Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 PM

31 posts, read 65,358 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are contemplating a move to SC from eastern LI, we have a 9yo & 7yo. Considering Pawleys Island or Murrells Inlet. I have heard good things about St. James school in Murrells and Waccammaw if we go with Pawleys. Any insights into which district is better overall? We are leaning towards new construction which communities will be the most family friendly? According to one builder I spoke to we can get larger plots of land in Murrells vs Pawleys. Also, any builders to avoid? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjfud View Post
Hi,
We are contemplating a move to SC from eastern LI, we have a 9yo & 7yo. Considering Pawleys Island or Murrells Inlet. I have heard good things about St. James school in Murrells and Waccammaw if we go with Pawleys. Any insights into which district is better overall?
I looked at Schooldigger and Greatschools.org and the results are inconclusive. Each of the schools in the areas you mention are rated 7, 8 or 9 in GreatSchools. So, I don't really trust the ratings.

A different measure is the income level of the resident: Murrells Inlet has a median household income of $50.8K, compared to the better-off Pawleys Island with $95.8K. Wealthier households generally translate to better achievement test scores, however the Pawleys figure was just the beachfront.

I hope you find some real parents who can comment. You might try reviving this thread or sending DM's to some of the parents:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...-island-2.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-15-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM

31 posts, read 65,358 times
Thank you very much for your reply! I am sure there are some insiders tips that might be helpful so we can focus our search better!! Would you be able to recommend any specific neighborhoods in either Pawleys or Murrells that would be ideal for a family?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply! I am sure there are some insiders tips that might be helpful so we can focus our search better!! Would you be able to recommend any specific neighborhoods in either Pawleys or Murrells that would be ideal for a family?
Since I am retired, I haven't looked for family neighborhood. Both areas are heavily oriented to retirees and people who want to live in a golf resort. Do you want to live in a golf resort?

FWIW, I lean toward Pawleys Island as the better place for a family. Much of Murrells Inlet looks like a tourist trap, with gaudy souvenier stands, mobile home parks, etc.

I suggest concentrating on the area around Waccamaw Intermediate School as your 7 and 9 year olds would be close to school. Then look for a home in your price range. I suggest looking for large two-story houses, as they will be less like to attract the retirees. The retirees are looking for one-story houses, and you would want to avoid developments designed for them. You might start with the big builders like Lennar and DR Horton. Some of them has been designing models for multi-generation families, and some also allow you to select communities with playgrounds. You definitely want to avoid the ones with bocce courts.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-16-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Much of Murrells Inlet looks like a tourist trap, with gaudy souvenier stands, mobile home parks, etc.
Excuse me?? The Murrells Inlet I live in looks nothing like that. Perhaps you are referring to the strip of Business 17 North of Murrells Inlet (Seaside and Garden City), but not Murrells Inlet!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Excuse me?? The Murrells Inlet I live in looks nothing like that. Perhaps you are referring to the strip of Business 17 North of Murrells Inlet (Seaside and Garden City), but not Murrells Inlet!
True! Can you suggest a family-friendly area for the OP?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM

253 posts, read 470,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post

I love Murrells Inlet and tmozer is right...it is beautiful, warts and all - c'mon it's the beach!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
True! Can you suggest a family-friendly area for the OP?
Well I don't know of anything that would make PI or MI not family friendly. However I would look further inland, like in the Socastee area.......

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

96 posts, read 220,417 times
IMO both St James and Waccamaw are good options. They both offer an education and school experience on pare with expections of a well funded school system. Again IMO that can't be said with some of the other schools in both Georgetown and Horry county. Funding short falls at the neck schools are made up for by donations and sponsorships by local bussiness. This is a very big advantage for living in both areas on the neck.
We are more than pleased with Waccamaw schools. Parent ,student and school staff are very motivated and the pride is everywhere. Very refreshing when you hear parents excited about a school system. Teachers are very motivated and the pride shows. It's pretty awesome how they greet the kids with smiles every morning. Many (most)parents choose to drive there kids to school. Most every child is greeted by staff with there first name which really helps to get the day started. The retirees may have a little different opinion on the parents dropping off as traffic is an issue lol.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM

96 posts, read 220,417 times
Quote:
I see you mentioned new construction in your prior post. I believe this will limit your choices as I don't think there are any current new developments in Pawleys / Litchfield area . There is new construction in existing areas on individual lots that can be an option .I believe bridges at Litchfield was the last new development. As far as looking close to the schools for a home , I would not worry about that. While the area may appear large it's not that developed ( by NE standards)and a few miles is really a short distance from the schools. Also in just the last 2 years they have constructed a first class football/soccer faculty and separate baseball complex for the kids. Some areas in Pawleys that have good numbers of younger children are Hagley estates, Pawleys retreat , Ricefields ,waverly mills , and the Bluffs. In Litchfield its the Reserve , Litchfield country club and east of 17 North Litchfield and the Bays in Murrells inlet .There are family's spread though out the whole area. I my highly biased opinion I think this a wonderful place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area