Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 04:43 PM

14 posts, read 28,555 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just made an offer on a condo at Wedgefield Plantation in Georgetown. Anyone have opinions on this community? I found some info on the web about lawsuits against the HOA but that was a few years back. I would love to hear some current perspectives on the HOA and the Wedgefield community in general (is it quiet, safe, etc). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Wedgefield is one of the older planned communities in this area. Generally speaking, home values have not held up relative to other markets. That can be nice when you're buying, but not so nice if you ever decide to sell. The last time we were in their clubhouse, it was showing serious signs of wear and neglect. That's been almost a year ago, so it may have been addressed. I don't know whether homeowners are responsible for building maintenance or not. If I were moving there, that question would be near the top of my list. I'm not a golfer, but as I recall, someone bought out the course a year or so ago. I haven't heard any more about that. My casual impressions were that Wedgefield was a scenic and quiet location, but I was not looking at it as a prospective homeowner.

The HOA has been involved with a number of lawsuits. There was a battle royale over plans to dredge the canal leading to the river, and who would pay for it. Some wanted only the property owners on the canal to pay since they were the only ones who benefited, while others (those who lived on the canal) wanted all HOA members to pay. At one point, the lawsuit expanded to whether the HOA even had the legal right to dredge the canal, since the canal was state-owned. I guess there was a resolution, but I don't recall seeing it. If you are about to move there, knowing the status would be a good thing, but good luck getting a single straight answer.

On a side note to that lawsuit, SCELP had to sue Wedgefield's HOA to keep them from going forward with plans to dump the dredging spoils onto river wetlands. If you aren't familiar with SCELP, they are one of the few remaining good guys who give a damn about what we used to call our "precious environment." <<Read More>>

The Wedgefield Examiner is an individual's blog that makes for interesting reading. She is obviously a disgruntled resident, but I suspect she's not alone. I'm sure the HOA board also has their side to these stories, and I'm sure there are residents who disagree with her. Still.....

Have you ever thought of knocking on a few doors, just to ask a few residents how they feel? It's not an easy thing to do, but it can be an amazing way to get the inside scoop and learn a few new things. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 28,555 times
Thank you, PawleysDude, for this informative answer! I did find the link for the Wedgefield Examiner and info about the lawsuits- very concerning. As it turns out, my lender just informed me that their HOA does not have enough money in reserves and thus no one would be able to get financing to buy there. I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to sell their home at Wedgefield. I have to say I am relieved that my condo purchase fell through after reading your post and talking to a friend who used to live there. It sounds like they have had problems for years.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
There is a lot of misinformation in these post. The wedgefield plantation association (WPA), the condos, and the golf course are three seperate entities. The WPA is well managed and has sufficient reserves. There is no issues with getting a mortsge in wedgefield. The SCELP lost its lawsuit against the WPA and the canals were dredged in 2009

Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,477 times
Wedgefield Homeowners board (All Canal lot owners) illegally obtained a loan to dredge canal without the members approval and then tried to have the entire community pay for their canal dredging. The board didnt want to wait their turn with the Army core of engineers to dredge the canals.That turned into a big lawsuit and that broke up into many smaller lawsuits. The end result was banks stopped approving mortgages on properties while there was litigation going on. The old board destroyed a nice peaceful community with their dirty tactics and the entire community suffered because of it.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,593 times
Default A Realization Needs to Occur in Wedgefield...

Wedgefield Plantation's home values and neighborhood character are interdependent on the golf course, the canal system, the HOA itself, and the residents. Although I had not yet bought my home there when the dredging fight was raging, it's obvious to me that the property owners failed to realize that basic principle. The argument that the canal doesn't benefit anyone but the canal lot owners would be the same as one of them saying the golf course doesn't benefit a non-golfing canal owner, or that certain non-through streets don't benefit non-residents of those streets, so why should others have to chip in for the maintenance? Think about it. The entire neighborhood depends on stable property values throughout. Now I've heard the golf course is closed and is becoming overgrown (I've been away for the last 3 months...) and the HOA is wrestling about taking over some or all of the maintenance -- take heed HOA and all property owners that fought getting the canals dredged! Your BS arguments are now coming home to roost, and I will stand against any responsibility for the golf course just as you all did against the canals, until such time as language is placed in our agreements that outlines what is truly fair and beneficial to ALL.
Bob McRae

Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 27,854 times
This was all good information to know, although it has been a few years back. I would welcome current information regarding where it is now. We are looking to move into that area, so would welcome feedback. We are retired and were looking to locate somewhere where it would be good place to do that. Our Kids live on Mt. Pleasant and grandchildren in NC and were hoping this would be a good option. Looking at Wedgefield Condo's and just wondered if it could be an option or not. Thanks so much, these boards help so very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area