Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,488 times

Advertisements

Best neighborhood for a late 20s newcomer from Wisconsin?

Very good chance I get a job in Myrtle Beach.
How is the rentals for apartments?
I would be an entry level employee, not making too much so I am hoping for an apartment at about 600.

Is crime an issue? Should I worry about safety and vandalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 PM

Please reply

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,359 times
Because of your price range, you're going to be very limited in finding an apartment. The best I can help you with is an area to stay away from...Greens Blvd. You'll find listings in your range but it's crime infested so in that area...yes, you would need to worry about crime and vandalism.

However, there are many places along the Grand Strand to live other than Myrtle Beach...Little River, Conway, Aynor, etc. that might have places more in your price range. Visit Craigslist and put in your price and see what pops up (probably more mobile homes than apartments).

Best of luck with your move.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Because of your price range, you're going to be very limited in finding an apartment. The best I can help you with is an area to stay away from...Greens Blvd. You'll find listings in your range but it's crime infested so in that area...yes, you would need to worry about crime and vandalism.

However, there are many places along the Grand Strand to live other than Myrtle Beach...Little River, Conway, Aynor, etc. that might have places more in your price range. Visit Craigslist and put in your price and see what pops up (probably more mobile homes than apartments).

Best of luck with your move.

-----

I am finding some apartments right along the water... for instance.. a fully furnished apartment located 2701 S Ocean Blvd... for $650...

-Another 404 22nd Ave- $575
-609 36th Ave- $600
-1310 River Oaks Dr- $600

I would want to live in M.B. and not another town.

I will be working for one of the news channels in M.B. and want to be close to the station.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 AM

790 posts, read 1,630,359 times
I'm not familiar with any of the areas that you have listed except River Oaks. However, 2701 S Ocean Blvd is in a resort right on the beach which means that you would be dealing with tourists renting all around you and the noise, traffic and late night stuff that goes on with them. Additionally, condos sell for $39K in the building which is bargain basement prices for right on the beach so I would not expect the investors to be caring much about the condo except that it gets rented every night. The other locations except River Oaks are close to the beach which brings the tourist issues into play. Additionally, consider that tourists pay more than $600/week for their hotel/condo room and that you're getting an apt for the month for the same price...why would the owner of the apt not rent it out on a weekly basis rather than monthly? Just something to consider.

My personal opinion is that River Oaks would seem to be your best bet based on the above observations and Crime Map Beta - Trulia

It looks like there's much less crime on River Oaks and it appears to be a nice area when I drive through. If you can find out the name of the complex, google it and see what kind of ratings it gets from renters. That can tell you a lot about an apt complex.

Last piece of advice...do not rent anything without seeing it live, in person first. Also, if you're working for a tv station, the people who work there are in a good position to tell you about the areas that you're considering...after all...they cover the news and know where bad things happen!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM

I don't mind the noise and the partying, I wanna be as close to the water as possible

BUT,
I don't want to worry about my car getting broken into (it's happened to me twice with my crappy car, and now I got a brand new car).

I guess the Ocean Blvd resort was just taken off Zillow.com so not sure if it's available.

I do like the River Oaks one, it looks nice and it's only about 3 miles from the news station.

Thanks for your help!

Robert

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Please don't ignore my posts. I am looking for legit advice on this topic

Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM

382 posts, read 871,048 times
If you really want to see the crime data go to the city's website, click on Police Dept., then P2C (police 2 citizens). It will have every report filed by officers with PDF files of the actual reports (address, details, etc.). You will learn a lot about the city real fast.

As for your living needs in that budget range, you get what you pay for. You said you want to be in Myrtle proper but you might have to open up to the idea of putting some miles on that new car.

If you do move there and live in a "tourist" area change your license plates fast, criminals target out-of-state vehicles.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM

312 posts, read 734,311 times
Please see the apartments/condos before renting...the cheaper the place, the closer it will be to the "not so nice" areas of Myrtle Beach and you can find a lot of nice places that are just a drive to the water and beach...the closer to the beach, the worse the places are going to be to rent.....just saying and hoping that you take everyone's advice......in my recent research....there is a new apartment complex called The Vines off of Route 31 that are opening in May 2014 and I am sure they will have a lot of deals being brand new....just be careful of the area.....might be your best bet... with your price range....Market Commons will be around $925....

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!!

I didn't end up taking the job, I was offered it but the wages they offered me were WAYYYYY too low. I hope to make it out to Myrtle Beach one day though! Looks like a great place to live!

And if I can't live there, would love to visit at least!

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area