of HOA rules. You are "right on"! They can be good for keeping the neighborhood in good shape, or they can be a royal pain. Just wondering, do most HOA communities allow pickup trucks? There's a very nice subdivision in Sarasota, FL that would not allow owners to park a nice small pickup truck (no garages), also beige or very neutral window coverings were required, etc. The place was immaculate, but lots of rules. I guess we'll have to go over the documents carefully before signing. Is it true that as the years go by, the association board can vote and change the regulations? And too bad if you don't like it? Since I've been reading this forum, I must say, CTYankee, that you have answered a lot of questions for people on this forum. Thank you for you wisdom and sharing your knowledge to help all of us make informed decisions.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
Are the Horton homes built better at Oceanwalk than at Lake Shore? Or is it just the location/community that is different? How do the Horton homes compare to Lennar, Beazer, Pulte, Flagship or others?
I believe the Horton homes at Oceanwalk are the same quality as at Lake Shore. I was just interested in Oceanwalk because they have a great indoor pool and it is located very near the beach. Horton took Oceanwalk over from another builder. The other builder was offering some fancy gingerbread on their houses, and they were too expensive for the market.

I consider DR Horton about the same as the other mass builders like Pulte and Lennar. My neighbors with Horton homes complain about walls and floors that are not straight. I also think their A/C is barely adequate, etc.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 AM

790 posts, read 1,625,936 times
LOL, goldenage...rooms that are not square are pretty much the norm for all but top quality builders. You don't really notice it unless you try to put up a chair rail molding that won't meet at 45 degrees (as I did) or you put in a floor with straight lines and the line gets wider at one end.

goldentraveler...every HOA is different with different rules so read the by-laws and covenants very carefully before signing on the dotted line. I can't tell you the number of people who bought a house in our development and never even asked for, let alone read, a copy of the covenants before buying and now complain about the rules. In most HOA's the covenants cannot be changed by the Board alone...it takes, usually, a 2/3 vote of all the members. For example, our covenants prohibit renting a home for less than 6 months and it would take a 2/3 vote of the members to change that. However, covenants sometimes leave a lot of leeway and Boards can change some rules depending on the whims of the Board. For example, our covenants have some high level rules about our pool (residents only, etc.) which would take a 2/3 vote to change but the Board has a lot of discretion when setting the hours of the pool, whether food/beverages are allowed, etc. So, in addition to the covenants, you might also asked for the existing rules in addition to the covenants.

Regarding pickups, I have not seen a local HOA with rules against pickups but I also have not been in the high-priced homes HOAs which might be more likely to outlaw them. Our development has a rule against vehicles with a business advertisement on the vehicle. It must be parked inside the garage. This is to discourage a business owner from parking his fleet of trucks in his driveway when not in use. The rule you mentioned about neutral window coverings blows my mind...I definitely would not want to live there!!!!! Most rules have a good purpose (to help maintain the community and property values) but some HOA boards let a little power go to their heads. Fortunately, so far (knock on wood) our Board thinks about what is best for the neighborhood rather than what's best for them individually and none are on a power trip...just trying to serve the community. We'll see what happens with the next election as only one of the 5 board members are running for re-election.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 12,371 times
We also conducted our own research into the Myrtle Beach area. We considered from Little River to Murrells Inlet. We've decided on Berkshire Forest, a section of Carolina Forest in Myrtle Beach. Berkshire Forest has a Lifestyle / Activity Director and that is what attracted us to that area. It's also a natural gas community. Contact Tonyia at tonyia@myrtlebeachschomes.com She is terrific! Good Luck in your search.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,704,112 times
I looked at a number of places in Berkshire Forest, I really liked the area.I eventually purchased in Market Commons. I'm sure you will be happy there.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 12,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I looked at a number of places in Berkshire Forest, I really liked the area.I eventually purchased in Market Commons. I'm sure you will be happy there.

Hi Retire in MB -We will be heading down to MB and looking at both areas. What is it about Market Commons that attracted you to it? Both areas are a consideration for us. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area