Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 AM

55 posts, read 96,911 times

Advertisements

I retired and moved to Little River a year ago. I love it here. After selling my house in Mass, I was able to buy here without a mortgage. Our house has no HOA. We are 15 minutes from the beach, and close to highways, shops, groceries, banks, and minutes from Myrtle Beach, but with little of their traffic. Please look into this area. I think you'll love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 7,954 times
One of the things I am having difficulty with is getting a Realtor that wants to go the extra mile to provide us with a complete financial look at all things South Carolina. Yes, coming from NY we are taxed beyond ridiculous but being retired there are a number of things we need to know before we move to a state where our retirement will be taxed.

Perhaps this is too much to ask of a Realtor?

Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_me_outta_ny View Post
One of the things I am having difficulty with is getting a Realtor that wants to go the extra mile to provide us with a complete financial look at all things South Carolina .... Perhaps this is too much to ask of a Realtor?
Agreed. Realtors are not financial planners. You should educate yourselves. There are many miscellaneous taxes in Horry County which I don't understand. Perhaps you can pay an accountant for a preliminary tax estimate.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM

37 posts, read 52,657 times
Leetchy2: Thanks that will give us something to look at when we get there in April. Some of the communities have neighbors real close on each side and some you can see from the back. It is not a deal breaker to have them somewhat close on the sides but would like to have a green space in the back. We have 2 senior dogs and would like to a fair sized back yard, preferably with a fence.
Lizamy: In little river are you in a community or somewhere else. Since you live there where would you recommend? We met some nice people there when we vacationed near Myrtle this past summer.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM

[SIZE=5]get_me_outta_ny[/SIZE]
Something we found out is that you are not taxed on your social security, you are taxed on your pension. You get a $50,000 tax credit on your property after you live there a year. You pay taxes on your vehicle(s), your sales tax is rather high. Gas prices are cheaper. The information is there but you need to dig for it. I was hoping some of the nice people on this post could give us a breakdown on some of these as well as cost of Utilities, Electric, water, garbage, cable, insurance (car and home) just some ball parks??

Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM

73 posts, read 111,334 times
Thanks Reo for that info I also would love for a local to reply to your post.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

our realtor was Debra Bengstron, who was wonderful at finding out just what our needs and wants were, and finding the right area for us. Which was Little River, and we love it here.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 PM

In Little River, we live in a community named Stones Edge. No HOA, and our house is moderately priced. We have dogs, and fenced in the back yard. People are friendly. There are similar communities nearby with more expensive houses. We are down the street from the police station, library and registry. We feel very safe. We had considered Conway, but our realtor Debra Bengstron, recommended Little River. We are close to everything, including the beach. The taxes are lower here, and believe it or not, safer from hurricanes then in Conway. We are very happy with our choice.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:57 PM

124 posts, read 228,085 times
We moved here to Little River almost 2 years ago and we are very happy here. There is a tax credit on your property after one year but you must be at least 65 years old.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 AM

lizamy and RB1234, thanks for your help and the information. I don't want to be personal but I am trying to put together a budget. Can you give me some idea as to some budget items ie. water, sewer, electric, home insurance,garbage, car insurance, cell phone, cable and any taxes you pay. I can get in the ball park but an accurate account would be nice. Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area