Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM

842 posts, read 2,590,976 times

Advertisements

Trying to arrange accommodations to Myrtle Beach but have never vacationed there before and would like some recommendation on where to stay. I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old that loves the water and would prefer to stay somewhere on the beach that has a nice pool with water slides etc.

I was told that North Myrtle Beach is less traffic and more for families which is what I am looking for. I rather to stay where it is less crowded and drive to where all the excitement is . I am looking at Labor Day weekend as my possible target weekend. Any suggestions folks? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,880,576 times
I think North Myrtle is a bit nicer. We stayed in the southern end when we went. Hampton Inn Oceanfront. Nice hotel. Lazy river type pool, no slides.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM

635 posts, read 1,619,164 times
Check out Dunes Village Resort - they often have very good deals, especially off season. Beachfront property with 2 indoor water parks - great for if the weather isn't good. The water parks are smallish - lazy river, 2 small slides, 2 larger slides, small pools, but fun enough. They are individually owned Condos managed by Dunes, so maybe there is some luck in what you get, but our unit was very nice. Full kitchen allows savings on food if you don't mind cooking.

I've also heard great things about North Beach Plantation from several sources, though I don't think they have slides.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,366,964 times
I've yet to stay at any location in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach that has water slides with their pools (not saying there aren't any, but I've never seen them). To get water slides, you will probably need a property with some form of on-site water park.

Two options that I've stayed at before are the Hilton-run Kingston Plantation and the Dunes. Kingston Plantation has a myriad of lodging options, from hotel rooms (Hilton and Embassy Suites) to several beachfront condominiums (Royal Palms, Brighton, Margate). Their water park is outside, reasonably large, is free, and is shared among all the properties at Kingston Plantation. The Dunes has two smaller indoor water parks where the kids can head down slides (also free). I prefer the condos at Kingston Plantation more than the Dunes, but they also tend to be more expensive.

North Beach Plantation has an extensive array of pools, but does not have water slides. The condominiums themselves are quite nice. I thought the beach itself wasn't as nice as some other places in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach, maybe because it is adjacent to the inlet.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,273,412 times
Make sure you check to see if any "festivals" are going on the same time you plan to be there. Like I wouldn't wish my enemy to be down there for Bike Week or Black Bike Week.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,950,581 times
The Avista is a nice ocean front North Myrtle Beach resort in the Ocean Drive section. They have several outside pools...plus an indoor and outdoor lazy river. I don't believe there is a slide though.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,222,351 times
We usually stay at Ocean Reef. They have a kids pool that the kids have fun in with a water slide, a small lazy river, a regular pool, etc and are on the beach. I like them because I can get a 3 bedroom condo. We got with good friends so each set of parents has a bedroom and we shack the 4 kids up in the two queen beds in the 3rd bedroom. My kids are 5 and 10.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Island Vista in North part of Myrtle Beach is nice - no slides, but you can see the ocean while sitting at the pool, unique situation due to lower dune structure. The Caribbean in Myrtle Beach has a slide in its waterpark, but can sometimes be a bit crowded due to high number of traditional hotel rooms. We really liked staying at Towers on the Grove a few years back, but they are a timeshare as opposed to a traditional hotel, so there are some restrictions on check-in day, whose name is on the reservation, etc. This spring we stayed at the Prince resort in Cherry Grove beach for an AAU basketball tournament and I was not impressed. Room was a bit rundown (even though it was 3BR OF) compared to the prior 3 properties. Each tower was ~19 floors so waiting for elevators was a challenge.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM

842 posts, read 2,590,976 times
Thanks to you all for your contribution thus far. However, I need to know what you think about the cost of accommodations. So is $200 per night a good price or is that a bit much for a 3 night stay? Trying to get a feel for what is a reasonable price and if this is too much to stay?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,114,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
So is $200 per night a good price or is that a bit much for a 3 night stay?
Why not use one of the hotel booking services like Trivago or Orbitz to get estimates? The Prince Resort quotes $239-302 for Labor Day weekend through Orbitz, so I think your estimate is a bit low for them. The Caribbean quotes $193/night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area