Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,323,189 times

Advertisements

Would you definitely have to go over Labor Day Weekend, or could you go over one of the later weekends in September? I ask because we went down last year for our son's wedding and we intentionally arranged to get into town on Monday night, Labor Day, to avoid the Labor Day Weekend crowds. IOW, we wanted to be coming in as they were leaving. Boy, was that a good idea! The outgoing traffic was bumper to bumper for miles and miles, while we, heading in, had hardly any traffic to contend with, and the rest of the week was peaceful and quiet, with no crowds anywhere.

We have been to MB many times and own a condo there. I honestly believe that MB is one of those places where when you go can make or break your vacation. Avoid the bike weeks at all costs, as a PP mentioned, but also, the fewer crowds, the more fun and the less frustration. Labor Day will be packed, the weeks after that not so much.

As far as accommodations with a water park, the only one I know of that has anything like that is Dunes Village, which is in a very nice area a bit north of the hustle and bustle of the strip. When you get there and drive down Ocean Blvd., you will know what I mean. There is an area of S. Ocean Blvd. around the Boardwalk and Giant Wheel that is party central, AKA "the Strip", and can be pretty crazy. I wouldn't want to stay there with young kids, but that's just a personal preference, I guess some people do and really like it. To each their own.

I don't know much about North Myrtle Beach, but is it a bit farther from a lot of the attractions. I think that a lot of times people say "North Myrtle Beach", as in, the town, when they actually mean the northern end of Myrtle Beach, roughly 48th Ave. and north up to the city limits of NMB. That, to me, is the best area to stay if you want relative quiet but still want to be near the attractions. It is partially upscale residential also, so it isn't just wall to wall high rise resorts like it is farther south on Ocean Blvd. Dunes Village is in this area, and some friends of ours whose kids love water parks always stay there.

http://www.dunesvillage.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM

842 posts, read 2,590,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Why not use one of the hotel booking services like Trivago or Orbitz to get estimates? The Prince Resort quotes $239-302 for Labor Day weekend through Orbitz, so I think your estimate is a bit low for them. The Caribbean quotes $193/night.
Actually, I used booking.com ... you know ...... booking.YEAH

Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Would you definitely have to go over Labor Day Weekend, or could you go over one of the later weekends in September? I ask because we went down last year for our son's wedding and we intentionally arranged to get into town on Monday night, Labor Day, to avoid the Labor Day Weekend crowds. IOW, we wanted to be coming in as they were leaving. Boy, was that a good idea! The outgoing traffic was bumper to bumper for miles and miles, while we, heading in, had hardly any traffic to contend with, and the rest of the week was peaceful and quiet, with no crowds anywhere.

We have been to MB many times and own a condo there. I honestly believe that MB is one of those places where when you go can make or break your vacation. Avoid the bike weeks at all costs, as a PP mentioned, but also, the fewer crowds, the more fun and the less frustration. Labor Day will be packed, the weeks after that not so much.

As far as accommodations with a water park, the only one I know of that has anything like that is Dunes Village, which is in a very nice area a bit north of the hustle and bustle of the strip. When you get there and drive down Ocean Blvd., you will know what I mean. There is an area of S. Ocean Blvd. around the Boardwalk and Giant Wheel that is party central, AKA "the Strip", and can be pretty crazy. I wouldn't want to stay there with young kids, but that's just a personal preference, I guess some people do and really like it. To each their own.

I don't know much about North Myrtle Beach, but is it a bit farther from a lot of the attractions. I think that a lot of times people say "North Myrtle Beach", as in, the town, when they actually mean the northern end of Myrtle Beach, roughly 48th Ave. and north up to the city limits of NMB. That, to me, is the best area to stay if you want relative quiet but still want to be near the attractions. It is partially upscale residential also, so it isn't just wall to wall high rise resorts like it is farther south on Ocean Blvd. Dunes Village is in this area, and some friends of ours whose kids love water parks always stay there.

Dunes Village Resort
Is it still beach weather down there in the lat week of September to the first week of October? That is now the week that I am targeting and the rates are significantly better. I am looking at Dunes or Caribbean Resort & Villas .. any ideas?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,323,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Is it still beach weather down there in the lat week of September to the first week of October? That is now the week that I am targeting and the rates are significantly better. I am looking at Dunes or Caribbean Resort & Villas .. any ideas?
I don't know. The latest time of the year that I've ever been down was during the second week of September last year (because we rent our condo out by the month to snowbirds during the winter months), and it was still very warm, actually hot some days, and people were swimming in the ocean. We are going the second week of October this year and I have been told that October is beautiful there, and no crowds. I guess we'll find out!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Yes, definitely beach weather in Sept. and Oct. And it will be much nicer to be here then than when you were originally planning due to there being a lot less crowds, traffic, etc. Perfect time to come!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yes, definitely beach weather in Sept. and Oct. And it will be much nicer to be here then than when you were originally planning due to there being a lot less crowds, traffic, etc. Perfect time to come!
So I have been hearing ... thanks for that confirmation. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area